FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Squash recipes  (Read 23677 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Squash recipes
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
Tonight's leftover improv:

Acorn squash, cut in half length-wise
Left over baked chicken (1 piece) shredded
Garlic
Onions
Tomatoes
Canned chilis, drained
Canned black beans, drained
Salt, pepper, cumin, hot sauce
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese

I baked the squash in the oven after scooping out the innards, and rubbed it with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Put it in the oven @ 400 for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, I cleaned and boiled the seeds, then toasted them.

Then I sauteed some onion, garlic and tomatoes.  Added the canned chilis, black beans and chicken, then seasoned the mixture with salt, cumin and hot sauce.

After 45 minutes of roasting the squash, I added the above mixture, sprinkled some cheese on it, and put it back in the oven for 15 minutes.

DH will probably scoop it all out and eat it in a whole wheat tortilla; I'm not a big fan and don't need the extra carbs so I'll eat it as is.

And we'll have some leftover broccoli rabe with it as well.  Lots of Vitamin A tonight, LOL.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
That sounds delicious :)

Tonight was boring acorn squash - cut in half, generous helping of butter, bake while I figure out the rest of dinner.  Add brown sugar at the table.

I got a steal on squash last week at Aldi's.  Tomorrow is roasted butternut squash.  Sunday was butternut squash, apple and chicken soup.

We are operating on Operation Veggie this week, aka operation cleanse.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline nameless

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
OooOoOooOoohhhh - I have a new recipe.

Wash and clean well the outside of a delicata squash. Cut in half, scoop out seeds. Cut into 3/4" cubes. Cut up some shallots into thick slices, or use vidalias and slice into thin wedges. Have some cooked bacon handy. Fresh parmesan or romano cheese too (but not needed).

Get some extra virgin olive oil heated over medium heat in a deep skillet. Saute/brown up the squash and onion/shallot. Sea salt/pepper to taste. Microplane some cheese over it before serving.

Very simple dish. Yummeh.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
Bacon and squash. A match made in heaven.  :thumbsup:

Tonight's improv was delicious.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 05:51:05 AM »
Got an acorn squash here.  Had it for 2 weeks, lol.  need to cook it.  Not with sugar.  Maybe just roast it and scoop it out. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »
Becca I posted a few acorn squash recipes from Moosewood on the previous page.

GN we'll have to try a vegetarian version of that. I often use butternut squash (with spinach and onions) in my layered enchilada casserole (or enchiladas if i take the time) I find squash and sweet potatoes work very well for that kind of thing and often use both.

Okay--when I need a quick dinner I'll use frozen cubed butternut squash and frozen cubed sweet potatoes. They just work so well with black beans and spinach. I'll use the Frontera tomatillo salsa and/or their guajillo salsa (using both works well).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »
Oh, I know, just no time today.  Getting ready for a trip and was thinking more about food I need to use up. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »
Don't toss those pumpkin seeds! Toast or roast pumpkin seeds in your microwave in no time at all. They can can be salted or spiced to suit your palate. The shells are edible and are a good source of fiber. Use this method with other seeds such as acorn squash and butternut squash. Pumpkin seeds are also known as pepitas. Microwave temperatures vary, so keep an eye on them and stir often.
Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 8 minutes

Total Time: 18 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil or butter
Optional: Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, or other seasoning of choice
Preparation:

Rinse pumpkin seeds. Use your fingers to remove all the pulp. Drain pumpkin seeds and discard pulp. Spread out on a cookie sheet to dry overnight.

Place butter or olive oil in a microwave-safe, rectangular baking dish. Heat in microwave on high for 30 seconds. Add pumpkin seeds and toss to coat. Spread seeds out evenly in the bottom of the dish.

Microwave on high about 7 to 8 minutes or until seeds are toasted a light golden color. Be sure to stir every 2 minutes as they are cooking. (Microwave temperatures vary, so keep an eye on them and stir often.)

When done, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, or your choice of seasonings. Toss to coat.

Cool pumpkin seeds before eating or storing. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 months or refrigerate up to 1 year.

If you like your toasted pumpkin seeds extra-salty, soak overnight in a solution of 1/4 cup salt to 2 cups of water. Dry an additional day, then proceed as above.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
So have you found a painless way to remove the pumpkin from the seeds?

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
So have you found a painless way to remove the pumpkin from the seeds?

Last night I roasted the seeds from a butternut squash. I did them in microwave (always did pumpkin in oven).  They turned out good. Slightly different flavour then pumpkin.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
Becca I posted a few acorn squash recipes from Moosewood on the previous page.

GN we'll have to try a vegetarian version of that. I often use butternut squash (with spinach and onions) in my layered enchilada casserole (or enchiladas if i take the time) I find squash and sweet potatoes work very well for that kind of thing and often use both.

Okay--when I need a quick dinner I'll use frozen cubed butternut squash and frozen cubed sweet potatoes. They just work so well with black beans and spinach. I'll use the Frontera tomatillo salsa and/or their guajillo salsa (using both works well).

Initially I was like where do you find this precubed squash because the best I can do locally is a little tray of mashed and masticated squash or on the lucky occasion, I can find precut in the produce section.

But I ran into the bagged cubed frozen squash on Monday.  Yup, I may have to move to NJ just for that reason alone.  My hands are starting to react so badly to chopping squash that I have to wear dish gloves (that are used only for food prep).
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
It's one of the things I keep in the freezer all the time pretty much. It makes it very easy to do layered enchiladas, which I'll do every few weeks. Squash goes so well with spinach and I'll pair then in enchiladas (typically fresh spinach but this week used frozen).

SL have you found an easy way to remove pumpkin bits from the seeds?  I haven't done pepitas in a number of years because it's such a pain to get the pumpkin off.

twinturbo

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
These squash enchiladas you speak of... you have links, yes? I'm feeling the need to inhale an entire buffet without being too meat heavy and I'm burnt out on what I usually make.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »
I just keep rinsing the seeds and really getting in there with my hands.  Another friend swears by letting them soak in warm salt water for an hour.  I have never found it to be that difficult though :/
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »
Sure TT. Can post one later. I do riffs on it, too.