FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384810 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline spacecanada

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #645 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
The assigned camp cooks for our weekend camp refused to cook for special diets and allergies.  They were going to feed allergens to children with declared allergies.  (Thank God I realised it before anyone ate anything.)  My weekend plans were scrapped and I became camp cook for the 20 girls with special diets.  I may need a month or two (or more) to recover from the situation.  Not a pleasant situation to be tossed into, especially when recovering from PTSD due to anaphylaxis.  Yay, the nightmares are back.  Thanks.  :rant:

On the flip side, we had many special diets kids who were tickled pink to have so much safe food at camp.  And our cupcakes were significantly better than the ones everyone else had. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #646 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
The assigned camp cooks for our weekend camp refused to cook for special diets and allergies.  They were going to feed allergens to children with declared allergies.  (Thank God I realised it before anyone ate anything.) 

:o

:disappointed:

You may have saved somebody's life.  I can't believe they were going to do that.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #647 on: June 17, 2014, 06:07:23 AM »
Yikes spacecanada, that is really something.  What if you were unavailable/unwilling to fill in?  What kind of camp is this?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #648 on: June 17, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
It was a Girl Guide camp, sad to say.  I was supposed to be running another activity at said camp, not in the kitchen at all.  I made up the special diets menu (as to which ingredients had to be used and who could eat what) but they mixed everything together, with no consideration that some participants couldn't eat some of those special diet menu items.  (i.e. the GF pretzels contained sesame, and were in the bag for the participant with life-threatening sesame allergy; we had other pretzels containing wheat but no sesame).  They didn't believe me when I said they could have killed a child, and refused to learn how to read labels or make accommodations.  At that point, I desperately wanted to go home (I was furious) but knew I had to step up as cook to keep others safe.  I don't want to think about what would have happened if I wasn't there to step in.

For someone who is very involved in Guiding, I now need to take a break from it.  And to think one of these apathetic cooks, the one who was most vocal about her unwillingness to accommodate special diets, has a job working with special needs children.  I'm appalled. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #649 on: June 21, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
Today is a crazy hectic day.  I didn't have time to exercise, and probably won't tomorrow either.  Since the pool opened today, I figured I'd go for a quick dip, do a few laps.

The pool was just filled with ice water and has not had time to warm up, and I had about a half hour.  Nobody else....not even kids....had gone as deep as their knees.  But I was determined.

I got as far as my waist and said to the life guard, "this is likely to give me a heart attack, is there an AED around?"  She looked around.  (Great, just got her orientation and she doesn't know whether or not there is one?).

Anyway, then I said "never mind.  I've got an epi-pen over there.  That'll give the heart a jumpstart if needed."

See that!  I'm prepared for everything. Lol.

Anyway, I got in and swam for about a half hour.  Hard to actually hold your breath and swim when the water is that cold.  I have a whole new understanding of hypothermia.

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #650 on: June 21, 2014, 06:02:38 PM »
I've always considered libraries the enduring bastion of safety. Those signs prohibiting eating and drinking spoke to my soul.

No longer. I've encountered people eating meals, those lovely shrimp fumes, and reactions to touching the equipment. The systematic dismantling of my faith reached its nadir when I was stuck in the restroom while someone ate their food. The fact that they retreated to the unmonitored restrooms proves their awareness of the policy, which makes their decision all the more egregious.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #651 on: June 22, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
So, apparently apples can be an airborne problem for me, if they are being prepared and baked in large quantities.  This has not been the case before, but being that it was essentially a 'blind' challenge for me, I'm not going to question it.

Awesome.  :banghead:

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #652 on: June 25, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »
Cuban food is safe for DS1.  Whodathunk?  (Not all Cuban food - specifically what he was eating).  Not only that - he ate it with a smile on his face.  He had that "When Harry Met Sally" moan going.   :happydance:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #653 on: June 28, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »
I'm a little excited to bring my Allerject trainer in to our firs aid class tomorrow morning.  The instructor only has EpiPen trainers, and I figure everyone should be aware that other options exist and how to use them too.   :thumbsup:

Now... if only the first aid course didn't trigger my PTSD.  Gah.  I'm making an appointment with my GP next week to talk about this. With all the recent triggers and episodes, I need further mental health treatment. :-/

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #654 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »
I had given my twinject trainer to my son when he taught that course.

Sorry your stressed.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #655 on: July 02, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
Dd's mouth is itching a bit after eating walnuts & a little coconut ... neither of these foods has ever been a problem ... will tell allergist at next appt, but I am really hoping it's nothing.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #656 on: July 08, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
Mango challenge done and NOT allergic to mango.  WOOT!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:

May be allowed to challenge garbanzo at home, after next doc appt.

Am hoping both kids can be challenged on PISTACIO soon!!
Just need to find some that are truly NOT-xcontam with any other nuts or peanut!!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #657 on: July 08, 2014, 10:39:52 AM »
Congrats Ajas!!!     :thumbsup:

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #658 on: July 08, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »
ohhhh, that's GREAT news, ajas!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #659 on: July 08, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »
That's wonderful news, AJAS!

Check out "Wonderful" brand pistachios - we use their almonds b/c they are truly not X-contam with any other nut; hopefully it's the same with pistachios.  :)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US