login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Vitamins?  (Read 1771 times)

Description:

Offline nonuteen

Vitamins?
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:54:16 AM »
Hi.  I am looking for a multi vitamin for my teenage girl.  She is allergic to peanuts/treenuts/soy and wondered if any of you had information on safe vitamins.  I am looking for one targeted toward teens that is free of all the fillers and made by a reputable company.
Any suggestions?  I've looked at our grocery stores and Vitamin World but am having a hard time finding something specifically for teens aside from the One a day.
Thanks!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:03:57 AM »
Well, she may not love the idea, but GummyVites (gummy bears) are specifically pn/tn/egg/shellfish free.  You'll have to check on the soy-- we use them for my 13yoDD and I take them sometimes too.  She is pn/tn and I am shellfish allergic.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »
Honestly, just because a vitamin is marketed specifically toward teens doesn't necessarily mean it's formulated differently from adult vitamins or even that one brand of "teen" vitamin is equivalent to another WRT nutrient content.  Your best bet is to figure out what nutrients your DD needs and find a safe vitamin that covers those needs.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
Pediatrician recommended the one marketed for teens but I am not against giving her an adult multivitamin given that she is "almost" an adult.  I noticed the teen vitamin having a higher percentage of a few things and less of others.

So, going with adult multi, does anyone know which ones have less fillers/ingredients?

Good idea about the Gummivites, I will look into that too.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
My teens use vita fusion. The 'grownup' version of gummy vites. Not sure about soy though.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »
Thanks!  I read the gummyvites at Target last night and they are soy free also!  I will look for the older version too.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
I looked at the vita fusion multi vites and calcium and both say they don't contain soy but there are products containing soy made in the same facility.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
Northwest Naturals is the manufacturer of the Gummy Vites brand including Vitafusion, Li'l Critters, and I'm sort of sure they manufacture for other brands. All of their products to my knowledge label for soy in facility. Because they resemble candy so much (all my doctor friends HATE any drug that resembles candy. Understood) check to see if the vitamin contains any iron. On their website Northwest Naturals specifies they manufacture their candy form vitamins without iron because it's difficult for children to realize the danger of iron overdosing. For a teen girl a vitamin without iron may be a non-starter so you may want to check the content.