login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Garlic Allergy  (Read 13029 times)

Description: Garlic

Offline dinazg

Garlic Allergy
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
My 4-year old son has multiple food allergies, including garlic - a real toughie to avoid. He never ate it, it just showed up in a blood test his allergist did when he was not even 1 yet, since he had severe eczema.  So I'm not 100% sure he's actually allergic garlic because we've kept him away from it and so he never had a reaction, but his blood and skin tests since then do indicate he might be allergic. My question: has anyone had a garlic food challenge?  What foods did you introduce and what reactions were you looking for? Can you recommend any allergists that know a lot about garlic allergies? Thanks so much!!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Garlic Allergy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
I do think there's someone here with a garlic allergy.  I will try to remember who it is. 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:01:43 AM »
There's a member called jessma03 whose ds is allergic to garlic.

I think PurpleCat has a dd allergic to garlic.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »
I agree that you should consider the possibility that your son might not be allergic to garlic since he was diagnosed through testing only, and you're wise to seek an allergist to do a food challenge.  Finding one who's an expert on garlic allergy will likely be near impossible since it's not a very common allergy.  I'd suggest just finding an allergist who is very familiar with food allergies and up on current research, testing, diagnosis, treatment, etc.  If you're comfortable sharing the region where you live, I'm sure our members would have suggestions of which allergists are good in your area.

As for how to introduce the garlic, I'm not really sure.  The allergist doing the challenge might have some specific protocol (s)he follows.  If not, I'd probably want to use a food that I know my child likes that tastes good with garlic added.  Like bread w/ garlic butter instead of regular butter.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »
There's a member called jessma03 whose ds is allergic to garlic.

I think PurpleCat has a dd allergic to garlic.

You are right!  DD can not eat any form of fresh or dehydrated garlic.  Garlic powder is OK - it is so processed that the protein is altered and does not cause her to react. 

In hindsight it explains so much with DD and pizza.  Most times she would gobble it up and other times take one bite and not want anymore.  We found out when she ate hummus and had anaphylaxis.  Her tests after that event showed class 6 for sesame and class 3 for garlic.  Now we know which local pizza stores use garlic, powdered garlic and no garlic.  The details that clog my brain! 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether a shallot is more like an onion or like garlic?

If I google this all I can find is that they are in the Allium Family along with onions, scallions, leeks and chives.

DD eats leeks scallions, and chives and onions without issue.  I keep looking at shallots and then shying away.  They look an awful lot like garlic the way they grow.  I use to cook with them often many years ago but I don't remember their flavor for sure, don't they taste a bit like garlic?  The doctor says just try it.  Me, not so much.  Don't want to cause a reaction.  But I do think we should find out if she is allergic to it or not.

Anybody know anything beyond what I can find with Google?

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
To me shallots taste like onion.  I have never even considered them to be like garlic.  But that is the extent of my opinion.  I have no idea whether they are closer to one or the other from the allergy perspective. 
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
They slice like onions (just shaped like garlic). They have layers like onions.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
I am allergic to garlic!  I make all of my own seasoning mixes.  I've also found a pizza sauce at Walmart that is garlic free.  Onion powder has become my go-to in lieu of garlic.  You can google garlic-free recipes; I recently found a great garlic and wheat free chili recipe.

I have not been brave enough to try shallots yet either.  I eat alot of asparagus and onion though, and have no issues with them.  When I am going to try a food, I usually rub a tiny amount on my lips and the inside of my lips.  If I'm allergic, it will burn.  Of course this is not necessarily safe.  If I were to do that with nuts, I'd end up in the hospital.  Sorry for not having better advice. =/
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

Offline Ell g

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:40:09 AM »
Asafoetida can be used as a substitute for garlic.  Shallots and onions are in the same family as garlic, so they can become an issue.  Read the sacrifices ingredients - I have found that many contained wheat.  It needs to be cooked, otherwise it stinks to high heavens.  Found in Indian and middle east stores.
me-banana tomato carrot melon chamomile garlic fish pork crustaceans poultry tree nuts wheat dairy venom multiple pollen multiple antibiotics