FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391451 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline yelloww

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #660 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
Keenan Farms pistachios aren't xcont. They sell them in our grocery store, but I called and talked to someone there a while ago. They only do pistachios. Ds has been eating theirs for about 18 mos now.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #661 on: July 11, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
DS1 tells me he feels normal within our homeschool group and for once DS2 is the outsider.  The majority of our members are GF due to intolerances.  They were discussing their various issues the other night and DS1 was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Odd feeling.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #662 on: July 25, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
Dd's mouth is itching a bit after eating walnuts & a little coconut ... neither of these foods has ever been a problem ... will tell allergist at next appt, but I am really hoping it's nothing.

:-/

She had baklava today and her tongue slightly itched.

She just admitted that one of her favorite treats, magic bars, made her mouth itch a little the other day and she didn't tell me because she didn't want to make a big deal of it.   :paddle:

I wonder if it could be OAS.  I don't want to avoid another food ... not that anybody wants to.

I told her no more walnuts until we see what the allergist says.

ETA - I should call the restaurant to make sure the baklava didn't have coconut in it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:19:15 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #663 on: August 04, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »
It's so nice when you feel your allergist really knows her stuff, when everything said makes sense, when you feel that you are in good hands.  I feel like we are on the same page as far as how to handle things.  Definitely worth the drive.

:yes:

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #664 on: August 04, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
When a parent points to your MedicAlert bracelet and Allerject holder and remind her child (with allergies) how important it is to do the same (because she wasn't wearing her bracelet at the time), it makes you smile a bit on the inside.  I work with kids, but never really thought of myself as a mentor for kids with allergies too.  :yes:
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #665 on: August 05, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »
We were away for over a week.  At dinner last night DD said, "finally!  A home cooked meal!!!".  Translation:  Finally!  After 10 longs days, a meal that requires no discussion about allergies, allergens, how food is cooked, just point your finger at me and make me feel weird cause I am different, and no anxiety that I was heard, listened to and care was truly taken in making my meal!"

It's not easy being DD eating away for so long.  She had a couple of moments that worried me but admitted she made herself sick because of her own anxiety.

Her coaches did not understand why we did not go with them to Texas Roadhouse......until at breakfast the next morning when they expressed their shock and admitted to not understanding what we mean by "peanuts being everywhere".  They asked how I knew and I smiled and said "Oh my FAS friends were quick to warn me to call ahead first!"  She and I had a lovely meal at Longhorn Steakhouse instead.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #666 on: August 05, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
It's so nice when you feel your allergist really knows her stuff, when everything said makes sense, when you feel that you are in good hands.  I feel like we are on the same page as far as how to handle things.  Definitely worth the drive.

Oh, this makes my day, Links!!   :heart:  I want that for EVERY person at FAS. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #667 on: August 05, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

Oh, this makes my day, Links!!   :heart:  I want that for EVERY person at FAS.

and you know what else ... she's kind, and very professional.

Yes, I also wish that for all with FA.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #668 on: August 05, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »
Last week I had to buy a gift bag for a baby gift, and I found a really cute one that had a card already attached.  There was a design of an elephant, and inside it said something like, "Welcome to the little peanut."

I Just.  Couldn't.  Buy.  It.  Could not.

So I bought an ugly one with a blank card instead.

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #669 on: August 06, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »
LOL,  peanuts are Evil.   >:(

Just like our baked egg cake and our baked milk cake --- both cakes are EVIL.  (DD did not pass those challenges)  We threw out the evil cakes.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #670 on: August 06, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
Yes-- and it's astonishing how GOOD one feels about dumping out that evil food, isn't it??  It's massively cathartic to "punish" the food by putting it into the garbage.   

:misspeak:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #671 on: August 14, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Life with a severe food allergy:  Seeing a puddle on the floor of the Walmart aisle, and thinking: "That's either pee or apple juice...I hope it's pee."

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #672 on: August 22, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
Slight mouth itch again today with just a graham cracker. The other day with graham cracker, peanut butter, & carrots.

Strange.    :-/

I will have to get the blood test done soon to try & see what's up.  It's more of an annoyance than anything at this point, but it might make it harder for me to tell if the sesame allergy is becoming more sensitive.

I was trying to explain OAS to dd ... I don't think that I did a very good job.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #673 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »
My posting style is such that I don't name my docs on here .... but I think that I will give our allergist a nickname ... maybe I've been inspired by CM's use of Dr.Awesome.  My feeling is that I will probably be with her a long time, unless they kick me out and tell me not to return which is always a distinct possibility with me  :P .

So I was thinking maybe HumbleGuru or TheSerene&Wise1 , but I've decided on Dr-FA-Yoda because every good FA-Jedi needs a Yoda.

Although tempting, I will refrain from calling our GI Dr.Skywalker   :misspeak:   ;D
Warning - Some language.
"Colon Wars"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLqBLoScSYEGdT6e0PpIVNWpdTZonayRkV&v=74oK6RFNmDg&feature=youtu.be

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #674 on: August 23, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »
 ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US