login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 207636 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #750 on: August 16, 2018, 06:33:58 AM »
I had some leftover hot dogs and sauerkraut, so I made an awesome sauerkraut soup (which will go in the freezer because it's too blasted hot for soup!) with veggies, potatoes, and cut up hot dogs.  Dang, I'm looking forward to Fall!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #751 on: August 16, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
I did not use a recipe, but, it’s called “crack slaw” on lots of low carb blogs.  I used a 20 oz pack of ground turkey, generously seasoned with ginger and garlic, some soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.  I actually made the sauce with 1/3c low sodium soy sauce, a splash of the vinegar, a few cloves crushed garlic, and maybe 1-2t of ground ginger, and about a T of sweetener(sugar, brown sugar, I used Swerve, which is erithritol).  So, I used about half of that as I sautéed the turkey with some diced onions. I pulled out the turkey, and reduced juices, then added cabbage(2 bags shredded slaw), and the rest of the sauce.  Cook to desired tenderness, add back turkey, a bunch of diced green onion, and some toasted sesame oil.  We ate it straight up, but, this could be done as lettuce wraps, or with some rice.  You could sweeten it up with hoisen sauce,  or add heat with red pepper. 

If you google crack slaw you’ll get ideas for flavors.

Thanks. I'm not a fan of regular cabbage, but will eat nappa cabbage or bok choy or something like that. So I'd sub in one of those.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #752 on: August 16, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »
frozen ravioli - thats about all I have the energy to make.  I bought myself a very nice bottle of pinot noir to go with it, lol.  The wine cost more than the ravioli, sauce, parmesan cheese and half and half I just bought.  But its been that kind of day and I wanted a treat.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #753 on: August 16, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »
You deserve it Mary. Go for it!
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #754 on: August 17, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »
I did not use a recipe, but, it’s called “crack slaw” on lots of low carb blogs.  I used a 20 oz pack of ground turkey, generously seasoned with ginger and garlic, some soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.  I actually made the sauce with 1/3c low sodium soy sauce, a splash of the vinegar, a few cloves crushed garlic, and maybe 1-2t of ground ginger, and about a T of sweetener(sugar, brown sugar, I used Swerve, which is erithritol).  So, I used about half of that as I sautéed the turkey with some diced onions. I pulled out the turkey, and reduced juices, then added cabbage(2 bags shredded slaw), and the rest of the sauce.  Cook to desired tenderness, add back turkey, a bunch of diced green onion, and some toasted sesame oil.  We ate it straight up, but, this could be done as lettuce wraps, or with some rice.  You could sweeten it up with hoisen sauce,  or add heat with red pepper. 

If you google crack slaw you’ll get ideas for flavors.

Thanks. I'm not a fan of regular cabbage, but will eat nappa cabbage or bok choy or something like that. So I'd sub in one of those.

Napa would totally work.  I’ve used it before for a similar thing.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #755 on: August 17, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »
Sounds yummy, Mary!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #756 on: August 19, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
Last night we had spinach enchiladas. When DH makes enchiladas, he makes his own salsa verse. I use bottled. DH cooked, so we had a really yummy salsa verde on the enchiladas. 2.5 WW points each!

And we used the Kuners black beans (not refried) with jalapeños. OMG they are simply amazing.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #757 on: August 21, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
Since I’m alone for dinner, I decided to make Hawaiian Pizza. Did up a dough, and I guess due to the stormy weather it REALLY raised. I ended up with three pizza (the size of a medium cookie sheet). I considered making one with meat for DS and one with veggie for his friend because they will be getting here later. But that was a lot of work and I just didn’t want to.

Since I’ll have some granddaughters here tomorrow it will be snack for them.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #758 on: August 21, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
Broiled  salmon with mustard sauce, basmati rice and salad. Yum.
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #759 on: November 13, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »
Reraising, just because it’s been awhile.

Zucchini/Fennel Soup
Broiled salmon with herbed mustard sauce
Sautéed shaved mixed veggies
Basmati Rice

And darn it, I’m still hungry.  :pout:
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #760 on: November 13, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
I made chicken tikka masala the other night.  There was lots of sauce relative to meat.  Tonight, I made cauliflower rice, and left some cauliflower chunks, and sautéed that, seasoning it with complementary spices, and added the leftover masala, and we had it over torn baby spinach. I’m hungry again too!

I did some pre Thanksgiving baking, and had a couple of cookies for lunch.  🍪😬

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #761 on: November 13, 2018, 07:54:28 PM »
Why are we always hungry??? :dunno:
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #762 on: November 15, 2018, 04:55:42 PM »
Homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese on this snowy November day.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #763 on: November 15, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »
We had homemade tomato soup last night, too.  Supper tonight is still yet undefined... and I was supposed to get groceries but my husband is sick and took the car to work, so we have only the most basic of staples.  Might be making sweet and sour soup with tofu and carrots tonight. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #764 on: November 15, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
Recipe for homemade tomato soup?
N.E. US