login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: help -- eczema on face  (Read 33875 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: help -- eczema on face
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
Ciel, I don't know if I've mentioned it, but some folks say that sulfites and fluoride contribute to perioral dermatitis. I have found it helpful to use a sulfate fee shampoo.

I have read that apple cider vinegar with mother or any vinegar with mother used topically helps. I am trying that right now. Started yesterday. Egads it smells.

I am going through a flare right now--for the last week and a half I think. This was taken a week ago. It's much worse now and has started to go to an eyebrow. 

Hmmm. It will not upload. But here is one i just took--but I have coverup makeup over it. It really is much redder.

I use Carmex before bed every night, but for the last two to three weeks I've been out, so I used a Burt's Bees pomegranate lip balm. I used it last winter, too.  I was wondering about a possible connexion, so I looked at the ingredients online.

I did not see chamomile (I'm allergic to it). But I did see something that looked like cinnamon to me.  Cinnamon really bothers me. If I am sitting next to someone chewing cinnamon gum or have it myself, my stomach starts to burn.

Well, guess what? 

I had some very bad perioral dermatitis a few years ago and then noticed the Neuteogena cleanser that I used daily in the shower now had chamomile. I threw it away, and my perioral dermatitis went away.

I'm hoping between the apple cider vinegar and not using that lip balm anymore mine disappears fast. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Ciel

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 07:50:45 PM »
Interesting. I hope the ACV helps!

I will try to post a photo tomorrow...I guess it can look different per the individual, but I'm still not sure that mine is the same. I'm not allergic to chamomile but maybe something else; except I can't think of what that could be because my shampoo is a mixture of Dr. Bronners pure unscented castile soap, avocado or olive oil, and water...I rinse with apple cider vinegar diluted with water, and I use coconut or olive oil on my skin for the most part. Unless it is something I am ingesting like food or meds, or something mysterious that gets on my skin unintentionally, or .. or .. or .. it could be anything. I know for me steroids seem to be a major trigger - like prednisone but hopefully not my inhaler. I do use Burt's Bees honey lip balm, have been using it for years but I will check anyway.

Mine is much better right now, just a little bit of redness or blisters around my nose. I had to take a course of antibiotics for a double ear infection a few weeks ago and I concede that it probably was a factor in the improvement (although it was keflex). I hope yours clears up quickly - crossing my fingers for you!

Offline Ciel

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 08:42:01 PM »
Have you noticed any improvement yet? Hopefully...

I have a photo that I will post briefly in OT/V&D. Let me know if you think we are dealing with the same thing.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2013, 08:41:09 AM »
my ds has a new cream for eczema which is a prescription.  its called Hylatopic Plus.  Its really nice cream.  His arms and legs were very dry last visit to derm and he prescribed it.  Has anyone tried it? 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »
No, but I'll be very interested to know how it works for him.  I've got two kiddos with eczema now.  DS is peeling and itchy and has patches on his face that he scratches til bleeding.  Ugh.  DD takes better care of her skin but still has a lot of peeling on her face right now.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2013, 10:16:42 AM »
He's been using it awhile.  he loves it.  I noticed how nice it is the past few weeks since I've had to apply it for him. 
it is heavy, but not in a way like eucerine or aquaphor where it is goopy.  it made my hands very soft! 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
What is in it that makes it prescription?
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Mfamom

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
ooh, I have no idea!  Its expensive though.  I have very good insurance and ended up only paying maybe $15 for it, but the dr warned me and gave a coupon when he prescribed it.

Ingredients:
water, glycerin, ethlhexyl palmitate, cetearayl alcohol, propylene glycol, dicetyl phosphate, petrolatum, theobroma grandiflorum seed butter, dimethicone, ceteraeth 10 phosphate, steareth 10, phenoxyethanol, hydroxypropyl bispalmitamide, MEA (ceramide, tocopheryl acetate, sodium hyaluronate, disodium EDTA and Sodium Hydroxide

Committee Member Hermes