imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Can I repackage Benadryl into a smaller container?  (Read 8818 times)

Description:

Offline dlibby1angel

Can I repackage Benadryl into a smaller container?
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
My son is too small to carry a bottle of liquid around.  I just phoned Benadryl to see if I could repackage it into a smaller container, without it lessening the effectiveness.  The man was nice, but would not say anything except to always use the dosage cup and use as designed.  Sheesh!  They are so worried about law suits that they can't even answer a simple question!!!

Does anyone here know if I can do that?  They don't make strips any longer and our son now needs to carry it on him when we are at our homeschool co-op. 
DS: Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sunflower, Sesame, Flax, Cottonseed, Lobster....and counting. Rx allergies - fentanyl & codeine

twinturbo

Re: Can I repackage Benadryl into a smaller container?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
What kind of container are you using? I have done so but labeled oral syringes with caps that accompany the original packaging.

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
I do it...and know it's still effective b/c it's stopped hives-in-progress (from a sun rash, bug bites, etc.)

I use Nalgene brand 1-2oz containers, leak-proof, BPA free.

That being said - they are see-thru so I don't leave them out for sunlight to interact with. I've noticed the glass bottles are always colored dark.

Ask the pharmacist where you go --- they'll give you the straight deal.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:26:43 PM »
I also use that Nalgene bottle.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
I also have a couple CVS Pre-Measured Spoon Children's Allergy Liquid Medication Cherry. I may have the last of the batch since I never found it restocked.

Update
I called the manufacturer that supplied these pre-measured spoons for CVS, it was discontinued and they are not currently manufacturing it for anyone else.

Here's what I use Monoject 10 ml syringe w/cap for doses over the pre-measured spoons (5mL).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:10:43 PM by twinturbo »

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »
I have a teeny sample bottle of Benadryl that I keep refilling.  It's dark, so I assume any bottle would be fine if you limit light exposure.  I picked the bottle up from a basket our pedi had sitting by the checkout.  I like that it's labelled and the bottle shape is the exact same oval and the exact same size (width/depth) as the EpiPen protective tube.  You might ask your doc if they ever get samples.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:47:51 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
Oh WOW. Time to call dermatologist and pharmacist friends. However silly it is for me to get excited over such a thing. Rebekah, may I please privately use that photo in an email? I can crop it down to the bottle only.

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
Of course, TT  :)
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline dlibby1angel

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:24 PM »
Thank you all very much for your input.  I really appreciate it and you have some great ideas!  I never thought of using one of those oral syringes.  We might still have one from when the kids were babies.  I also like the idea of the mini Benadryl bottle.  Options...I like options!  Thank you all!
DS: Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sunflower, Sesame, Flax, Cottonseed, Lobster....and counting. Rx allergies - fentanyl & codeine

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
You can get the Nalgene bottles at The Container Store for about $1

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
When the teaspoons disappeared we started carrying the fast melt tablets.  Is your son too young for those? 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
I thought this was worth sharing. It's from the Parents of Kids with Severe Peanut Allergy group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/POKWASPeanutAllergy/permalink/10151635312597876/

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
We have been using the Fast Melts (storebrand) from Walmart and Target. 

I didn't see lacotose in the ingredient list of either of them (I know that is a concern for some).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA