login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Adult Food Allergies  (Read 3384 times)

Description: Interview with Dr. Sicherer

Offline GoingNuts

Adult Food Allergies
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
This is from Medscape.  You may need an account to read it; it's easy and free to sign up.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/773456?src=mp
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

forvictoria

Re: Adult Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »
Excellent interview, thank you!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
Oh--this is great to hear from Sicherer about adult food allergies.

This is helpful:

Sicherer: The "Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Food Allergy in the United States," which was developed by the NAIAD-sponsored expert panel and came out in December 2010, defined food allergy as an adverse health effect arising from a specific immune response that occurs reproducibly on exposure to a given food.

Sicherer: When multiple areas of the body are affected in a potentially severe progressive manner, that is anaphylaxis, and of course that is the most serious type of reaction. A victim of anaphylaxis may develop cardiovascular symptoms due to shock. In addition to the skin, respiratory, and gastrointestinal symptoms that I mentioned previously, other symptoms can include confusion, loss of consciousness, and a feeling of impending doom. There are some additional symptoms that may also happen -- women may have some uterine cramping. There is not a single symptom that defines anaphylaxis; the diagnosis is made based upon a constellation of findings, which could be summed up as involving more than just a few hives or isolated mild gastrointestinal symptoms.
(bold mine)

Sicherer: We think that NSAIDs and alcohol are eliciting factors because they may increase permeability in the gut.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
OOooooooooo--- interesting to learn about NSAIDS being potentially implicated there, too.

That is FASCINATING.  But I have to wonder if there isn't more happening there mechanistically-- because of the frequency with which NSAIDS are also implicated in "aspirin-sensitive asthma."  It's not precisely "allergic."  But it sure seems suspicious.

<thinking about that pathway...>
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:20:08 AM »
That is SO interesting. I have had a ton of unexplained uterine cramping recently and lower back pain (like back labor). It all disappeared overnight when I discovered (via anaphylaxis) a new food allergen.