login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Benadryl for allergic reaction???  (Read 50841 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Re: Benadryl for allergic reaction???
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »
I like that one too lakeswimr.  I've never seen it, but it is very similar to what my son's new school set in his IHP.  He's had an IHP since kindergarten, but none of the other schools had anything like that.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Benadryl for allergic reaction???
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
I just saw this.

http://www.asthmaallergieschildren.com/2013/01/12/auvi-q%E2%84%A2%E2%80%94thoughts-about-the-new-autoinjector/

The program began with a talk by Dr. John Oppenheimer, formerly of National Jewish in Denver and currently in private practice in New Jersey as well as Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and Associate Editor of the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.

Several things he said stood out. One was to cite a subject we have written about here—the misunderstanding of anaphylaxis by emergency department doctors. A second was the remarkable growth of exercise-induced anaphylaxis. A third was that he specifically cautions against administration of Benadryl as a first resort because the sedative effects can mask the onset of more serious symptoms like plunging blood pressure. And finally his observation that allergy practice frequently seems more like a matter of “risk management” than a healing art, or words to that effect. I hope to get Dr. Oppenheimer to write for us soon.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts