FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Protracted GI  (Read 3759 times)

Description:

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
Protracted GI
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
Stupid, stupid, stupid.  :hiding:

Went to a meeting, had my hands on the table [which I generally try to avoid, but it was a sleepy, ditzy day].

Then, went to go get food. 

Driver of the car was grabbing fries out of the bag... and without thinking, I grabbed two and ate them [at that point I hadn't eaten for 12-14 hours, and I'm pretty sure what I had eaten THEN was a spoonful of Nutella  :hiding: ]. 

~25 minutes later... HORRIBLE pain in stomach area.  Lasted until about 10-11 PM, at which point mom decided to give me a HUGE dose of Benadryl.

Bye-bye stomach pain.

Stupid.   :banghead:

We think it wasn't actually the fries, as I've never had problems with that restaurant before... probably picked something up off the table. 
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Protracted GI
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »
Fries were Wendy's, btw.

Benadryl turned the pain off like a light switch at somewhere between the 12 and 14 minute mark. 

Pain returned the next morning, and so we limited exercise for 24 hours for fear of making the reaction worse.

Regular exercise on second morning brought back some pain in the same region, but a second zyrtec took care of it.

~Driver of the car.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
SkyScorcher, not stupid!  Unfortunately sometimes we make mistakes or do things others do every day as part of normal life with bad results.  All you can do is learn from it without beating yourself up about it. I'm glad it wasn't worse and you are feeling better.

Stomach symptoms like that scare me. In school I worry that someone may not be able to tell the difference between stomach flu or reaction.  Heck sometimes I worry that I won't be able to tell.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »
Oooh---I know exactly what those kind of reactions are like.  Benadryl makes the cramping go away, and it returns (in my case) in four hours. Boom.  For days.

I'm glad you're doing better. 

DS has had a couple of those accidental ingestion reactions, too.  It happens.  Don't beat yourself up about it. The important thing is that it wasn't worse and you are okay.  :yes:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline krasota

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »
If it's okay for you to consume, tonic water (rather, the quinine in it) may help with the gut spasms.  I use it after an accidental gluten exposure.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
Yep, ditto what McC said! 

Sometimes I think it's good to have a non-severe reaction to help us not to become lax and complacent with our comfort zones - especially so for teens and adults who've been living with FAs for many years.  Rather than kicking yourself, consider it a good reminder to always wash your hands before you eat.  16 y.o. DS got a similar reminder this summer DS had a reaction to shrimp  :yes:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
Thinking about this thread today. After a shellfish XC reaction last night--GI tract--I had to take benadryl this morning again at 5:30 and I should take some now. My stomach has been hurting. It's lower now than it was.  This stuff is working its way down. ugh. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »
just saw this thread.  :hiding:

So sorry you went through this.  I do agree with rebekahc about an occasional less-severe reaction is sometimes the kick in the pants some of us (adults and teens) need to remind us to keep our guard up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~Driver of the car.

Thank you for clarifying.  I was gonna cyber-slap her for taking fries from the driver.

Offline ratgirl

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »
I once had a reaction from shopping at Target. They were handing out free candy for some reason (??) and the cart I grabbed had a horribly sticky handle. I'm sure some little candy-eating kid had put his sticky hands all over it. I went and got a different cart, but got the regular tingly face reaction anyway. So based on this, yes, it could be from the table...