FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Warning - Ben and Jerry's  (Read 19440 times)

Description: New flavor not properly labelled

Offline starlight

Warning - Ben and Jerry's
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
I'm sick as a dog, so I was at the store buying ice cream and picked up a new flavor of Ben and Jerry's, Chocolate Nougat Crunch. I've never had a problem with B&J, I'm comfortable with their cleaning practices, they always seem allergy aware, yadda yadda.

I get it home, I'm eating it, I'm in heaven. Best ice cream ever. I go to the website because I'm going to link to it when I tell all my facebook friends how awesome this ice cream is.

Only to read this on the website: ALLERGY INFORMATION: FUDGE COVERED WAFER PIECES HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED ON SHARED EQUIPMENT THAT PROCESSES PEANUTS, AND TREE NUTS.

HELLO?!?! Am I the only one who didn't know B&J only puts allergy warnings on their website?! I'm not all that reactive so I'm not too concerned, but I'm definitely pissed that I'm going on 24 hours with no sleep and now I won't be able to attempt to sleep for another 4 at least in case of a reaction. About to write a very very angry letter.

Offline Jessica

Re: Warning - Ben and Jerry's
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »
Yikes. I have seen allergy warnings like that on tubs but that is damn scary to think they may not all be marked (since we buy a lot of B&J ice cream).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »
btw I would notify FAAN as well. They are big endorsers of Ben and Jerry's and B&J are FAAN members.

eta: it says this right in the FAQ's.

For specific information about our products, we ask that you continuously refer to the labels on our products as they are the most complete and most up-to-date source for specific food allergen information.   

I'd love to hear what their reply is to you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:40:09 PM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
yeah - I've seen those warnings on other containers...so someone missed something!

I'd call, and also write a letter.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline starlight

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
Here's what I wrote and sent them shortly after I posted. I haven't gotten an auto response. I'm much to sick to deal with the phone or FAAN right now, maybe tomorrow. Maybe then I'll be able to write something more rational, but I'm hoping maybe my honest reaction about the whole matter will get through to someone there. And I'm hoping beyond hope that maybe the wafers are processed in two different facilities and I got a batch that's actually safe because I really did love the ice cream.  :'(

To whom it may concern,

I am beyond angry right now. I have a horrible sore throat and haven't slept for 24 hours, so I went to the store to buy some ice cream to make my throat feel better and discovered the new Chocolate Nougat Crunch flavor. I checked over the ingredient listing, and it looked fine. I've always trusted Ben & Jerry's because of their stringent allergen wash practices and cross-contamination awareness.

I got home, I dug in. I loved it, so much so that I planned to tell all my facebook friends about it and link directly to the flavor on your website. Only to find this listed on the ingredient page: ALLERGY INFORMATION: FUDGE COVERED WAFER PIECES HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED ON SHARED EQUIPMENT THAT PROCESSES PEANUTS, AND TREE NUTS.

I HAVE A SEVERE ALLERGY TO PEANUTS. I double checked the carton, this is mentioned nowhere. So, now I get to spend the next four to eight hours waiting to see if I have a reaction because someone at your company decided that pertinent piece of information wasn't all that important to put on the label.

I realize that the law does not require shared equipment allergen warnings, but your food allergen information page on the same website explicitly states (and has explicitly stated since 2010): "Our policies and procedures are such that if peanuts or tree nuts (almonds, cashews, chestnuts, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts/filberts, macadamias, Brazil nuts, pine nuts) as well as eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, wheat, soy, seeds, and lupin are not listed in the ingredient declaration or in an Allergy Information statement in boldface on the package, then the product is safe to consume for persons with allergies to those ingredients." 

Frankly, I am so livid right now I'm shaking. On top of that, with the illness I'm fighting I can't even think clearly enough to come up with some way you could possibly placate me on this other than covering all my hospital expenses should I end up there. Your shoddy labelling practices and your website's claim otherwise has put my life at risk on a day when my immune system is already compromised. Thanks Ben & Jerry.

