login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Halloween/Fall 2012 Safe Candy thread!  (Read 9665 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Halloween/Fall 2012 Safe Candy thread!
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
Please be sure to list WHICH allergens the item is free from-- or which it contains warnings for.  THANKS!!

My recent find:

Gimbal's Jellybeans in a HARVEST MIX.  Soooooo good.

These are top-8 free.

Also found:

HUGE bag of Smarties (the little rolls of American sweet/sour candy, I mean), which are generally top-8 free as well (but watch out for rebagging!!):

If the UPC number on the packaging begins with "0 11206", you can be assured that the product was packaged in one of our manufacturing facilities, and the allergen information on this page applies to that product.

I also found a huge bag of Sixlets (also peanut, egg and treenut free-- made in a peanut-free facility)) in individual packaging for Halloween. Those are NOT milk-free, for anyone concerned with milk (whey, from the label), and contain soy lecithin.  While not marketed as gluten-free, I don't see any ingredients that raised my suspicions there.

HTH as we get rolling this fall!   :heart:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

Re: Halloween/Fall 2012 Safe Candy thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
Sixlets themselves are gluten free and produced in a gluten free facility.  But the company that manufactures them (SweetWorks, Inc) does not recommend any of their other chocolate products for those who are avoiding gluten (different facilities, malted products).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »
looking for the latest in candy corn --- NOT the candy corn Oreos --- that doesn't sound good to me.   :P
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »
Halloween Peeps are out (always check each package though but they have awesome clear labeling). 

We have determined that Em is obviously in the wrong because while she wolfs down all candy she won't touch Peeps with a 10ft pole regardless of the shape it comes in.  Strange child.

Dots (Tootsie) in the past has offered the one safe version of nut, gluten and egg free "candy corn" available for DS1.  No, it's not the same but that is all he knows.  I haven't seen it yet but given my stress level, I am avoiding the candy aisle.  My preference is for the bats anyway (mmmm, blood orange).
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
Candy corn - it's my understanding that Jelly Belly candy corn might be safe.  They have removed peanut from their brand but they are sketchy about tree nuts.  They mentioned candy (other than the jelly beans) is polished in the same bins as tree nuts and inferred it shouldn't be an issue.  (And unless something has changed, I believe it has artificial sweeteners in the ingredient list which we avoid for the kids).

Farley's/Sathers/Brachs - they label well but it's always a gamble from year to year on which allergies it is safe for depending on manufacturing processes.

Sunrise Candy Corn (which can usually be found at the super bargain stores such as Dollar General and Dollar Tree) has been labeled as nut free in the past but I believe it had egg in it.  I know some avoided it because it was manufactured in Mexico.  I have not vetted it's safety this year - just putting it out as a possible safe option if this makes sense. 
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »
yeah, it's difficult to find egg-free AND nut-free candy corn.  The Dots candy corn is icky.  My kids aren't thrilled with it, either. 

I love the Farley's/Sathers brands of candy, but Brachs is out for us. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline bleh

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
I bought a few bags of Tootsie products the other day. I did however find it really odd that they didn't put any sort of allergen info on their Tootsie pops. The rest of their products had the peanut free logo on them. I'll be calling them to see if anything has changed with the Tootsie pops.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
So around Halloween, Target usually sells it in a 24 pack of individual size packages.    I checked their website after I bought it and found they have changed their statement a little...

from their website:
Are your products nut-free?
Many people buy Angie’s Artisan Treats products because we create great tasting products that are also sensitive to dietary needs. None of our products are made with nuts. We make every effort to ensure that our products and facilities are nut free, however, our products are not certified nut-free.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »
I saw the Jelly Belly candy corn at TJMaxx.  It was egg free and the label was free of nut warnings or allergen statements.  We have used it in th epast, since the PN free status. 

Be aware that the Harvest mix version has flavors, not exactly traditional candy corn flavor.  I found this just wrong, but dd, having not had much original candy corn in life, didn't care. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »
IT's been years since I've used it (since DS no longer likes Candy Corn, and if it's around I'll eat it all!), but I used to use Blueberry Hill brand.  I found it at Dollar Tree.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:56:29 AM »
Jelly Belly also has candy corn jelly beans (clearly labeled peanut free and from my understanding should be nut free, though some of their products may be tree nut contaminated without labeling.).

Brachs - yeah, no go this year in the small packs for TorT'ers or the large bags.

Zachary is off the list as well.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
I never see Blueberry Hill anymore around here, but it was always unsafe for us due to egg allergy.  Now we could try it.  Dd does baked egg ok, that might be patuerized or processed enough to be fine for her. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Jessica

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
Blueberry Hill is now Sunrise.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 07:38:34 AM »
I have found/bought/stashed away a few safe Milky Way Simply Caramel bars.  The old/safe for PA ones are getting hard to find. I'm still really upset they are now making them unsafe. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline maeve

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
I have found/bought/stashed away a few safe Milky Way Simply Caramel bars.  The old/safe for PA ones are getting hard to find. I'm still really upset they are now making them unsafe. 

We've done the same thing.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber