FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 207749 times)

Description:

Offline BensMom

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #735 on: February 12, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »
Managed to do a quick, lazy dinner of slow cooker BBQ chicken sandwiches, some chips and cottage cheese.  I can't stand or walk for very long right now because of the pregnancy stuff.

DSD said the sandwiches were great and that I should make them again.  Bad news for her: I will try, but I pretty much threw a few frozen chicken thighs in the cooker and covered them with stuff that I did not measure at all.

When I do something like that, I try to remember what I did and write it down if it turned out well. Good luck!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #736 on: February 18, 2018, 06:43:02 AM »
A take on feijoada (a Brazilian pork and bean stew) in the slow cooker.  My brother likes to try lots of different international stuff, and was interested.

Kind of the perfect recipe for someone who is both sick and can't sleep very well.  It needs to cook for a long time, so I cooked the bacon and browned all the pork early this morning when I got up, and now I can rest until it is time to remove the bones and shred the meat in like 10 hours.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #737 on: February 18, 2018, 07:03:46 AM »
Bean soup. For a week. I have tons left.
USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #738 on: February 20, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
Basil coconut chicken curry.  In the slow cooker, because sick and lazy.  Also, with pepper roulette, because the peppers were mostly out of stock and all jumbled at the store last night.  I am pretty sure I got jalapenos, but I could be wrong.

We eat so much rice when my brother is here to visit.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #739 on: March 05, 2018, 08:35:24 PM »
Shepherd’s pie on a snowy day (vegetarian).

https://pinchofyum.com/vegetarian-shepherds-pie
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #740 on: April 16, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
Nothing fancy, but totally hitting the spot for me tonight:

Balsamic marinated baked chicken with rosemary and garlic, baked sweet potato and sauteed chopped kale/brussels sprouts/cabbage.  Heaven.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline BensMom

« Reply #741 on: April 17, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »
I made a balsamic chicken recipe the other night--you put the chicken on ciabatta rolls, add tomato, fresh basil and mozzarella and bake until the cheese is melted. It's an old recipe and everyone likes it. Sometimes I just serve the chicken over rice, but everyone likes the sandwiches better.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #742 on: August 13, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »
I made Cuban chicken/black bean/rice bowls last night. Marinated chicken in a Cuban marinade (there are lots of recipes), cooked it in my cast iron pan and cut it up, made black beans, brown rice and mojo sauce (again, lots of recipes) and also served with lettuce, red bell pepper and mango. Delish!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #743 on: August 13, 2018, 04:06:35 PM »
^I wish you could send some over here tonight. I’m getting home late and am at a loss.
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #744 on: August 13, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
I made a creamy Asparagus/Leek Soup. 2 WW Points. Yum.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #745 on: August 13, 2018, 06:34:26 PM »
A totally lazy, but delicious dinner. 

I needed something really fast, easy and filling since DS is home. Our local kosher market’s butcher makes his own hot dogs, and is trying to market them nationally.  No nitrites, and leaner than most hot dogs.  I expected to be underwhelmed, since I’m a die-hard Boar’s Head fan.  Wowza, I was pleasantly surprised.  They were yummy.  And hot dogs mean sauerkraut! :happydance:

Homemade blueberry ice cream for dessert.   :)    Healthy eating resumes tomorrow.   ;D
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #746 on: August 13, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »
I had a garden salad with grilled chicken, and balsamic dressing...at Trivia!  Best dinner is one someone else makes!  Cheated by having a cupcake made by Hedgie for dd.  It was a sendoff from trivia.

Planning a cabbage stir fry tomorrow with ground turkey and garlic, ginger, soy flavors.  Burgers for kids.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #747 on: August 14, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
Asian cabbage/ground turkey stir fry.  Yummy!

Offline BensMom

« Reply #748 on: August 15, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »
That might be something we'd like becca. Can you post the recipe, or at least what you did if you didn't follow a recipe?

DH requested bulgogi--I didn't know what it was. But I got a recipe and made it (even went to the Asian market to get properly cut beef) and it was good. And easy. Marinate beef and cook it on the stove. I didn't grill it, but did it in a cast iron pan and it turned out great.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #749 on: August 15, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »
I did not use a recipe, but, it’s called “crack slaw” on lots of low carb blogs.  I used a 20 oz pack of ground turkey, generously seasoned with ginger and garlic, some soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.  I actually made the sauce with 1/3c low sodium soy sauce, a splash of the vinegar, a few cloves crushed garlic, and maybe 1-2t of ground ginger, and about a T of sweetener(sugar, brown sugar, I used Swerve, which is erithritol).  So, I used about half of that as I sautéed the turkey with some diced onions. I pulled out the turkey, and reduced juices, then added cabbage(2 bags shredded slaw), and the rest of the sauce.  Cook to desired tenderness, add back turkey, a bunch of diced green onion, and some toasted sesame oil.  We ate it straight up, but, this could be done as lettuce wraps, or with some rice.  You could sweeten it up with hoisen sauce,  or add heat with red pepper. 

If you google crack slaw you’ll get ideas for flavors.