FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hostess Cupcakes & Donettes.  (Read 13537 times)

Description:

Offline joshsmom

Hostess Cupcakes & Donettes.
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
I called on these because there was no warning on the packages again. She said there never were nuts at those plants that corporate was putting the warning on all their products. After negative feedback, they decided to stop the CYA labeling. My kids were so excited!

I asked about the chocolate cupcakes and chocolate & powdered  Donettes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:29:12 PM by joshsmom »

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Hostess Cupcakes & Donettes.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »
Interesting...I was just thinking that I needed to call since Walmart (or at least mine) doesn't have the mini donuts anymore and I was planning to let the kids make snowman faces and reindeers for snack once we got closer to christmas.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:25:29 AM »
Does this mean they're labeling for cross contamination only on items from shared facilities? Or not labeling at all like before? Any time I've called I had to beg and plead to get them to give me the info on safe plant numbers, and I finally gave up. That was about the time they had warnings on some things and not others, and I felt like it just wasn't consistent at all. For example, I would see two different items with the same plant code, with one having a warning and one not having one. So clearly something wasn't jiving.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:10:47 AM »
I hate when companies do this.  When exactly should we trust the labeling.  Not to mention younger kids getting confused.  It's safe, it's not safe, now it's safe.  ???
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
She had me read off the codes and told no nuts ever in those building. I will always be reading label and calling every couple of months. Very frustrating!! I called since I couldn't find the Great Value donuts. Hopefully, they will stick with this labeling.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:46 AM »
I emailed today and they called me back when I wasn't home. I'll try again tomorrow. I am not ever at the store during the time their offices are open so I would have to write down numbers and call the next day.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »
Hostess is closing their doors. How terrible is that!

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »
I saw that last night. I wonder if I should bother calling them back now.

I really wish other junk food companies like little debbie would label better. I know great value and mrs freshley's does but they don't have the same things hostess offered.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
I just tried calling and even though it's during the business hours they stated,  they are closed.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
Yes, Hostess brands is shutting down due to bankruptcy  :-[

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hostess Brands -- the maker of such iconic baked goods as Twinkies, Drake's Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread -- announced Friday that it is asking a federal bankruptcy court for permission to close its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract imposed on them.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

===========================

Some products will continue to be available in Canada as they have different manufacturers than in the USA...  Wonder bread will still be at stores as it is made by Weston bakeries, and the Hostess baked goods will still be available as they are made by Saputo, and the Hostess potato chips should still be available at Food Basic and No Frills.

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
This is terrible news for me.  Wonder bread is the only safe bread I have been able to find in CA.  Everything else is owned by Bimbo Bakeries.  When I called BIMBO they recommend that anyone with food allergies avoid all their products.  They are the single largest bakery in the USA, owning Sara Lee, Roman Meal, Orowheat,Thomas's, Entemann's, Tia Rosa, Earthgrains, Ball Park, Arnold, etc, etc. etc....  So what's left?  I guess I can make homemade bread, but what about hot dog and hamburger buns?   What do you all use?
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
When we went out west a few years back, I thought I bought Gold Medal bread by General Mills out there. I could have sworn it was in Southern California at a Stater Brothers.

eta: looking at the gold medal bakery site it doesn't look like GM owns it after all. I am pretty sure at the time, there was a GM mention on it because we have a very tight comfort zone and I would have been really careful, especially when traveling.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:48:30 PM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »
The strongest brands will be sold off to other manufacturers. Unfortunately, Bimbo is one of the biggest conglomerates out there and although that sounds anti-corporation of me what it actually translates to is a manufacturer that tells you to bugger off if you inquire about cross-contamination. Twinkies, Wonder Bread, any of the iconic brands will stick around with who they'll end up with, big shrug.

I'll probably have to go on an intense local search because I cannot make homemade bread due to one child anaphylactic to barley/wheat.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
I called on these because there was no warning on the packages again. She said there never were nuts at those plants that corporate was putting the warning on all their products. After negative feedback, they decided to stop the CYA labeling. My kids were so excited!

I asked about the chocolate cupcakes and chocolate & powdered  Donettes.

Ok, I just want to clarify so I can look for these...all powdered and chocolate donettes are safe?  If I find them now (I haven't bought anything hostess in decades), will they still be fresh by December 21 (if unopened)?

Offline Jessica

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »
The strongest brands will be sold off to other manufacturers. Unfortunately, Bimbo is one of the biggest conglomerates out there and although that sounds anti-corporation of me what it actually translates to is a manufacturer that tells you to bugger off if you inquire about cross-contamination. Twinkies, Wonder Bread, any of the iconic brands will stick around with who they'll end up with, big shrug.

I was telling dh last night that it would be nice if a company like general mills bought it. Doubtful though.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA