FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut Allergy and K teacher who thinks its no big deal  (Read 19108 times)

Description:

twinturbo

Re: Peanut Allergy and K teacher who thinks its no big deal
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
He has never experienced anaphlyaxis, but he did have a minor reaction at home that affected his breathing about a month ago. We were able to control it with Benadryll per his allergist.

Have you revisited this with your current allergist to revise your emergency action plan for anaphylaxis? A good first step before you even take one more step towards a 504 is truly understanding anaphylaxis. I'm not remotely convinced based on the above that there is any congruence between you and the allergist on the use of epinephrine and calling for emergency services. Breathing is major, not minor and your school will need clear, accurate directions in case of a life threatening reaction that could include respiratory symptoms.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
He has never experienced anaphlyaxis, but he did have a minor reaction at home that affected his breathing about a month ago. We were able to control it with Benadryll per his allergist.

Have you revisited this with your current allergist to revise your emergency action plan for anaphylaxis? A good first step before you even take one more step towards a 504 is truly understanding anaphylaxis. I'm not remotely convinced based on the above that there is any congruence between you and the allergist on the use of epinephrine and calling for emergency services. Breathing is major, not minor and your school will need clear, accurate directions in case of a life threatening reaction that could include respiratory symptoms.

Yes, this...breathing is considered an anaphylactic reaction.  Use the words ANAPHYLAXIS and LIFE THREATENING and AFFECTS BREATHING at all times with the school.
Talk to allergist about this...it is imperative that he use the above words (all of them) in his letter to the school.  These words are essential as it means 504 applies.

The allergist does sound good and supportive.  I'd continue with him for now as it sounds like he agrees about school safety (ie, getting him to write "no baked goods in the classroom" in his letter) will really help. Just be sure he uses the right words ...trust me if he does, the school cannot deny the 504 Plan.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 08:30:02 AM »
Adding to above.

Do NOT use the words "minor reaction" with school. A reaction affecting breathing is anaphylaxis and can go downhill quickly. 

Also, check your inbox...let me know if you got my PM from yesterday.

Offline FrustratedinNJ

Re: Peanut Allergy and K teacher who thinks its no big deal updated
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
I found my old post by googling about nut free policies at schools... I apologize for not returning to reply... Sadly, my situation did not really improved though I am dealing with a great first grade teacher. I have a different allergist who is amazing and has encouraged me not to be bullied by the principal at my sons school. Principal  told me I was making my son different and refused to make anything in the school nut free. I am pursuing a 504 with the help of my allergist. I just wanted to say thanks for all the guidance.
It won't take me so long to post again. I realized that I was not as educated as I could be thanks to your postings. I feel very prepared now, having received such resistance from the principal who told me I am making a big deal out of nothing- nothing I guess being my sons life threatening allergy. Thanks again! I feel prepared to advocate for my son .  :)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:26 AM »
Yea you!  Sounds like you've got a keeper in your allergist. If you need any other help, let us know. Good luck!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
Oh, please do come back and keep us updated.  I'm not sure how I missed this the first time around, but wow, that was appalling.

You go on that 504. 

My son is now in college, and I never pursued a 504 because I felt that 1) his school was doing everything right and there was no need, and 2) this being 1999, I was afraid to rock the boat.  It was a very different environment then, and I was afraid to antagonize a district/principal who really was working with me. 

It was a mistake.  I should have done it.

Good luck and  :paddle: :toothbrush: :bonking: to the old K teacher and interim principal!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline dlibby1angel

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »
I know this isn't an option for every family, but if I were in your situation I would pull my child and figure out a way to home school. It doesn't help families coming up behind you that have to deal with that school, but your child would be unquestionably safe.

We chose to homeschool for many reasons, including allergies. We love it and our kids have great experiences with other kids at our homeschool co-op. It's the best of both worlds.

Good luck and my heart goes out to you.
DS: Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sunflower, Sesame, Flax, Cottonseed, Lobster....and counting. Rx allergies - fentanyl & codeine

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
Things improved considerably for us once we got the 504.  We got the Special Education Director of the district involved, and he set our principal straight. 

Offline FrustratedinNJ

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:43 AM »
Thanks everyone! We appreciate the support.
Sadly the principal just doesn't understand. She told my husband she never said those things to me about me making my son different because I requested a peanut free table for him. She told my husband a peanut free classroom won't happen because she doesn't believe in them. We are setting up a meeting for early next week. She won't know what hit her. I am so thankful for my allergist and for boards like this. Thanks again.

Offline FrustratedinNJ

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »
Sorry to add... Principal is 504 coordinator and told my husband there are limits as to what can be done. Luckily, I work with 504s through my work as a special needs counselor!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Well, there are limits.

Laws of thermodynamics, quantum nature of the universe and all...

But I'm guessing that isn't what your principal meant.  ;)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
You could agree w/principal by finishing the sentence, "... yes, undue burden and fundamental nature."

@dlibby, some kids don't really flourish in homeschooling. While it's entirely possible I'm the worst known homeschool teacher in the universe, the fact is for one of my children that we don't have a relationship that works well on standard methods of teaching. It turns into World War III and I start doubting his abilities. So even though I can "afford" to homeschool (meaning pool together with family to not go bankrupt) in a case like ours one child would stagnate in it long term.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:36 AM »
So you know the Mystic Valley case?

Also take with you Gloucester, the new VA Beach letter and also Memphis (links to all are here).

Offline FrustratedinNJ

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
Can you please point me in the direction of summaries of the cases so that I may bring them with me tomorrow? I feel as if the principal is so uneducated and keeps telling me to trust them. Sadly, I just don't.
I am nervous about tomorrow. I know what she said to us, but I want to address that after I address the important point of my child's safety

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 03:27:58 PM »
Be prepared for them to argue that they can keep your child SAFE without a 504 plan.

While that may be true, your child also deserves the same educational opportunities that his classmates get-- and that is why he needs a 504 plan.  He is getting a 504 plan because he qualifies for one.  Not because he "needs" one.  Do NOT confuse those two things in your mind.

If they are going to follow the law, it's very important that you let the horse pull that cart. 

1.  He qualifies under Section 504 because X, Y, and Z. 

2.  Because he qualifies, we must write a 504 plan that includes the means through which is educational access (and yes-- safety-- but only because THAT TOO, is a barrier to his access) is guaranteed.  It must spell out who will do what and when and how.  Both prevention and response, and "avoidance" in terms of curricular shifts or accommodations.

You can do it!!  Stay strong on point one.  Get that IN WRITING before you discuss the need for particular accommodations.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.