FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Latest allergist appointment  (Read 2445 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Latest allergist appointment
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »
The kids saw Dr. Nowack at Mt. Sinai last week.  I liked her a lot!  We are waiting for the blood test results and the doctor will let us know if we can move from baked milk to trying pizza and whether a baked egg challenge is possible.  Hopefully we will have the results by the end of the week.

The practice now has a support type feature.  They asked DS to fill out a survey about his life, allergies and his anxiety level.  I was so pleased to read his answers and learn that he really feels secure and confident.  DH and I are doing something right.  He is very aware of his allergies, knows he needs to read labels and check with us about ingredients but the allergies don't define him!  I'm so proud of his confidence!  He was very thoughtful when answering the survey. 

Offline TwoDDs

Re: Latest allergist appointment
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
Sounds like a good day!

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »
Glad it went well. I know it's tough having to change docs once you find a groove with the kids but you did get to keep the same building and support staff. Do you know how they intend to use the data by any chance? Will it be combined for a general index of patients or something kept strictly, and only, in the patient's record?

I love that the waiting area has a "No Food Allowed for Patient Safety" sign. Dr. Nowack seems really great. We had her picked initially but insurance matters took us to Sicherer. Will keep positive thoughts on pizza and baked egg!  :crossed:

Offline MaryM

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »
I'm not sure what they plan to use the data for. 

I just received an email from Dr. Nowak and she recommends pizza and baked egg challenges for both kids!  I'm excited and nervous.  DD's vitamin D levels are a tad low and the results show low level numbers for some tree nuts.  Nether child has had any nuts bc of my allergies.  We will have to skin test to see if a challenge is necessary. 

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »
That's great!  I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:23 PM »
Wow! That's great. You will keep is posted?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
I will keep you posted!  Our first challenge will be on October 29th.  I'm not sure which we will do first, pizza or baked egg.  I am leaning towards baked egg but I may let the kids decide.