FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Portable Benadryl?  (Read 18596 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Portable Benadryl?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
Wasn't Benadryl one of the companies that struggled with recalls and pulled stuff off the market in their march to clean?  I don't necessarily think it was a lack of market as much as most of the Benadryl products disappeared off the shelves.

It seems like places like Up & Up (Target), CVS and Walgreens have seen and filled the need in regards to spoons and fast melts - wonder if we could lobby for them to bring back the strips?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
This is the sole reference that I've found to a formulation which is suitable for compounding work.

http://www.ijpc.com/Abstracts/Abstract.cfm?ABS=3282

The only references that I've found to premanufactured strips for compounding work are 'robitussin' ones, and they, too, have been discontinued, apparently.

My guess is that the strips are relatively expensive to manufacture, and therefore the margin just isn't very high on them.  What truly sucks is that this is one instance in which a compounding pharmacy can't really substitute for the product.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
I wouldn't mind buying some in Canada and mailing them - I will be in the USA next week.  Not sure if they would be damaged in the heat, though - the box I bought recently doesn't say what temperature range it needs to be stored at.

I assume these are what you are looking for:

http://www.triaminic.ca/ca_en/products/100036_ingredients.shtml#

Those are them.   :yes:

I still have two boxes, because they've been occasionally hard to find over the past two years, so I've always stocked up when I found them in stock.

I wonder, though, if a US pharmacy would be able to order them in special for us?  They haven't been pulled because of any safety concerns, after all-- they just aren't marketed here anymore.  I might have to make a few phone calls and find out.

Hmm.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline callisto

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
The Triaminic website says they were discontinued due to lack of sales.  There were no recalls and remaining product in stores and homes is fine to use.

Offline maeve

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Didi M.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »
Researching today, and found the following, both with the ingredient diphenhydramine, but in larger doses - good for my teenager:
Unisom SleepMelt Tablets
UrgentRx Allergy Attack Relief to Go
Both are available on Amazon.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
Love the product description. They are targeting a market for sure. And I'm thrilled with that.

Ugh--will not fit perfectly in a wallet like the Benadryl strips used to.

Offline nameless

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:41 PM »
so I found generic grape melti-mouth tablets for 12.5mg of diphen.hcl in CVS :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »
Oooooh, I'll be heading there tomorrow.  What a find!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Beach Girl

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
I use Zyrtec.  The adult dose is either one of the 10 mg tabs that you put on your tongue and it dissolves or two of the 5 mg chewables.  Our allergist says it works faster than Benadryl.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »
I think for girls it's a lot easier, and it always has been. They can easily carry around things in a purse most of the time. The reason we have really missed the Benadryl and Triaminic melty strips is that the Benadryl tablets and little spoons are not easy forbteenage boys to carry in their pocket--along with 2 epis, Auvis and a cell phone (thank goodness out DS doesn't have to carry his inhaler all the time). Oh, and a wallet.

I will order these and assume one can fit into the wallet and is okay folded.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
I got tiny little bottles from The Container Store that don't leak and put a dose in each one.  Each epi kit has two bottles, each with one dose in them inside a zip lock freezer bag just in case.  In all these years they have leaked out only twice and that was from movement of the lid as it got jostled around, not from the bottle leaking. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
Yep, when DS was little we used those bottles, too. They are just amazing. I'm not thinking of the name--starts with an N. They work really well with a purse or bag situation.

Jemma2

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
We use the Target brand fast melt tablets too.  I would squeeze about 4 of the tablets into his epi carrier (AllergyPack).  But I would find that after a while they would start to get sort of crushed and powdery and I figured if someone tried to open them up the tablets wouldn't be very usable.  I actually just recently found that I could fit 4 tablets (unopened, but cut into individual squares) into an empty mini-Altoid tin.  I put a label on it and stuffed into the AllergyPack.  This way they shouldn't get crushed.  It's not a great fit into the AllergyPack, but it works.