FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Disney World-Help, Over-whelmed  (Read 3874 times)

Description:

Offline anxious

Disney World-Help, Over-whelmed
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
I've never flown and never had been to Disney. So far I've been trying to find on the boards info about Walt Disney like?

1. Best Airplane service with PA/TNA little ones?
2. Dining Experiences with PA/TNA
3. Tips and recommendations when at Disney.

I've been looking into it all and my head is spinning.
Any recommendations for picking out flight, what to bring on the flight with allergic little ones both food and to keep them busy.

Where to eat that's safe and fun. If character dining is included in the meal plans or if not if they are worth the cost.

Just feeling so over-whelmed in trying to plan a fun and SAFE trip.

Offline Mezzo

Re: Disney World-Help, Over-whelmed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:14 AM »
It is overwhelming, but you can do it. Go online to Disney's food allergy help and contact them for the restaurant information you need. They'll give you a big list and tips for managing it.

Because of where we live, we flew with Sun Country, which does not serve anything peanut (the only FA we deal with), but I believe they do sell a tree nut thing.

Good luck! You can do it, and you will love it. Disney is the best for FAs.

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »
On the plane, we brought food for DD in case we got stuck on board, but she did not eat, per our plan. Just easier not to have to deal with an unexpected emergency in the air.

How little of little ones to entertain?

Offline anxious

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
4 and 6

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »
We stayed at at the Yacht club and would walk over to the Beach Club's Market for breakfast every morning.  We didn't want to have a sit down breakfast except for Chef Micky's which was awesome.  If I remember correctly, no peanuts or tree nuts were used in the entire buffet, but you should check again.

Our plan was to be there when the park opened and leave when we needed a break so we could nap or swim or just regroup.  Just know, especially with younger children you cannot do it all!!  Pick and choose what you think the kids want to do most.  We let the kids pick what interested them the most and made sure to get those rides/attractions done first.

We had dinner reservations every night except for one and I think that was the hardest night to find dinner.  Kids menus had typical stuff...mac & cheese, pizza, etc. was served with veggies and/or fruit.  When you make reservations on line, there is a box to check that says special diet and just click and it will give you the opportunity to specify food allergies.

We ate lunch at the parks.  Counter service restaurants have a notebook with all the ingredients.  When you go up to order, tell the person you have food allergies and you will be asked to wait for the manager.

I carried snacks and we bought water at the parks.

Are there any restaurants in particular that you are interested in?

Offline anxious

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:39:11 PM »
I was still looking at rooms and deciding what package to take. I have no clue when it comes to restaurants. Do you have to pick those in advance?

Also, with airlines. Is American better vs. United. When reading reviews, I'm not to fond of either. Delta seems to be good, but that one has a stop. So trying to see if it's worth the layover to stick with Delta or if anyone else had good expereriences with American or United airlines?

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »
we ordered food for breakfast from a local grocery store and had it delivered the day we arrived...I stocked the room with, safe cereal, granola bars, bananas, apples, milk, juice, cheese sticks, graham crackers...goldfish...etc...also had them deliver a 12 pack of diet coke (for me) and a case of water (it is SO expensive) (and a bottle of wine for the adults in rooms - my mom had an adjoining room to ours :hiding:).  We had breakfast in the room everyday EXCEPT the day we did a character breakfast (w/Pooh's gang at the crystal palace)...saved a lot of $$$. 
Two favorites were 1 night we ate at the 50s diner where you have to mind your manners and another we ate at the dinosaur restaurant (it's a little loud - I'd avoid this if you think they might get scared - my boys are older).  We would tell our server and the chef would come out to talk to my son.....GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!
Have fun!
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
Yes, on making dinner reservations in advance, especially with younger kids.  Otherwise you could be sitting down to eat at 8 or 9 pm.

I agree with momtoAD that ordering groceries would be a great way to go.  DH would have been hard to feed that way (won't eat cereal, bars, etc).  Just make sure you have a room with a mini fridge.

The dining plan can save you money.  We did not do it just because DD was too old for the kids one so we weren't sure it was really going to work out for us.  Plus there were specific restaurants we wanted to go to.

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »
How old are your kids and what sort of food do you like?  What sort of FA's are you dealing with?  We've been several times with PA dd. We LOVE the food there, and they really do FA's really well.

Yes to the groceries.  We used Garden Grocer.  You order online, but if you call them, you can also order beer.  ;D

Yes to advance reservations.  Make them at least a month out, much longer for certain places.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »
Food allergies in Disney are not an issue. If you want specfic places I have been,and we have been to quite a bit, let.me know or look up my old Disney threads. Feel free to pm me.

Or pick a place and just make a reservation. They have a check matk box fot allergies. And you can fill out a chart that they will send to resteraunts.

Delta was amazing. Took it very seriously,and we did have layovers. No issue preboarding to wipe.down seats,and they cared.  I am planning on using them to go to AZ. This year.

Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »
On my phone,so sorry if its a bit short and to thepoint.

I loved The Crystal Palace-buffet style breakfast with Pooh Bear.

I loved Fultions Crab House in downtown Disney

Raglan road Irish pub was also great.

As for.in the parks, sci fi theater was awesome,Hollywood.and Vine was yummy, Tonys Town square was cute and fun. Really, you can't go wrong anywhere.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin