FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384705 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline MaryM

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1605 on: September 17, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
hezz - your sister is so thoughtful - the snack thing and the gift! 

I sent DS off to a bar mitzvah with only a granola bar and some candy for dessert.  I called the catering hall earlier this week and was promptly transferred to the chef.  He offered to make safe fries and chicken for DS.  DS had to ask for him when he arrived at the party and wanted me to text him what to say so he wouldn't forget anything.  I have not seen DS as I was asleep when he got home and he is still asleep but he did answer my text during the party that he was good.  I am proud of myself bc I went out to dinner with friends and did not park myself outside of the catering hall "just in case"!  I am thrilled that this chef was so accommodating.  Its nice to have more options with only one food allergy but egg is a tricky one still.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1606 on: September 17, 2017, 09:00:20 AM »
MaryM-love this kind of story, glad he could eat at the party

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1607 on: September 17, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »
DS told me the chef made him grilled chicken parm & fries!  That was a nice surprise.  DS was expecting a piece of plain grilled chicken.  I want him to send a thank you note.  Have to add that to the list of things to get done this week.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1608 on: September 17, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »
That's wonderful Mary.  I'm so glad both of you were able to have a good time.  And yes, I spent some nights parked outside the catering halls as well, or at least within 5 minutes of them.   ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1609 on: September 17, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »
That's wonderful Mary.  I'm so glad both of you were able to have a good time.  And yes, I spent some nights parked outside the catering halls as well, or at least within 5 minutes of them.   ;D

Glad to hear I am not the only one who has done that ;0
The next one will be tough as the party is on a Sunday at the Synagogue hall.  I told DS to talk to his friend - we are not a kosher kitchen so I am not sure what we can do.  Maybe his mom can put me in touch with the caterer.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1610 on: September 26, 2017, 05:21:37 PM »
<edited significantly after all was said and done>

We're headed to Hawaii in a few weeks.  The chef at our resort has been incredible in answering all my questions and even saying he will ensure I get the opportunity to indulge whilst on vacation.  (After my mention of being content with plain rice and steamed veggies.)  So exciting.  He sent me the name of the shave ice syrup they use so I could check into it and triple check it would be safe.  The manufacturer has been extremely fast with email replies and fully transparent with all their ingredients and sources.  He even offered to add allergy warnings if I found any of their ingredients to have possible risk for any top-10.  And, it's safe for all I can tell.  It looks like I will have a new and local treat to try on vacation!!   

:yes:

The FDA lists lychee as a nut though, which is super confusing. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:57:05 PM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1611 on: September 27, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »
Space - that is awesome!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #1612 on: September 28, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
Can I just say that it really sucks to have a severe apple allergy in the fall? There are lots of fun things I want to take the kids to, but half of them have multiple apple things (or campfires).

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1613 on: September 29, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »
I would hate that Janelle! 

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1614 on: September 29, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
So called a pizza restaurant that the swim team will be ordering pizza from for an event this weekend, asked for a manager...asked him if they used any nuts or if any of their ingredients were cross contaminated with nuts...he said he really didn't know but they used canola oil and the owner's son is allergic to peanut oil so it should be fine.

We will be bring a pizza for DS.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1615 on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
At least you know ahead of time that this place will be a bust!

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1616 on: October 01, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
Yes, very true...we go every year to a swim team family's farm to apple pick as a team.  This year involved pizza, games and apple cider donuts for dessert (we brought our own...the other FA swimmer was happy to come find me when he wanted a donut too...I had told his mom in the morning that I would have Koffee Kups).

DS was quite shocked at the manager's responses to my questions.  He was floored that the guy had no clue.  The funniest part about the whole things was that DS got the better end of the deal...Domino's was a far superior pizza to the kind the team bought.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #1617 on: October 01, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
Hezz, on the clueless restaurant owner scale, I called a Japanese restaurant when we were invited to a family function to see if I could safely eat there...the owner told me that my soy allergy was ok because they made their own soy sauce there...

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1618 on: October 01, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
Packing today for an upcoming holiday. Half of my suitcase is full of food.

Next trip this month we will have a full suitcase of food. Fingers crossed the airline will waive the checked baggage fee for me for that bag. (They usually do, but not always.)

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1619 on: October 03, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
The fear of returning to the site of your worst-ever allergic reaction is real.  I want to go, because I know it will be super fun, but I'm also fighting to keep the nightmares and PTSD controlled enough to actually enjoy the experience.  I'm also fighting the urge to starve myself.  I will bring food, but not enough to sustain me for nine very active days.  (I will eat plain garden salad from their PN/TN-free kitchen, so I won't totally starve, but it still won't be enough food.)  I have been back to this location once since the reaction and was ok, and had a great time.  I have friends who will look out for me.  I just wish I could feel excited instead of terrified.