FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction to pizza  (Read 7559 times)

Description: Feeling discouraged

Offline Ree

Reaction to pizza
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »
My DS has eaten over cooked red baron pizza 3 times with no problems. Last night my DH made it but didn't scrape off any cheese and didn't over cook it. My DS ate 2 pieces and started sneezing like crazy. His nose was running so much.  We gave him benadryl and it stopped.

So, needless to say, I cancelled his raw milk challenge next week. I'm feeling very discouraged. Any words of wisdom??
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:58:39 AM by Ree »
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline GingerPye

Re: Reaction to pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
no chance of egg in that pizza crust?
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline my3guys

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Ree: I'm sorry he had a problem.  If I were you, I would go back to preparing the pizza the way you were before and keep him on that if you're comfortable with it.  Mt. Sinai would try to move to the next level every 6mos-1yr, as a guideline for you to try the pizza less cooked.  I know it's easy for me to say, and harder to do...but we had to play and tweak with the dairy, depending on how he was feeling quite often.  Just my personal thoughts...no medical degree to back it up :)

Offline Ree

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
no chance of egg in that pizza crust?

No, I just double checked the label and there's no eggs..
DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline Ree

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
Thanks my3guys!  I felt like we were moving too quick, but I tend to be over-cautious.  I'm going to keep giving him Red Baron, over-cooked pizza for the next 6 months and then move on from there. 

I guess I just thought we were further along and that was kind of a slap in the face.  :-/
DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline my3guys

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
I hear you. :heart:  At least you're making some progress right?  That's a good thing.  It took my ds four long years (going back 1x a year) to kick the milk allergy.

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
We found that there was something about pizza cheese that was harder to tolerate than other milk products. We dropped the pizza and went back to baked milk. My son was up to a quarter cup of milk and 2 Tbsps butter before we stopped for the trial.

He was just never able to tolerate the pizza cheese, even when we baked it to the point of inedibility.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline Beach Girl

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
I am 17 on baked milk.  The not overcooking it might be the reason.  Also, was it the same type of Red Barron pizza each time?  I do much better on pepperoni pizza than plain cheese pizza.  I think the plain cheese pizza probably has more cheese on it.  We bake the pizza until all of the cheese on the pizza is melted.  Also, is there any chance he microwaved it?  There are microwave instructions on the box, but my mom never microwaves baked milk items.  She says that microwaving it probably doesn`t break down the protein as much.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:23:21 AM by Beach Girl »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
We found that there was something about pizza cheese that was harder to tolerate than other milk products. We dropped the pizza and went back to baked milk. My son was up to a quarter cup of milk and 2 Tbsps butter before we stopped for the trial.

He was just never able to tolerate the pizza cheese, even when we baked it to the point of inedibility.

My guess?  Skim mozzarella is higher in protein load than almost any other type of cheese. 

Lasagna and 'cheese sticks' would probably be equally hard to handle, as are 'low-fat' milk sources.  For whatever reason, concentration seems, at least in some kids, to be just as important as denaturation or overall dose.

RE: microwaving-- even with a good microwave and turntable-- inevitably leaves some areas less 'cooked' than others, and may not get food hot enough (effective temps of only 220-275F aren't uncommon).

(Yes, this is one of those things that we learned in our DIY updosing with milk over the past seven years.)

I second what someone else already mentioned, too, which is that Dairy is one of those things that, even seven years later, we're still having to tweak based on day-to-day threshold.  In otherwords, it moves around about as much as the NASDAQ.  <sigh>
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:15:04 AM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Ree

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
Just an update... we went back to the extremely over cooked Red Baron with one layer of cheese today.  He did fine..no reaction!  So, I guess we'll stay at this stage for awhile.  He's happy, so I'm happy.

Thanks for all your support! :bye:
DS1 (11) - PA
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline aliciapeet

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:34:25 PM »
my3guys--you mentioned your kids kicked the milk allergy--can I ask how allergic they were?  We just started baked milk this year (6 months now)... and baked cheese  last week (not so good as DD reacts if the cheese is slightly not overcooked to death).  Her IGE levels are >100....so she off the charts.  I feel so depressed and discouraged.  Im grateful that she tolerates baked milk and can eat things like bread, chipsahoy, goldfish crackers etc but I want her so bad to be able to tolerate any form of baked cheese.  Although she says she doesnt like the taste of pizza or cheese.  Any suggestions?  Sigh

DD 7: allergic to milk,eggs,all nuts except almonds
DS 5: NKA

Offline my3guys

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »
Aliciapeet: his IGE levels weren't high at all...but he did react with throat discomfort and swelling with incredibly small amounts of milk.

Offline aliciapeet

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
Thanks for the update--I guess if the allergist was concerned about the IGE levels being too high to try baked milk or cheese he would have said so --it just makes it all the more confusing on what the numbers really mean and correlate to as far as reactions go.  DD was diagnosed at 2 months when we tried milk formula and she threw up..accidental exposure since then with same results--we gave her a teaspoon of milk and it caused an itchy throat, hives and upset tummy when she was 5...she is now 7 and its still IgE of over 100 two years in a row...can tolerate baked milk but struggling with baked cheese with tingling in the mouth.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »
The numbers are really of little consequence.  They simply indicate the likelihood of someone reacting.  With milk, anything over 32 means the person has a 95% chance of reacting and anything below 0.8 means they have a 95% chance of not reacting.  The numbers do not have any bearing on the severity of the reaction.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.