FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 213456 times)

Description:

Offline Janelle205

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »
Quesadillas with beans, corn salsa, and grilled skirt steak.

I'm on a massive corn salsa kick this week - made a second batch tonight.  DSD loves it, and I have been sending it in her lunch.  The first time I sent it, she couldn't find the tortilla chips (in the second pocket of her lunch box), and she just ate it all with a spoon.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #511 on: September 18, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »
Tonite:

Chilaquiles -- meat free & will likely toss in a can or 2 of kidney beans.

Roasted potatoes -- spicy with cayenne.

Salad -- Romaine with lots of crunchy veggies and peppers.

Tomorrow nite:

Leftovers of chilaquiles and will make fresh batch of Mex rice to go with.

Shhhhh . . . might try homemade flan . . . kids will love me. 
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #512 on: September 20, 2014, 01:25:54 AM »
Sounds good!  We had roasted potatoes with dinner as well.

DH's new favorite is potato skins made with taco leftovers.  About a week ago, I saw some potato skins on tv and decided that I HAD to have them right then.  Had never made them before, but they were really good, way better than I have ever had in a restaurant.  Which hey, if DH likes them with leftovers (I did the taco ones with some taco meat, corn salsa, and pepperjack cheese), then at least I have found another way to use up tiny amounts of leftovers.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #513 on: October 14, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
I'm making French Dip sandwiches for dinner tonight.  3 out of 4 of us love it.  DS can take it or leave it.  The recipe calls for a cup of red wine but I use a bit less bc I thnk that's the flavor DS does not love.  I also made muffins - milk muffins a la Mt. Sinai and baked a batch of cookies! 

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #514 on: October 14, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »
I made up a reuben mac and cheese for DH and DSD out of the leftover corned beef from last night...hope that they like it.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2014, 07:29:37 AM »
I think I'm gonna have to make a huge batch of chili today so that I can keep up with teen appetites and tight schedules.  Then life will be TGFL = Thank goodness for leftovers!!

Ground turkey & org or grass-fed beef combo
Kidney beans (organic)
Mountains of onion and garlic  (Org onions, but cannot find org garlic)
Heap of chili powder
Extra roasted cumin
Cayenne to taste (and extra on the table)
Cans of organic diced tomato
S&P

Serve with baked corn tortilla strips (oh, heck, will have to find Fritos for DH)
Shredded cheddar
Diced onion

Salad to go with

Fruit -- no clue what -- strawberries are too costly now but I want something fresh and raw
(Wish I had a ripe pineapple, that would be great)

~~~~

Crud.  I'm still gonna have to go to grocery store to cover for this.    Oh well.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #516 on: October 24, 2014, 02:49:46 PM »
Making repeat of Ratatouille I made the other night.  I based mine on Anne Burrell's oven roasted version, but I chopped it all up into edible pieces and roasted it all together . . . didn't do in stages or pan-sauté anything.  Went for super simple (roasted at 375 and then bumped it up to 390 for a bit).

Tonight I'm adding fennel, ala an Epicurious recipe.

Will add steamed green beans -- with light olive oil and garlic (heavy garlic) as sauce.

Re-warmed up corn bread on side.  Sweet neighbor brought us some honey from Greece, which the adults will enjoy.  No way to determine safety of that honey for the kids, but they are happy to eat cornbread plain or with just butter.

Splurged on strawberries and we'll have those.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #517 on: October 25, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
That sounds yummy ajas. 

I saw an add from my local produce page with gorgeous savoy cabbages from another local farm.  Think I will go get one and make an unstuffed cabbage casserole for dinner.  Lighten it up a bit with quinoa vs rice and go a bit lighter on the meat.  But, may splurge if I find ground lamb.  otherwise, will use ground turkey.  Maybe Moroccan seasonings.  will go look at recipes and figure that part out. 

Got this beauty:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:48:02 AM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #518 on: October 25, 2014, 11:25:10 PM »
Oooh lovely!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: October 26, 2014, 06:52:12 AM »
I made "unstuffed" cabbage, with the ground lamb and it was yummy!  Lots leftover too.  BIG cabbage. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #520 on: October 26, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
Oh my, that looks heavenly!

A new farm-to-table produce delivery service has popped up in my area, and I'm going to check it out.  I haven't done well with those in the past because my schedule can be too unpredictable, and I've ended up throwing stuff out that I never had time to use.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

« Reply #521 on: October 27, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »
Ugh, I have no idea what to do for dinner.  I'm in such a funk from the weekend and have no desire to cook.  DD has ballet from 5:15-6:30 and both kids have their instrument lessons at 7:30.  I'm driving ballet carpool.  I guess I'll make pancakes before we leave for ballet and reheat them when we get home.  Maybe tomorrow I'll get back to normal and make a good dinner.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #522 on: October 27, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
Lazy dinner night here too.  Dd just inhaled a bowl of Kraft Dinner, a luxury you do not have, and ds will have a quick soup with bullion, alphabets, and some perdue short cuts chicken.  He does not like Kraft Dinner.  I nuked some fresh broccoli. 

Dh and I are still working our way through that cabbage casserole, lol.  It was a LOT!  I am enjoying it, though. 

Though, I have probably had my dinner's worth of calories through snitching bites of the Kraft Dinner and eating dd's broccoli, because she was running late for practice.  I will make her more later.  She is not getting out of eating her broccoli!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #523 on: October 27, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
Oh, I love Kraft Mac & Cheese.  The kids & DH ate the pancakes.  DH made bacon too.  I had a slice.  I'm not sure what I'm going to eat.  DH is taking the kids to their lessons. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #524 on: October 27, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »
I threw a whole chicken in the oven with carrots, potatoes and onions, roasted att 425 for 1 1/2 hrs. while I went to visit Auntie.  Made a salad while the chicken rested.  Delicious.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US