New school form jut as bad?

Started by MomTo3, August 16, 2012, 10:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MomTo3

After fighting with the school they have redrafted the med administration form. I am thinking I am not any happier about this.  It reads:

We (I) the undersigned, who are the parents/guardian of ____________ request that the administration of a drug be supervised in accordance with the instruction of out physician, ______.  We understand that said drug is to be administered under the supervision of a member of the trained school staff, unless overwise directed by our physician.

So this (to my untrained legal view) means they expect my 5 year old to self administer his epi pen and benadryl with someone "watching" him.

Thoughts?

LinksEtc

Quote from: MomTo3 on August 16, 2012, 10:01:04 AM
After fighting with the school they have redrafted the med administration form. I am thinking I am not any happier about this.  It reads:

We (I) the undersigned, who are the parents/guardian of ____________ request that the administration of a drug be supervised in accordance with the instruction of out physician, ______.  We understand that said drug is to be administered under the supervision of a member of the trained school staff, unless overwise directed by our physician.

I wouldn't sign it.  I would underline the part in blue and direct the school to a letter from your allergist saying that the school staff must administer the medication (not just supervise) if it is needed, according to your doctor's directions (ex.- Food Allergy Action Plan).

How is your 504 process going?

MomTo3

Thanks.

We do have a 504. They agreed to everything we asked for.  I have had parents on other allergy boards say they specifically put in the 504 that a trained staffer must give it.  Just trying to decide if that would cover us (goodness forbid) something happens.  I will look at our FAAP but I don't think it specifies who has to give it.  I have to get this figured out ASAP because since these are new forms I have to get them to the allergist who has been on vacation for a week and get them all in order before next week.

socks on a rooster

I wouldn't sign it either. Here is the wording on ours when we were enrolled in the district.

"My child will be responsible for transporting/carrying the indicated medication and/or supplies and will require the assistance of the xxxx School District to administer per the physician's orders. My child agrees to follow the district's medication procedures and guidelines concerning the handling and administration of medication and/or supplies."

MomTo3

Should I just take the forms to a lawyer and see?  I just feel like now we are in a time crunch.

CMdeux

I've modified forms that I don't like.  I've literally added to, or lined-through, problematic areas, initialled those, and signed the bottom.   :thumbsup:

Specifically, I've added a statement re: "unless doing so would violate {child}'s 504 plan."
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview