login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New Nut-Free Spread at Walmart  (Read 7880 times)

Description: Bischoff Spread

Offline CookieMomster

New Nut-Free Spread at Walmart
« on: September 22, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
DH found this new product at Walmart yesterday in the peanut butter aisle and brought home a jar for DS to try. 

http://www.biscoff.com/biscoff-spread/

The jar says "Biscoff Spread is a delicious European alternative to peanut butter.  This sweet spread is excellent on toast, in a sandwich with jam, or even on apples!"  It is made in Belgium and is labeled as a vegan product.  It has the color and consistency of peanut butter, but the flavor is very unique.  It is kind of sweet and tastes like shortbread cookies.

I'm not sure how to post a picture, but the nutritional panel is viewable on their website.  Additionally, I found this information in their FAQ section:

Does Biscoff contain any nuts? Should I be worried if I have any nut allergies.
Both Biscoff Cookies and Biscoff Spread do not contain any nuts and are produced in a facility that contains no nuts.
Biscoff Spread is packed in a facility that packs other products that contain hazelnuts. Our packer guarantees 0% contamination for Biscoff Spread with any other products that contains nuts. Biscoff Spread is packed in a separate dedicated line and is never packed on shared equipment used for other products containing nuts.

What are the allergy warnings for Biscoff Cookies and Biscoff Spread
Biscoff Cookies and Biscoff Spread both contain wheat and soy.

Biscoff Crumbles contain wheat and soy and also are packed in a facility that processes eggs, nuts, peanuts and sesame.
DS (16) - NKA
DS (12) - milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, cherries, and watermelon.  (Outgrew corn, wheat, soy, peas, and green beans.)
Environmental allergies to mold, trees and grasses. 
OAS to almost all fresh fruit and vegetables except citrus and grapes

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: New Nut-Free Spread at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Interesting they have changed/clarified their statement about nuts.

Here's the previous thread that we have going...

Biscoff Spread...anyone tried it?

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
I just don't understand how in the world they can call it a peanut butter alternative. It's as much like pb as a cookie is like a nut. There is no nutritional similarity. It does taste good if you like eating icing, etc.  :hiding:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »
We have tired it, but not as a PB alternative.  Dd has it as a sweet treat/snack.  Like cookies. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »
I really wish Walmart would sell Sunbutter.

I spend so little on it at Trader Joe's compared to the $7 that Publix, Kroger, Target, etc want for it.

But TJ's is so stinking far away. 

I know they have SoyNut Butter but I am not really interested in giving that to my sons (research to me is still to sketchy).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Jemma2

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
My walmart in south central Minnesota carries Sunbutter.  But when we lived in southern Minnesota, that Walmart did not.  Maybe yours will soon.

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:05:16 PM »
We have tired it, but not as a PB alternative.  Dd has it as a sweet treat/snack.  Like cookies.

Like cookies?

it IS cookies!

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline bleh

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
I bought both the smooth and the crunchy biscoff spread the other day. We opened and tasted the smooth one. I have no idea what you're supposed to spread this on... I didn't really care for it. I am thinking of mixing it into the next batch of vanilla ice cream to see how it turns out.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
I'll bet it would make a great "ripple" in a vanilla ice cream, actually.  What great idea!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 06:15:58 AM »
Dd dips pretzels in it.  She has not had any for awhile now.  The thrill is gone.  We have 1/3 of the jar left.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 07:28:59 AM »
I like it with sliced apple. Last thing I need, but I like it :)
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
My walmart in south central Minnesota carries Sunbutter.  But when we lived in southern Minnesota, that Walmart did not.  Maybe yours will soon.

At Target, Byerly's and elsewhere in the Twin Cities area, I've only seen the natural SB which I won't buy. I did get regular creamy at TJ's.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »

At Target, Byerly's and elsewhere in the Twin Cities area, I've only seen the natural SB which I won't buy. I did get regular creamy at TJ's.

I did finally hit TJ's  this week but wow?  Their price difference is only $2 now (which is a lot but given the price of gas, I won't make a special trip -$5 at TJ's, $7 at Kroger).  Target locally has Sunbutter up to $9.99/jar.  I was hoping for a cheaper price at Walmart.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
I buy 3 at a time, and lots of other food at trader joes.  And they have good prices on vitamins.  While i do have one nearby now, it was worth the drive once every month or so before.  My kids love the fruit leathers.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »
For our allergy set, I have found little to be safe there.  I stopped altogether when they stopped their great labeling because shopping with kids doesn't allow for calling about a cartful of products.  Now that they are labeling well, stupid things like jams have a shared wheat warning.  WTH?
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA