imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384576 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline MaryM

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1590 on: August 31, 2017, 04:46:49 PM »
Earlier this week I wrote my final email introducing DD and her allergies to her elementary school teacher.  I received a great response and realize I've made an impact during my many years at the school.  Her teacher told me she and the other 5th grade teacher did away with food Birthday parties a few years ago.  Yes, that would have been when DS was going into 5th grade and I made the request to the other 5th grade teacher.  Happy to know that they've continued with no food celebrations regardless of whether there are allergies in the class or not.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1591 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »
That's so nice MaryM! It feels good to know you've made an impact that improves things for others. :yes:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1592 on: August 31, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »
It feels good since I feel like I'm the only advocate at the school.  Happy to know we've made a difference for the kids who come after us.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1593 on: September 01, 2017, 03:06:50 PM »
Yay!!   :nocupcakes:
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1594 on: September 03, 2017, 12:13:31 AM »
When you get to the lake and realize you forgot your waterproof EpiPen case... You drink an entire water bottle and put your EpiPens inside (in their usual zip top bag) and tie it to your swimsuit.  Perfect solution!

And, always research your destination, even if it is within a city with emergency rescue nearby.  This lake was an abandoned quarry full of water.  It was fun and beautiful and lovely, but unless there is an access road that doesn't have a permanent and thick solid steel gate (people crawl through an opening to gain access), no vehicles could get near the lake.  It was a 1 km hike after that gate too, so not the best place for someone who could require emergency medical attention.  My guess is their response would have to be by helicopter... Or some sort of off road or bicycle rescue team.  Unless they have a key to the gate.  Scary to think about.  I didn't eat anything or sit near anyone with food.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1595 on: September 03, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »
Clever!  We shall knight you MacGyver!   :thumbsup:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1596 on: September 04, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
That's very cool! I've told DS about it in case he's in that sitch and has Epis instead of AuviQs. How big was the mouth?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1597 on: September 05, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »
It was a steel water bottle with a large mouth.  Bonus points that in bringing EpiPens in the water with me they kept much cooler than on the beach. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1598 on: September 05, 2017, 05:56:08 AM »
It feels good since I feel like I'm the only advocate at the school.  Happy to know we've made a difference for the kids who come after us.

Good for you Mary - and good for those that follow you.   :yes:

SC, that was brilliant.  I'll have to tell DS about that hack.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1599 on: September 09, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »
Amazon Prime Canada now has Enjoy Life trail mix individual packets for a decent price.  It's 48 packages for $54.21 - still expensive, but cheaper than ordering them in America and having TSA check every single packet with bomb/drug testing swabs and making you nearly miss your flight home.  YAAAYYYYYY!!! 

It's the small things some days. 

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1600 on: September 15, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
I have trained my sister well!  This actually has to do with inclusion of a little girl with diabetes, but my sister would do the same thing for allergies.  My sister is a Girls on the Run coach and one of her runners has diabetes.   The mom reached out to her about snacks and whether she should send something with her daughter...my sister assured her that they will only serve healthy snacks and will make sure everyone can have them because she knows how disappointing/frustrating it can be for kids when they cannot have the same thing as everyone else.  They have set it up to notify the school nurse of the snack in advance to make sure the little girl is good to go.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1601 on: September 15, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #1602 on: September 15, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
When you are on the fence about ordering a laminator and someone says you can use it to laminate recipe cards.  Sold. 
(Have been saving recipes for the kids for when they go off on their own - many of my old cards have had to be re-written).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1603 on: September 15, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
YKW...my sister selected some of the easier favorites from the family and then put them in a word document.  She printed them out for the 3 "kids" who have graduated college so they had some recipes.  It was a Christmas present so she bought a few kitchen essentials t go with the recipes also.  She plans on doing it for the next 3 kids once done with college or at least once in an apartment.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1604 on: September 16, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »
That's a lovely gift Hezz.  Very thoughtful, useful and personal.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US