FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: United vs. American Airlines  (Read 7964 times)

Description:

Offline anxious

United vs. American Airlines
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:53:50 PM »
i am looking to planning my Disney Vacation. Which airlines to use is troubling me. It seems my choices would be united, american airlines or us Airways. Anyone have good/bad experiences with them? Dealing with pA/TNA.

Delta seems really allergy aware, however, with little kids they do not have a straight flight and do not want to deal with a layover with them. please help. The flights scare me.

Offline shoshana

Re: United vs. American Airlines
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
only fly united with dd, who is peanut, dairy and tree-nut allergic.  nothing but good experiences.  they always allow me to pre-board to wipe down her seat and put down a blanket.  they have made announcements asking people to refrain from eating peanuts due to someone on the plane being allergic.  they have even gone so far as to give another girl a free snack box (the flight attendant's idea) when all the little girl had to eat was a pb&j sandwich that she had brought, so that she would not eat it on the flight. 
i wouldn't fly any other carrier.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
I've had much better experiences on AA than United. United's good *sometimes*, but, in my experience, wildly inconsistent WRT policy and enactment.
The 3 is silent.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
I had good flights on United last week, but they sell a treenut snack with sesame. From an allergy perspective, American is far better for us.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:29:14 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:50:15 AM »
So, in reading the news, I see where the reaction was due to a child actually ingesting a cashew.  Dd would never consume any food offered her on an airplane, unless packaged with a label that we know and use regularly, like Rold Gold pretzels or such.   

We have booked flights to Florida, on United.  How do people currently feel about then.  They serve no peanuts.  Dd is 15, and eats daily in a cafeteria with other students eating PB, granola bars, etc...  She plays basketball(everyone touches the same balls) with girls who certainly eat granola bars.  I am thinking she is safe on a flight.  She has also attended sporting events where peanuts are around. 

We had no choices.  it was about the only flight we could get for our dates short of spending $300 more for each member of our family. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »
I would be fine with DS flying it alone. I like AA and USAir better, but he is not TNA. He'd be fine.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

ninjaroll

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
Oldest child's primary allergen is peanut.  He's flown United and Jet Blue quite a few times.