login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Advice for someone new to soy allergy  (Read 9289 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
Re: Advice for someone new to soy allergy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
robyn
Posted: 11.04.2008 at 08:18:01

Hi all. I have a friend who has a son that was recently diagnosed with a soy allergy. We deal with peanut in our home but I would like to be able to help her adjust to this major life change. Her main issue is finding things he can eat!

For those of you have lived with this for a while, what products do you recommend? (Things like bread, cereal, desserts, and anything else you can think of.) Also, can you recommend a store (online or off) that would be good. I will recommend Whole Foods and Enjoy Life since I have personal experience with them. But what else?

My hats are off to you guys. I did a soy elimination early on with my son and was amazed at how terribly limited this allergy makes eating options.
 Thanks so much for all of your help!

Robyn
-6 yr son w/ PA & TNA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
booandbrimom
Posted: 11.05.2008 at 07:08:55

Robyn, the first thing I would ask her is whether she's going to try to avoid all soy or just soy protein. It makes a HUGE difference.

My son has a soy protein allergy and he tolerates soybean oil and soy lecithin without a problem. He is extremely allergic to soy - has had several hospital trips from reactions - so this isn't about the level of his reaction.

If she can have these two things, avoiding soy only is relatively easy with the exception of things like packaged mixes and soups.

TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
GingerPye
Posted: 11.05.2008 at 09:35:04

DS has soy allergy until he challenged out of it at 9 y.o.

We avoided soy protein and soy flour but not oil or lecithin. I know some people do need to avoid the oil and lecithin because of extreme sensitivity. I didn't find eliminating soy as being very limiting, not like the milk/egg/peanut.

It really didn't add much into our diet to add soy in when he outgrew. What helped the most was not having to avoid certain breads, soups, lunch meats, etc. that had soy protein.

So that's my advice, such as it is: watch for the soy in soups, breads, lunchmeats, etc. But there are alternatives of those products that do not have soy. One soup I can think of that the kids really liked is the Healthy Choice Bean n Ham soup.

DD, 15 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema
DS, 12 - MA/EA/PA/env./asthma
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
robyn
Posted: 11.05.2008 at 05:10:55

I had no idea that some soy was OK in certain situations. When I did our our soy elimination, I avoided everything with the word "soy" in it. I had to make bread from scratch!!

Thanks for the advice. I would love to hear from others, too. I think I may just direct her to this page so she can see what you guys have to say. There's nothing like hearing from others who deal with the same allergy you do.

Robyn
-6 yr son w/ PA & TNA
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
Juliebove
Posted: 11.05.2008 at 07:30:57

Soy is in everything. Daughter never seemed to react to soybean oil or soy lecithin, but I still didn't buy much to bring home that contained those things. If she needed an OTC med and there was no other option, then I would. I once bought gluten free ice cream cones with soy lecithin. I figured she was getting enough soybean oil from dining out.

Do be careful with things like shampoos and lotions. They can contain soy. Even the nail polish I was using had soy protein in it. I read all labels now.

IgG, me: Eggs, oysters. OAS: Almonds, pistachios

IgG, daughter: Wheat, spelt, peas, lentils, peanuts, almonds
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »
krasota
Posted: 11.06.2008 at 08:52:42

I do avoid all soy. Soy-derived vitamin E, soy lecithin, soybean oil.

If someone is truly avoiding all soy, it's much harder to avoid than just about any other food. The only thing worse is corn. (Or a spice allergy.)

DS (04/07)--eggs, mango, cashew, pistachio
DH--shellfish, mushrooms
Me--Sometimes it seems like everything.
TX USA

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
mommabridget
Posted: 11.06.2008 at 07:59:30

Have only been dealing with soy, again, for a short time. We do not avoid lecithin. He also tolerates soybean oil - but I will not give it to him in large amounts and avoid if there is any other option. There is soy flour in all ready-made white breads. Cannot do soups, sauces or a lot of boxed rice mixes (jambalaya, dirty rice, etc). Have to make from scratch a lot of these things.

I have not yet purchased a bread machine. But plan to do so shortly. He rarely eats bread now but I think that would change if I baked it.

Since we try to avoid soybean oil as much as possible, it has also cut down on "grab-eats" that he can eat. Chips choices are fewer. Also, cannot do Nutragrain bars but there is a suitable organic variety available - it just costs 50% more.

The thing that really helps is to start from scratch, using whole ingredients. For instance, tonight we had "red soup". Homemade vegetable beef soup with soup bones, onions, celery, garlic, potatoes, green beans & corn, Mrs. Dash, salt & pepper, tomato paste, and hot sauce. He ate several bowls.

Good Luck!!

Have a blessed day!

DS(18) Allergic to peanuts, cashews & soy and is a terrific trombone player
DD(25) Allergic to Bactrim, & iodine. DD(28) NKA

Louisiana, USA
TX USA