FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Mfrs. & Packaged Food

Lender's Bagels

(1/6) > >>

Macabre:
I can't find a thread on Lender's. 

Edited to add: ignore my sesame concerns here. After several conversations with Lender's I am convinced there is no reason to be worried about sesame contamination).

For a while after Mezzo's child had a reaction after eating one with raisins we avoided them.  But  we eventually started using them again and have for years--the plain, the blueberry (I think), and the cinnamon raisin ones. 

It's the only bagel I, with a sesame allergy, have let myself eat. Not because I've called them, but because for years and years I've never had a problem.

I hadn't bought bagels for a couple of months but did last week. And I warmed two up on Wednesday and Thursday before taking DS to school. I ate mine on the way.  It takes about 30 minutes to get to school, and on both days, my stomach started hurting before arriving at school.  And felt gassy.

On Wednesday I assumed it was just the results of having too many black-eyed peas the day before (New Year's Day good luck thing--and WOWZA, where they good!!). 

And TMI: Spoiler (click to show/hide)I was in the bathroom all morning. And I was working while at a coffee shop, so this was not good.   
But on Thursday, I also had a bagel. I don't think the cream cheese was the issue. I guess it could have been, but goodness I've never had a problem with cream cheese, plain or otherwise (and this was plain neufchatel cream cheese).

And before my anaphylactic reaction to sesame in December, I haven't had any GI symptoms for sesame.  I'll have to go back and see if I did during the ana rxn. 

I was kind of hoping I had outgrown sesame, because I seem to be in the process of doing that for shellfish ("outgrowing" is a funny term. I developed sesame and shellfish allergies in 2005). 

ugh.

So now--no bagels for me.  Bleh.   :tongue:

BTW--DS who is peanut allergic only has NO PROBLEM with Lender's.  None. 

paparenttoo:
Mac, it is my understanding that only the frozen Lender bagels are o.k. for our population.  The frozen state on the package "Lenders bagels are baked in a nut-free environment and this product contains no milk and eggs."  Also, our grocery store only has the small 6 pre-sliced bagels in the frozen section w/the above statement on them.  In the fridge section of our grocery store there are the larger Lender bagels w/o the safety statement ---- it is my understanding that these bagels are made in a different factory that is not safe for our population.  Hope this helps and makes sense.

Also, found the link w/the Lender's discussion and more info from our old board:

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/9400

IowaMom:
My DD has been eating refrigerated Lenders for years without issues. She is PA only.

Macabre:
Ah, to be clear, I have no current reason to suspect that they are not safe for my PA son. 

I think they are now a problem for my sesame allergic self.

joshsmom:
My ds who is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame and sunflower seeds eats the frozen Lenders all the time. His favorite is the onion ones.. He only uses butter since he does not like cream cheese. We have never had a problem with them. I have emailed Lenders. Will post the response I get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version