FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Portable Benadryl?  (Read 18592 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Portable Benadryl?
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
We've been using the Triaminic strips for a long time...they fit in a fanny pack easily and even better for a wallet.  Ours expire this month and I just learned that they are discontinued.  What is everyone using now?  My kids are 9 and 11.  DS11 weighs over 100lbs and 5ft 5 so we really need an adult dose.  Even if they made the spoons anymore, that's not really going to cut it for this kid!  He'd need to carry 4 of them I think! 

I can't locate a substitute...any ideas?  Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Portable Benadryl?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
There really isn't a good alternative at the moment, since Benadryl strips are also discontinued.

There is truly no good way to carry a fast-acting adult dose otherwise.  The gel caps require water to swallow and take longer to start acting.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline brownie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:53:14 AM »
So what is everyone doing? Carrying a bottle of Benadryl with them?  I can't get 2 boys to carry a bottle of benadryl around.  DH said they discontinued all of the portable varieties due to lack of sales.  That is so frustrating.

Brownie

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:12:51 AM »
Honestly, my DS does not carry Benadryl around anymore.  That's just not happening with an 18 year old.  How I wish the man-purse would become fashionable!

When he did, he carried the Fast Melts.  Are they still around?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline brownie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:34:47 AM »
I don't think so...unless it's an off-brand.  Benadryl doesn't make them anymore as far as I know.  The strips could go in a wallet!  They couldn't be any smaller!  They were totally awesome! 

We've used the Benadryl way more than the epi.  Sometimes it's just handy to have them for environmental allergies that get uncomfortable.  We've offered them to people at the soccer field for bee stings.  Sometimes one of my boys just gets a little nervous he might be having a reaction and it calms him down...ds11 has been feeling ill in movie theaters lately.  We've concluded it's a visual thing but the first time he thought it was the Swedish fish he was eating so he took a Benadryl.  We watched the red dye intake for months! The second time he couldn't pinpoint the cause...another benadryl.  By the third time we concluded it was the movie itself! (he was getting a headache too). But the Benadryl makes him feel like he did something and we're heading it off just in case...the epi isn't a good option in a situation with mild nausea!

Brownie

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
If you decide to go with the spoons, CVS carries them in their brand. I've also found them @ drugstore.com
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline brownie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:31:36 AM »
Thanks - I'll have to go look at CVS.  There may not be a better option...at least it's something.  Brownie

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
I just bought the Target brand of Fast Melts for my son (dumb me realized that I had the pens with me, not the Benadryl after DS1 had an allergy attack in the pet store). 

Adults over 12 need 2-4 tablets (but they were easy open and did the job quick).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »
Thanks, YKW. 

Do you know if those are dairy-free? (I know that is/was an issue for some members.)

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
up&up children's allergy melts

Not seeing dairy from my naked eye -
Active Ingredients:  diphenhydramine HCl 12.5mg
Inactive Ingredients:  D&C red#27 aluminum lake, D&C red#30 aluminum lake, dextrates, ethylcellulose polymers, FD&C blue #1 aluminum lake, grape flavor art #554, magnesium stearate, mannitol, polyethylene and polypropylene polymers, stearic acid, sucralose

For Questions: 1-800-910-6874

(I didn't look to see if they had an adult version of the fast melt because my kids aren't there yet.  I know Benadryl used to have an adult version but DH always preferred the lesser children's version which took the edge off without making him comatose).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline callisto

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:39:17 PM »
The Triaminic thin strips have not been discontinued in Canada.  Probably no help unless you live close to the border. 

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
Fyi, we used a store brand of fast melts and they melted in ds's belt.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline nameless

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
there might some hospital grade or other such fast melty thing or strip that your pharmacist can do a special order on. Has anyone asked?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »
nameless, as far as I've been able to tell, there isn't one.

Compounding work would be done with diphenhydramine in powdered or liquid concentrates for use in gels, creams, saline for IV use, and oral elixirs. 

COULD either concentrate be used to compound a fast-melting single-dose packet for oral administration?  It's doubtful to me personally, given what I know of formulations work.

Unfortunately, this is a pretty specialized delivery mode, and it's one that pretty much has to be done industrially.

Read more about this technology here and here.  Also see here for a discussion of the materials chemistry behind the manufacturing problems involved.  Thinstrips are an example of an "oral film" rather than a FDT.  A discussion of the manufacturing of oral films is here. (That last one is clearly translated into English, but the information, while a little on the over-enthusiastic side, is mostly accurate).

Quick-dissolving TABLETS?  That's do-able.  Oral films, not so much.

Adding liquid to another fast-melting product will cause it to disintegrate (so using a glucose tablet and dropping diphenhydramine ONTO it won't work well), and drying out a hygroscopic material is.... well, difficult outside of a laboratory setting.   

Using powder would require a binder of some sort that is safe for oral use, can be air-dried, and is stable enough to be sealed.  The very properties of this kind of delivery system make two of those competing and contradictory in practical terms-- anything hygroscopic enough to work as an orally-dissolving strip is too hygroscopic to be readily handled in a standard compounding pharmacy at normal humidities.  You'd need to make and seal them in a glove box under nitrogen, probably, if they were to be shelf-stable for months at a time.  <sigh>

Chewables or rapidly dissovling tablets can be compounded with simple dry-compression methods-- but what would be the point, since those are still commercially available, YK? 

Theoretically, you COULD use topical diphenhydramine products, which are readily absorbed systemically.  The problem is that dosing is so darned unpredictable because it depends on both volume delivered and on surface area covered as well as rate of absorption through the skin.  Darnit.

We, too, were HUGE fans of these strips.  You could actually stuff a couple inside the carry-tubes with an epipen, and as brownie noted, put a couple in a wallet, for heaven's sakes!  You certainly can't do that with fast melts, nevermind with a premeasured spoon.

The other nice thing about these was that it was possible to split the dose up by tearing the strips into halves or thirds.

Western U.S.

Offline callisto

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
I wouldn't mind buying some in Canada and mailing them - I will be in the USA next week.  Not sure if they would be damaged in the heat, though - the box I bought recently doesn't say what temperature range it needs to be stored at.

I assume these are what you are looking for:

http://www.triaminic.ca/ca_en/products/100036_ingredients.shtml#