FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Squash recipes  (Read 23689 times)

Description:

Online YouKnowWho

Squash recipes
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »
Acorn Squash with Stuffing

2-3 Acorn squash (slice ends so they will sit flat and then slice in half, scoop seeds and place meat side down in a baking pan with 1/2 - 1 inch of water)
Bake at 350
(We had monsters - they took 1.5hrs, smaller ones may only need 30-45 minutes)

Stuffing
1/2 cup of mixed rice blend  (I used Lundberg)
1/2 cup of wild rice
(Both took 45-50 minutes to cook so I mixed them together and subbed 1/2 cup of water needed for veggie broth)

In another pan brown (I just boiled with a little veggie broth)
1 onion diced
3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
2 apples chopped
1/2 cup of raisins (I will add more next time, but my family adores raisins)
3-4 stalks of celery
1 portobella mushroom cap or 1/2 package of sliced mushrooms diced

Mix with cooked rice mixture.
Salt to taste
(I totally forgot spices - Em started screaming at this point)
1/4 tsp of sage
1/8 tsp of pepper, marjoram, thyme
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
(My recipe also called for 1/2 cup of pecans)

Flip over acorn squash about 15 minutes before they finish cooking and fill with stuffing mixture.  Cook for additional 15 minutes.  (We did have leftover stuffing mixture which I served at the table without baking - it disappeared quickly).

DH added a sprinkling of brown sugar to the boys mixtures - it was awesome without though.  And if you are looking to add meat to this meal, my MIL and I think crumbled sausage would be awesome.

DS1 was so so on it and Em was wary but loved when my MIL fed her as long as it had a raisin in every bite.  DS2 wants me to serve it to him for breakfast, lunch and dinner LOL  The adults really enjoyed it and I think I have found a versatile stuffing mixture that will satisfy all allergy needs :)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Online YouKnowWho

Re: Squash recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
Copying and pasting from the other thread so I can find it later LOL

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
(When I make vegan, I use vegetable broth and skip the chicken)

2 Butternut Squash
3-4 Granny Smith apples cubed (I have used a variety, most like tart to offset the sweet of the squash)
1-2 onions diced
Chicken (I buy bags of flash frozen so I use the same amount of meat my family will eat in one serving)
1 carton of broth (chicken or vegetable)
Pumpkin pie spices (or think in that direction)
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350  (I try to cook the squash earlier in the day because it is easier to handle cooled when scooping for the soup)
Half and scoop out the seeds of 2 butternut squashes (use a mallet to help me get the knife through)
Prick skin with fork
Place meat side down on a baking pan
Bake for 30-45 minutes

Brown onions and apples in oil (or butter) until onions are translucent
Add carton of broth and chicken
Allow chicken to cook through (I will add more water if needed to cover chicken, but not an abundance)
When squash is done, scoop out the meat and add to soup.
Using a stick blender or blender, achieve the consistency you are looking for (ours comes out like baby food mush).
Add spices.

Enjoy

Other recipes have you skip the roasting of the squash by peeling and adding to the water.  My SIL and I agree that the roasting adds something.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
whoa, I think I love you, LOL.  Thanks for these recipes!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
Autumn Stew

3 cups of water or broth
2 T soy sauce (I honestly forgot this but could see how it would add a good taste)
2 onions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, diced
4-8 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound squash (recipe called for kabocha, I used butternut)
1/2 package of chopped mushrooms or portobella mushroom cap chopped
1 15oz can of chopped tomatoes
2T Mexene seasoning (or 1.5tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4tsp black pepper)
1 15oz can of kidney beans (if you like beans you can double it or add diced potatoes instead)
1 can of corn (recipe called for 1.5 cups of fresh or frozen)

Heat 1 cup of water/broth and soy sauce in a large pot, then add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent and most of the water evaporates. 

Cut the squash in half and remove it's seeds, then peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I will be honest that my knife skills stink and this was hard - next time I think I will micro cook it half the time to make peeling easier).  Add squash (and cubed potatoes if you use them), mushrooms and remaining water/broth to the onion mixture, along with the tomatoes in juice and the spices.  Cover and simmer until the squash is just tender when pierced with a fork (about 20 minutes).  Add the kidney beans and corn and heat.

I served it with quinoa (I subbed 1/2 of the water with remaining broth).  Could use rice or potatoes (if you don't use in the stew).  Chicken would taste good in this meal.

My MIL and I liked this one, as did the boys.  It was a little heavy on strangeness for Em (I should really switch seats with my MIL who can turn on the charm to get Em to eat).  DH liked it, but didn't care for the quinoa.  Honestly when made with the broth, the quinoa almost tasted like brown rice (DH doesn't care for rice unless it's in a pudding though).

DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
Trying the squash soup.  On the stove now.  Just cubed and added the butternut to the water with the onions and apples.  it was already peeled and cut in large chunks, so I could not roast in in halves.  Also didn't want to dirty more dishes, hehe. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline SilverLining

Buttercup squash
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:10:24 AM »
DH bought buttercup squash.

My intent was to boil the squash, then mash with butter, salt, and pepper.  Can buttercup squash be cooked this way?

I found some nice baking recipes with Apple, but that would be difficult for such a crowd, with all the other stuff cooking, plus I 'd have to buy more.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Buttercup squash
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
How does it differ from Butternut Squash?  I've never heard of that one!

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »
That's kabocha! I always throw chunks in rice to cook together. Most times I eat the skin as long as I lightly scrape the outside. It's very egg-yolk like.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
I googled the picture....maybe it's wrong.  What DH bought is buttercup.

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »
If not the same it's a varietal. You can do anything with it. Anything your heart and palette desire.

Offline nameless

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »
Buttercup is just another type of hard winter squash --- so do with it like you would for acorn, butternut, kabocha, carnival, etc.

Adrienne :)
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »
Slice it in half, scoop out the seeds, bake it upside down. Then stuff it and bake it right side up.

We use a kit of different stuffings. Apple is great. So are cranberries. Sunflower seeds, breadcrumb, raisins, mushrooms.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
That really does sound good.  Most recipes I've found include apples and brown sugar.  But, that's not going to happen today.

We ended up buying a butternut squash, which will be done for tonight's dinner.  Then the buttercup will get cooked in the oven when there are only three of us.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
Here's my favorite recipe--it's Mooswood's Comprehensively Stuffed Acorn Squash:

http://www.food.com/recipe/comprehensively-stuffed-squash-a-moosewood-recipe-444688

We adapt it for our allergens (so in this recipe, no sage, no celery, and pf walnuts, but we rarely have those).

There's another recipe for acorn squash with an apple and cottage cheese filling. 

Or what I mentioned above, I would balance out the fruit. So two of the three: apples, cranberries, raisins.  Plus sauteed onions or shallots, mushrooms, fennel (we use in place of celery), pf pecans or sunflower seeds, garlic, squash bits.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts