FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 212305 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #405 on: February 24, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »
My crock pot is busy today with onions, mushrooms, and a roast..................the house smells so very good!

I love my crock pot!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #406 on: February 24, 2014, 06:03:24 PM »
Mmmm, that looks fantastic Becca.  I do love a good curry.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #407 on: February 25, 2014, 10:43:15 AM »
I found out a few weeks ago that DS doesn't like curry. :-/ we eat it about once every six weeks or so (since cleaning under the hood above our stove before moving in, I have a hard time with curry myself--have a bit of PTSD and I'm not kidding. <shudder>)

Still, it makes me sAd. I liked doing a cauliflower and chick pea curry.

Last night we had vegetarian shepherds's pie.  I had planned to use lentils but saw I had bought lentils with a shared equipment label for peanuts, treenuts and other things. Grrrr. 

But it was fine without. I hadn't made shepherd's pie in a year and a half or so.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »
Tonight I making an old favorite I have not made in years.  By old, I mean really old.  When I was learning to cook as a kid, this was te first pot roast recipe I made.  It is cooked with a whole jar of horseradish.  I know it sounds hot, but it really isn't at all.  The horseradish goes in at the beginning if the cooking time, and cooking destroys the heat, leaving the horseradish tasting somewhat sweet.  I have not made it in years because DH used to say he did not like pot roast (truth was he had never had any pot roast but his mother's and she is not te best cook).   I had started making pot roast again a few years ago, and DH likes it.  But I have not made this particular recipe since before we were married.  I hope he likes it!
DS won't like it, but I don't care.  He is too picky and never likes anything new.
USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #409 on: March 04, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
Turkey salad sandwiches.  My Mom is really upset about this - I made chicken salad when I went to visit for the holidays, and apparently I am really good at making it, so she was jealous that she didn't get any.

I think that it is amusing that I make really good chicken/turkey/ham/tuna salad since I can't even taste it to see if it is 'right'.  And honestly, I wouldn't want to.  Even before FAs, I hated mayo.

Offline hopechap

« Reply #410 on: March 16, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »
hedgehog - can you share the pot roast recipe?

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #411 on: March 18, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
Corned beef and potato soup.  Because the leftovers have to go somewhere.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #412 on: March 25, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »
Lunch today: Pork ribs in the slow cooker, corn on the cob, and whatever I feel like adding with that.  We're going to pretend that it is summer, even if it is 18 degrees out.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #413 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »
4 large chicken breasts in crockpot, covered with 2 cups of favorite salsa, cook on high for 4 hours, then shred, serve as you like.  Will probably serve to kids in tortillas with a little melted cheese, may stir fry some peppers and onions to go in also

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
That sounds good, Hezz.  I wish my kids would eat stuff like that.  No sauces.  Nada.  Makes crock pot cooking tough, but i do it for dh and myself sometimes and give the kids french toast or something. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
Trying to use up the perishables before we leave this weekend - chicken chef salads and mini pepperoni rolls, oranges.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
DS is not much of a sauce person either but he does like salsa so I figured he eat this.  This is our first time trying it, it smells wonderful so hopefully it's good.

I got it from here.
http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #417 on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
Oh, that pasta looks dreamy. 

I made some chicken cutlets tonight that came out awful.  Very rubbery, not sure why.  I've never had this problem before.  :dunce:

LAst night we had this, and it was fabulous!

Chickpea Tikka Masala

1 Tbsp. veg oil
1/2 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp. Garam Masala
1Tbsp. Tomato Paste
2 teaspoons grated ginger2 15 oz. cans chick peas, drained (DS was back at school, so this was doable)
1 25 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1.  Sautee onion in oil for about 5 minutes, or until tender.
2.  Add garam masala, tomato paste and ginger.  Add salt to taste, and saute one minute more
3.  Stir in chick peas and tomatoes, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4.  Remove from heat, and stir in yogurt and cilantro.

I made this ahead on Sunday, and served it with Basmati Rice (with slivered almonds and craisins), and roasted cauliflower.  It was fabulous.

If you want it a little hotter, you can add a small finely chopped serrano chile along with the garam masala, tomato paste and ginger, but I didn't think it needed it at all - and I left it out, because I didn't have any.  You could also wilt some spinach in, or add cooked cut up potatoes as well.  Versatile and easy-peasy.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »
DS is not much of a sauce person either but he does like salsa so I figured he eat this.  This is our first time trying it, it smells wonderful so hopefully it's good.

I got it from here.
http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/

So as good as this smelled and how spicy/flavorful the salsa is, it was kind of lacking in flavor.  I guess if I make it again, I'll use the hot salsa.  I wonder if I'd be better off cooking the chicken breasts plain and then mixing in the salsa.  Can I cook plain chicken breasts in a crockpot and still have them be shreddable?  Would I need some sort of liquid? 

DS wasn't thrilled, but it may have been trying guac in his burrito for the first time.  He prefers to dip his veggies in it.

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #419 on: March 29, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »
black bean soup and brown rice...house smells sooooo good! :)
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....