ETA: just fixed a spelling error.

Offline starlight

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
Also, thank you for assuring me of my sanity Jessica and Adrienne. I was worried I missed some big "OMG B&J NOT SAFE ANYMORE" post or something.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »
All flavours of Ben and Jerry's available in stores here in Toronto have had a may contain peanut allergy alert on the packaging for several years now so we do not eat any Ben and Jerry's.  Maybe due to strict labelling requirements in Canada?

I read that Ben and Jerry's does not have any peanut-free lines, as all lines are shared with peanut flavours.  They do have a thorough cleaning process but no dedicated peanut-free lines.  Perhaps that is why Ben & jerry's ice cream in Canada has the "manufactured on the same equipment that processes peanuts" warning on all flavours (so we don't buy it).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:22:45 PM by candyguru »
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline nameless

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »
From what I remember -- the Canadian B&J's isn't manufactured in the same place as the US cartons.

But no starlight - you aren't imagining it --- I trust B&J's labels b/c of their strict washing and allergen testing procedures. It's within my comfort zone, and still might be shared equipment, but that's fine for me b/c of their policies.

And yes - they do usually label superbly well.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline starlight

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:06:03 PM »
Just sent a message to FAAN, since B&J hasn't gotten back to me yet and I don't want anyone who's more sensitive than I am eating this in the meantime. hopefully FAAN'll see my email and and contact them.

Offline bookedup

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »
Just received the Allergy Alert from FAAN on this...it is great that you were able to warn everyone before something serious happened. :thumbsup:
DS (15) - Allergic to PN, TN, Lentils and Peas.  Outgrew Strawberries, Bananas, Chickpeas, String beans, Shrimp, Crab and Lobster.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
God I love this community.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »
I just got the same alert, and came straight here to make sure others had seen it.
USA

Offline starlight

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »
I'm actually not a member of FAAN, can someone copy/paste the alert so I can see please?  :)

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »

Peanut & Tree Nut Allergy Alert

June 12, 2012

Unilever is voluntarily recalling pint containers of its Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Nougat Crunch Ice Cream: Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Fudge Covered Wafer Cookies & a Chocolate Nougat Swirl (“Chocolate Nougat Crunch”) that are missing the allergen advisory statement, “Allergy Information: Fudge covered wafer pieces have been manufactured on shared equipment that processes peanuts and tree nuts.” This allergen advisory statement should be at the end of the ingredients list but was inadvertently omitted from the recalled product. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to peanuts or tree nuts (chestnuts, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pine nuts and cashews) run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume the recalled product. No illnesses have been reported to date.

The recall was initiated after it was discovered that the ingredient label on pint containers did not include this information. This voluntary recall is being conducted with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The affected product is sold in pint containers with a UPC of 7684020899, and date codes: JUL1113BJ1, JUL1213BJ1, AUG0113BJ1, AUG0213BJ1, AUG2313BJ1, AUG2413BJ1, AUG2513BJ1, SEP2013BJ1, SEP2113BJ1, OCT2313BJ1. The date code can be found on the bottom of the pint.

The product was manufactured in the United States. The product was distributed nationwide and reached consumers through retail stores. No product was shipped outside of the U.S. No other Ben & Jerry’s products are affected by this voluntary recall, including bulk (2.4 gallon) containers of Chocolate Nougat Crunch served in Ben & Jerry's franchised Scoop Shops.

The company is issuing an alert through the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network.

Consumers who have purchased Chocolate Nougat Crunch pints with the affected UPC code and date code(s) are asked to discard any remaining product, rinse out the pint container, cut out and retain the UPC on the side of the container and call 877-270-7397, which is operational 24 hours a day seven days a week, for a replacement coupon. A consumer services representative is available between the hours of 8:30 AM and 6:00 PM EDT Monday through Friday.
USA

Offline starlight

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
 :happydance:

thanks hedgehog. :)