login
Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 139159 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1665 on: January 17, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
One thing I thought of, SC.  I notice I seem to react slightly to potatoes.  I first started noticing the reactions while eating out (since I rarely eat potatoes at home).  If I had a baked potato, I would react when I ate the skin but no other time.  At first I thought it was perhaps due to workers wearing latex gloves while handling the potatoes.  Then I noticed I was reacting to fries with skins on.  Then I began reacting to all potatoes.  It's never severe and never progresses beyond some mucous in my throat and upper lung area.  Not sure if it could be OAS...

Anyway, you might try both the skin and the flesh (is that the correct term?) for your challenge.  Oh, also, russet potatoes were the first I reacted to, but now I react to red potatoes, too.

Hope that's helpful to you.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1666 on: January 18, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »
I don’t know if they specified thebpotato, but Yukon Golds are naturally softer and more “buttery” by themselves. They are really so much easier to eat than russets.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1667 on: January 18, 2018, 06:49:41 AM »
Oh, I just read RC’s post. Maybe russets would be best.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1668 on: January 18, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
Rebekah, that sounds a lot like OAS, which is what my allergist suspects mine will be, though I am still skeptical because I have no other history of typical OAS symptoms at all, to anything.  He has questioned me about apples, celery, and some other OAS foods twice, but I can eat an unwashed Apple off an orchard tree in the height of pollen season without any issue whatsoever. 

I asked about meds (all ok since I don't regularly take antihistamines) but not breakfast, so I will call about that. 

Good point on eating the flesh and skin. 
anaphylaxis to tree nuts, peanuts, and potatoes; severe dairy intolerance; vegan (preference)
family members allergic to dairy, egg, peanut, sesame, shellfish

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1669 on: January 18, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
Yeah, I don't have OAS to other things, either even though I'm allergic to so many pollens, grasses, etc.  I'm a bit surprised that if potatoes cause OAS I don't have actual mouth symptoms - no swelling, tingling, itchy palate, redness around my mouth - just mucous in my deep throat/ upper lungs - past my vocal cords, so not where the food actually touches.  It's just weird, but maybe potato OAS is weird...or I am?  ;)
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.