FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New here learning about my food allergies  (Read 2100 times)

Description: New and allergies

Offline lauracats0323

New here learning about my food allergies
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »
Hi I'm new to this forum and am 42 years old and am finding out that I not only have a gluten intolerance but also have been having more severe skin reactions to various chemicals in different foods. I had gastric bypass surgery earlier this year and am glad to have my weight under control but it seems like everything I eat that is not natural leads to skin rashes and itching especially on my face. I am keeping a spreadsheet of the foods I am having problems with and the type of reaction I had and how immediate. I finally found some sugar free gluten free candy I can enjoy as a treat once in a while but discovered I am probably allergic to some of the dyes or artificial ingredients. Bummer. How did you learn what you are allergic to? I already see a dermatologist for eczema and allergies but so far I didnt think they were food related. Now I'm finding they probably are.

I dont know where to start but wanted to say hi.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: New here learning about my food allergies
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Most of the people on this forum have experience with life-threatening reactions to foods, either in ourselves or in our children. 

So our journeys begin with trips to the emergency room (or just reactions that we treated ourselves and got lucky with in our ignorance)-- breathing difficulty or widespread swelling and immediate hives are fairly common, and symptoms of shock are also fairly common. 

My flippant answer to your question (quite a common one), therefore, is usually-- "the hard way."  Sometimes it can be hard to pinpoint which thing was the trigger, but believe me, there is generally NO question that it's an allergy, probably to food.  Very tiny amounts of the offender may lead to symptoms like eczema or rashiness, but those symptoms are often more related to environmental allergies, or occasionally to celiac disease.

My advice to you?

See a board certified allergist with experience in food allergy in particular.  Start keeping track of WHEN your symptoms begin after eating.  Be sure to bring your food journal with you; a good clinician can definitely figure out a LOT with that kind of data!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:04:27 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.