FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: UAL Warmed Nuts First Class  (Read 10245 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
UAL Warmed Nuts First Class
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »
I can post more about the whole "nut warming" thing on UAL, if you'd like.  (I would bet a million dollars they have warmed nuts for transatlantic flights!)  Maybe should start another thread?

I gave details on this to Gina/AllergyMoms when she was dealing with American Airlines and their warmed nuts offering.

Let me know -- will compile DH's info/experience with mine and then add in the friends/family who are UAL current crew for best/most current info.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: UAL Warmed Nuts First Class
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:19:29 PM »
Yes, I'd like that very much, please.

The LAST thing that we want to discover is that DD is just as aerosol sensitive to cashews as she is to peanuts...

somewhere south of Greenland.

:hiding:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:30:58 PM »
OK, this is some of what I shared in summer of 2011:

Just some additional information via family member who is pilot at United Airlines — UAL also serves something similar so far as heated nuts & likely there are some similarities with AA on this subject:

He states that the oven used on United for this is a convection oven . . . not microwave (as I had thought previously). Has metal face/door & not glass. Recalls that the convection oven uses bleed air and is fairly enclosed system — meaning exhausts/off ports air directly overboard. Though there would be some retained odor and certainly exhaust to the recirculated cabin air as oven contents are accessed when it is opened by flight attendants. I do not know what sort of aerosolized risk this might pose, though to be sure it might.

Understand that these ovens are in the galley. The galley is located in different places on aircraft, depending on the aircraft: fore, mid-ship, aft.

Additionally, with this nut service would come the added risk of having the flight attendants handling/touching for service (as well as for eating personally, if they choose) . . . and now the FA may also be serving beverages to the food allergic individual — or touching or helping in some other fashion — without having washed hands. So, cross-contamination risk and residue risk, beyond what might be cleaned up in pasesnger’s immediate area at pre-board.

I will try to get some updated info on this . . . am wondering what might be different on Continental aircraft now being used for flagged UAL flights.

Also, domestic experiences may be quite different from transoceanic -- different aircraft & config, plus MORE food loaded and completely different offerings on the RETURN from say, Europe, due to re-supply on ground in Europe from non-US food vendors.

I also found this (grossed me out!):

http://upgrd.com/matthew/hypoglycemic-united-fa-picks-and-eats-warm-nuts-as-she-delivers-them.html

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
I *think* the nut warming is at fairly low temp (below 300) and is for quite short time period.  I recall foil covering -- either indiviudally or in sheets?  But that may vary according to vendor/supplier.

I doubt there is enough heat to result in aerosolized protein . . . the nuts are not being fried or cooked on stove top in oil (thinking about Chinese rest and woks) at high enough heat to aerosolize . . .

Much more risk of Xcontam from nut-handling and residue if same flight attendants are handling those and doing other food service for LTFA person.  *Oh* -- and if the flight attendants are eating the nuts and then not washing up before serving or restocking the food/bev carts. 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:02:57 PM by ajasfolks2 »

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
Well that settles that. Absolutely no anything for DS1, not even 'safe' prepackaged labeled snacks or drinks EVER, from any flight attendant. I'll get DH to buy water once he's past security for DS. Terrific inside info!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
Ughhhhhhh....

well, I guess that settles it-- we'll be looking at B.A. again for our Transatlantic flights, cost be damned.

I guess I should talk to the airline first... I mean, it's possible that LHR to IAD won't serve them.   :-/  Also possible that Aer Lingus doesn't do this at all.

Thank you SO much for the info, Ajas. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
The flight attendants always seem to be snacking in the galley area . . . especially if a "lull" in the action on board.  They typically are eating their own food that they bring on board.  With the pay-for-box stuff now on airlines, there is less "loose" food for the attendants to have access to (except those nuts as in the story above) . . .

I rarely see them wash their hands after they eat . . . and often they are snacking on food(s) as they restock or fiddle with stuff in food service area.

And in some aircraft the aft galley area is co-located with the restrooms . . . ick.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:10:22 PM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »
This entire thing just makes flight delays and the security BULLSH*T that much more stressful for anyone with a LTFA, y'know??

How on EARTH am I supposed to carry on sufficient food and drink for my child and I to both eat-- for potentially 24 hours??  Security won't permit it, and if you plan to buy something PAST security, well-- good effing luck finding something that happens to be within one's comfort zone if you're MFA or in a foreign airport.

BLEH.   :tongue:

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »
YES, you CAN carry all the food (and drink!) you need through security -- but you would be wise to have physician's letter stating medical need and using the term "disability".  The TSA advisories address this at their website -- in the passengers with disabilites sections.  The "child under age 2" food rules won't apply, as the disability qualifies for special treatment.

And once you clear security, you make a bee line for kiosk that sells water/beverages to add to your carry on  beverage supply, if needed.  (Lots of people take empty water bottles through security and then fill them up at drinking fountains before boarding.)

You can also accept beverage in bottle/can from attendant and then wipe off, which might help some.  (Use own cups that you bring on board?)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
I guess there's no way around this one-- I need to find out if there are some specific flights (time-of-day) on that route (or LHR-DUB-ORD) which simply won't offer snack service in the first damned place. 

I think that I discovered that going eastward, this was true on the red-eye-- but then again, you're not flying into the jetstream there, either, so... shorter flight duration.

Wonder if it's worth it to do DUB-IAD....  shorter flight time... but... UGHHHHHHH, longer domestic flight after it. 

(Goes to look up flight times).

Western U.S.

Offline nonutsplz

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
I am flying from USA to Australia.  I just found out and I am so anxious about these warmed nuts. I called United and the customer service rep. could not tell me how they were prepared (She told me to ask the flight attendant that day!).  I won't bring my daughter with a PN/TN allergy on the flight and could not find a nut-free flight anywhere.  So sad.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »
I know that AA also has Warmed TN in first class. When DS had TNA, we did fine on AA if we sat far enough back. Of course you could have cross contaminated drinks, but maybe taking your own woukd work---and clorox wipe anything else.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 08:29:49 AM »
Regarding liquids.

Liquids, gels and aerosols
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) allows each traveler to carry on liquids, gels and aerosols in containers of 3.4 ounces (100 mL) or less, inside a single quart-size (liter-size) clear, sealable bag.​

My husband flies often, and he can buy drinks after going through security and bring it on. Expensive of course.  And that's domestic in Canada flights. Not positive if even that is allowed in the US.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »
Same rules in US.  You can buy your drinks at the airport after security, or bring a very small drink(3 oz or less in a quart bag) through security.
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 08:39:12 AM »
I am flying from USA to Australia.  I just found out and I am so anxious about these warmed nuts. I called United and the customer service rep. could not tell me how they were prepared (She told me to ask the flight attendant that day!).  I won't bring my daughter with a PN/TN allergy on the flight and could not find a nut-free flight anywhere.  So sad.

Air Canada will offer a buffer zone. Not sure how many hoops you have to jump through to get it though. (If a buffer zone is acceptable, you would have to transfer somewhere in Canada I assume. Probably no direct US to Australia flights, but I don't really know.)