login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Flying Southwest Air- new to PA  (Read 4499 times)

Description:

Offline evergreenmom

Flying Southwest Air- new to PA
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
My son who is four has a recent Dx of peanut allergy. So far he has never reacted to being in the same room with someone eating peanut butter or peanuts however just before diagnosis he ate maybe 1/2 a peanut M&M- spit most of it out and within minutes was having a reaction in his mouth and throat. We gave him Benedryl and within 20 minutes he was fine fortunately.

Anyway, we are flying on Southwest Air next week and it just occurred to me that there could be peanuts on board. I checked their website and it sounds as though I can request in advance that they serve pretzels or what not instead. Anyone have experience with South West?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!!
Me- allergic to MSG and mushrooms and possible gluten sensitivity

My son (born 3/08)- Peanut Allergy

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Flying Southwest Air- new to PA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
I've only flown Southwest once, and I was by myself.  Peanuts were everywhere.  In fact, the flight attendants were tossing them around the cabin (in packages).  I took the first flight out, and the plane already reeked of them.

Definitely call ahead, and be sure to board early so you can wipe down the seats.  Bring a seat cover, since the residue is likely to be on the upholstery.  And by all means bring all of your own food!

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline gufyduck

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
I've flown with Southwest several times since being diagnosed, and besides some hives, have never had problems.  I always mark peanut dust allergy when I book the reservation.  When I check in I remind them and am given a peanut dust allergy slip to give the flight attendants.  I have always made it through security with no questions about the epi pens, clorox wipes, inhalers and nebulizer that come with me.  I have had some questions about hydrocortosone cream, at which point I said medication and showed my arms which were already reacting to something.  They stopped questioning me.  At the gate, ask to pre-board to wipe down the seats.  I have always been given this without question, and have even had it recommended to me by the agent checking me in.  Once on board, I have had no problems cleaning seats, and have never had them pass out peanuts on the flight.  One time they even verified that I was fine with a may contain being passed out.  About 50% of the time the flight attendants have OFFERED to make a please refrain from eating nuts on the flight announcement.  Also, the last two times I have flow, the flight attendants have asked me about if I had epi pens with me and where they were in case of an emergency and I needed help administering them.

Just my experience!

Offline tnmom

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:33:54 AM »
I've taken my fa dd on 3 SW trips (6 flights).  They were all without incident.  There are two important things to help make sure the flight is safe:  (1) Reporting a peanut dust allergy when you book and getting the necessary paperwork to give to your flight attendants when you board and (2) take the first flight of the morning.  The second one sucks for us because we are not morning people and sometimes we have to get up before 5 am to make this work, but it is the safest flight because they clean the planes at night.   Of course, we always bring our own food and wipe down the seats and armrests.

We have not had any problems.    Some of the staff is great and actually overly accommodating and understanding, and some of them a little bothered, but all did what we were told they would.

I ALWAYS take a big baggie with 4-6 Epis (depending on how long we'll be in the air)with RX labels, an inhaler, Benadryl and a doctor's note.  (Our dr's office always argues that we don't need one, but I don't want to be stuck somewhere because some crazy person in some other country got creative with the liquid explosives while we were vacationing.)http://foodallergysupport.olicentral.com/Smileys/default/insane.gif

Offline evergreenmom

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »
Thanks so much for your helpful responses! I have notified them of his peanut allergy and they said they will not serve pnuts on our flight however we did not know about all this so did not plan ahead and book the first flight out. This logic seems a little ridiculous to me anyway... I doubt they are completely eradicating every peanut molecule with each nightly cleaning! If they serve peanuts to every passenger on most flights the entire plane must be just covered in peanut residue!!!

Since Xander has in the past only reacted to actually putting a peanut in his mouth I am hopeful that this should be fine but I just want to be as prepared and careful as possible. Do the wipes have to be clorox or will a baby wipe do?(That's probably a stupid question- sorry- just trying to understand all of this completely!)

As far as Epi pens- I have four and can buy more if need be but theoretically how would this work? My instructions from the allergist are to have two epi's and if one is used to immediately dial 911 and request an ambulance and then administer benedryl. I was told to note the time the epi is given and administer another shot in ten to twenty minutes if symptoms continue and EMS have yet to arrive. So in the air theoretically if he were to start wheezing or coughing or appear to be going into anaphylaxis and I give him a shot do I ask them to land the plane? Do I keep giving him shot after shot and hope symptoms stop?

Also: Should I give him benedryl before we board the plane in hopes of that preventing an issue?

Thanks so much for helping me get on top of this!!
Me- allergic to MSG and mushrooms and possible gluten sensitivity

My son (born 3/08)- Peanut Allergy

Offline nameless

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:35:41 PM »
I've done ok on Southwest, but just prefer not to fly them if I can help it. I bring an old twin size bedsheet and put it over my seat. I've gotten contact hives from surfaces on non-peanut flights. for me, that's all it is and I deal with it --- contact hives.  If I'm eating my own snacks, I'll Wet Wipe the crap outta my hands :)

YES - if your son is having a reaction you 100% call over the flight attendant and they will most likely land the plane. Act hysterical until they say they will. They will probably also ask if there is a doctor on-board. There can be serious side effects from an epipen, and after a reaction you definitely should be at an ER. Secondary reaction, uncontrollable anaphylaxis, blood pressure/heart issues --- better to be safe, land the plane.

Be careful of what he's reaching for an putting in his mouth. On Southwest flights I've found random peanuts on the floor, in between seats, in the seat-back pocket.  I would suggest the sheet-trick...just cover all the surface around him :)

You should be fine :) Lots of precautions to prevent an accident, but really it can be a seamless experience.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England