FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: help -- eczema on face  (Read 33895 times)

Description:

Offline GingerPye

Re: help -- eczema on face
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
I should reiterate that DD had some prescribed meds (ointments) that she used initially to clear up the eczema on her face.  She maintains her skin with the DML.  And she resorts to the meds when she's flared.  So, while these products seem to work really well for her, I don't know how they would have worked without the meds.  If you want to know what the meds are, I can go look in her bathroom --- can't remember off-hand what they are.  But also --- she has not had to use them for a long time now.  She is using the DML consistently, a couple times a day at least.

I'm guessing with consistent use that the DML would help somewhat.  But whether the DML would clear it entirely, I don't know.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »
Hydrocortisone makes perioral dermatitis worse.  My derm told me.

I think what you have on your eyelid is different. The area around your mouth looks like PD to me. I don't have such a delineated circle, but I've seen pics of it that way.

Some people think using shampoos and conditioners (and toothpastes) with sulfates is a factor. I am using sulfate free hair products and it seems to have helped, but it's not gone away entirely. 

I think you need to go to a dermatologist for it. It's not like the eczema many people deal with.

So if I had your PD, those bumps would last for several months. One may appear to get smaller but come back.  It can have a little pus-like stuff in it. I could kind of pop it like a zit and the white head would go away, but the bump itself would not.

Physicians Formula make up makes a liquid concealer that helps mask red. It works very well. I haven't worn foundation since high school, and I just use a tiny dab of the PF stuff and use powder like I normally do. It helps and lasts most of the day.  That may help some of the PD area.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
huh.  I had to look that up:  http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/perioral-dermatitis

I hadn't heard of it.  Interesting.  It does say to stop all topical steroid meds. 

DD's eczema is not quite like that.  She had eczema-looking patches on her face - cheeks, around her mouth, up along her nose, forehead, and in her eyebrows.  She would scratch at her eyebrows and even had some bare spots in her eyebrows from all that scratching.  So itchy.   

So yeah, you probably should try to see a dermatologist to see exactly what you are dealing with.  In the meantime, you can try some different lotions --- what my DD uses or others --- to try to get some relief.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:00:57 PM by GingerPye »
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 02:40:46 PM »
I take Doxycycline.   The tablet form caused less reflux than the capsule.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
For awhile M had a patch of eczema on his face that would not go away and it began to look like hand foot and mouth  :hiding: daycare was alarmed! Our derm had us mixing a steroid cream with an antibiotic cream in the palm of my hand before applying. I would definitely see a derm though.... I've had so many different things on my face that look like eczema, but weren't. I forget what the most recent was- foliculitis? But the steroids made it angry. I treat it with a rosacia med.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Ciel

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
Something new and horrible to worry about, right on schedule.  :(

I'm going to call my doctor on Monday and see about getting a referral to a dermatologist. Antibiotic cream would be better, but I guess I will see what she thinks. I'm not going to buy or try any products until after she has had a look. I'm already on Omeprazole twice daily for reflux, I'd really rather not poke that particular beast if you know what I mean. And I am already facing antibiotics + antifungals for chronic sinusitis that just won't go away.

So far the little blisters don't look like what I would think of as acne. So far there has only been clear fluid. So far.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »
I've got that, too. :)

Visitor

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
I am a physician.  I was on here to read about school accomodations and I saw this thread.  There is so much misinformation on this thread that I decided to post.  I normally don`t give medical advice out on the internet.  For the photo that was posted on this thread, your skin around your mouth and nose would be 90% better in a few of days with muciprocin ointment.  There is no need for oral antibiotics for mild skin infections.  Most will clear well with topical antibiotics and you avoid the systemic side effects.  Most atopic dermatitis or eczema that is chronic clears almost completely with topical antibiotics, even if there is no blatant skin infection.  The lesions in the photo would test positive if cultured.  I will come back and delete this at some point, but I was cringing every time I read the misinformation on this thread (and some others on this board).

Offline Ciel

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Thank you, I will ask my doctor for her opinion about muciprocin ointment. I'm assuming that is a topical antibiotic. I'm not sure I can understand what you are highlighting as misinformation though without specific examples. Also, do you mean test positive for a bacterial infection, or something else? Thanks

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
It was very clearly stated that the OP should see a dermatologist to see what she's dealing with.  Posters in this thread are simply sharing experiences that we've had and possible OTC lotions that might provide some relief (and yes, meds that have been prescribed for them and their eczema).  But still, it was clearly stated that the OP should see a dermatologist for a diagnosis of her particular problem.

ciel, I'm glad you are getting a referral to a dermatologist.  Hope you can get in soon.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
My personal experience only:  I have also had peri-oral dermatitis.  Ceil, this and eczema are not the same.  I had to take an oral antibiotic under the care of a dermatologist, after trying topical antibiotics.  Prescibed topical antibiotic ointment.  I was breastfeeding at the time, so could not use the particular antibiotic needed until ds weaned. 

So, you may have 2 different conditions going on on your face.  I would see a doctor.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
Read this about mupirocin.  I am not sure if it is prescriptive, so I would check with a doctor before using it indiscriminately. 

"It is suggested, however, that mupirocin cannot be used for extended periods of time, or indiscriminately, as resistance does develop, and could, if it becomes widespread, destroy mupirocin's value as a treatment for MRSA. It may also result in overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mupirocin
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Ciel

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »
Yes, absolutely. I don't plan on doing anything until I see my doctor. I will call to make an appointment tomorrow and hopefully will be able to see her in the coming week to get her opinion and a referral. Until then I'm just waiting it out.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
I am a physician.

This is the Internet.

I want to remind everyone who reads this forum, unless someone proves they are a doctor/lawyer/fill-in-the-blank, it is much safer to assume they are not.

Visitor

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »
Read this about mupirocin.  I am not sure if it is prescriptive, so I would check with a doctor before using it indiscriminately. 

"It is suggested, however, that mupirocin cannot be used for extended periods of time, or indiscriminately, as resistance does develop, and could, if it becomes widespread, destroy mupirocin's value as a treatment for MRSA. It may also result in overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms."

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mupirocin]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mupirocin

I didn`t suggest using it indiscriminately.  I suggested using it for a few days.  Any antibiotic can cause bacterial resistance.  The longer it is used, the more likely it will cause resistance.   Wikipedia isn`t saying anything particularly profound.  However, the lesions in the photo that was posted would probably be 90% gone in a few days with muciprocin.   And since it is prescription, of course she would have to see her physician to get treated with muciprocin.  With all the non-medical people giving misinformation on this thread, I just thought I would post some correct information.  A lot of general doctors don`t realize how often eczema or atopic dermatitis is secondarily infected.  It is not alway obvious until you treat with topical antibiotics instead of topical antiinflamatories and it clears.