login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hostess Cupcakes & Donettes.  (Read 13503 times)

Description:

Offline pitter patter

Re: Hostess Cupcakes & Donettes.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
Jessica--Wouldn't that be a perfect solution?  I just got back from Walmart.  Literally all of the bread they had were bimbo owned companies.  Fortunately the great value bread in my area read safe so I picked up a couple of loads of those. However, the hot dog buns and hamburger buns had warnings.  I was online this morning looking at recipes for homemade hot dog buns.  I found a couple that look promising and I also found a hot dog bun baking pan.
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:57 AM »
I guess I can make homemade bread, but what about hot dog and hamburger buns?   What do you all use?

I make my own hamburger buns with a recipe I got from someone (Cookingmom?) from this group.  Hotdog buns I use a frenchstick recipe and make them smaller.  I've tried various recipes, but that's what works best for me.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
The hostess shelves are bare...nothing to be found.

Anyone know about Entemann's mini donuts?

Offline Jessica

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »
There's a company here called Aunt Millie's that labels well. We buy their hot dog buns sometimes (don't really use hamburger buns). Also, the company that makes King's Hawaiian Rolls also makes hot dog and hamburger buns now and we trust them.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 12:55:23 PM »
The hostess shelves are bare...nothing to be found.

Anyone know about Entemann's mini donuts?
There were discussions about Entenmann's a while back. Some trusted them and some don't. I didn't feel like their labeling was very consistent.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
Entemann's is owned by Bimbo.  When a company tells consumers with food allergies to avoid their products, I take that to mean that they don't take any precautions.  I will never use any product distributed or owned by Bimbo bakeries.
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline Linden

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »
We are MA/PA/TNA/EA.  For bread, we've used the Simply Pillsbury bread that come in the tubes in the refrigerator case.    I like the "Simply" bread because it doesn't have a lot of additives and preservatives.  I think the standard Pillsbury French Bread is also safe.

I haven't seen the Simply bread for a while here in the Northeast.  I saw it this summer at a Vons in Southern California, though.

For my toddler, I also give him the El Paso white flour tortillas as a sub for bread. 

Doesn't help with the donuts, though.  :'(
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
found these:
http://averageallergymom.blogspot.com/2011/03/our-first-er-visit-from-food-allergies.html
http://community.babycenter.com/post/a25232003/ana_reaction_to_entenmanns_donut_and_questions_on_follow_up

They are both over a year old though so I don't know if anything has changed with entenmann's.

I'll have to make a phone call and see what they say and then make my decision.  I read part of the links you posted...interestingly enough the second link said child was allergic to coconut and when I read the label on the entemann's little donuts today, I noticed it was labeled specifically for coconut. 

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »
I don't see Pepperidge Farm mentioned for bread?

It is usually available at Walmart & many other grocers in the US -- but don't know about Canada.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
Ok, I just got off the phone with Entemann's.  They will put a "may contains" statement on the package for shared lines, but will not put a "may contains" statement if the allergen is in facility, but not on a shared line.

I have to think on this one.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
Possible rumor that Flowers Foods may buy some Hostess recipes. Anyone know how good they are at labeling? I've never used any of their products.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/twinkies-likely-to-survive-hostess-sale_n_2156415.html

Also story about Bimbo buying them:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/bimbo-twinkies-mexican-hostess-liquidation_n_2155070.html

I'm guessing this won't end well for the food allergy set.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
Entemann's is owned by Bimbo.  When a company tells consumers with food allergies to avoid their products, I take that to mean that they don't take any precautions.  I will never use any product distributed or owned by Bimbo bakeries.

There is a company called "Bimbo" Bakeries?  An unfortunate choice of names.  Who is their spokesperson.. Paris Hilton?    :misspeak:  I have a certain image in my mind when I hear the word Bimbo, and here are the definitions from dictionary.com:

bimˇbo   [bim-boh]  Show IPA
noun, plural bimˇbos, bimˇboes. Slang .
1. a foolish, stupid, or inept person.
2 .a man or fellow, often a disreputable or contemptible one.
3. an attractive but stupid young woman, especially one with loose morals.

Perhaps it's time to change to a better name...  Open Window Bakery?  Country Harvest? 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:18:55 PM by candyguru »
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
I haven't actually seen this brand, but apparently there is a pronunciation guide on some of their products and it's supposed to be "beem-bo". But I still say bimbo and it makes me think the same way you do, Erik.

btw #2, to me, is more of a mimbo than a bimbo. LOL
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline brownie

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »
They are NOT all safe.  If you call Interstate Bakeries (though I do not know who will answer at this point), they can give you a list of safe and unsafe codes based on your zipcode.  I have called a dozen times over the years, most recently 2 months ago.  They are wonderfully helpful and will tell you exactly which nuts are in the facility but all the donettes are NOT from nut-free facilities.  She specifically gave me numbers from a facility with walnuts that I found at my local stores.  About 1/2 the time I can find safe codes for cupcakes, twinkies, etc...I have never found safe donettes with regard to walnut.

Of course, not anymore...very depressed that the shelves are empty.
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood