FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391866 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline MaryM

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #915 on: January 14, 2015, 07:42:44 AM »
DD does not have a huge appetite like her brother, but I do expect her to eat her lunch at school.  Most days I send a hot lunch in a thermos.  Both kids prefer this to sandwiches.  I have noticed that her thermos has been coming home with almost the same amount as I sent.  She will tell me she ate a lot or that she asked the Lunchroom Aide if she could be done and they said yes, or take 2 more bites.  Last night I asked her why she isn't eating.  I swear she ate one bite of what I sent in yesterday...She wanted to talk to me about it away from DS.  We went upstairs and she told me that lots of kids have milky things and she is worried it will cross contaminate her food  :-/.  I asked her about the peanut free table and she said they all have milk there too.  I told her we can arrange for her to sit at the end of the table with only one person next to her and she said that is where she tries to sit.  I reassured her that since her food is in a thermos that it is really quite safe and she should not be afraid to eat it.  This makes me very sad.   

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #916 on: January 14, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
That is sad.  :grouphug:

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #917 on: January 14, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
Mary, when my DD was young, I use to pack colored paper place mats (from the party store) with her lunch.  It gave her a visual space on that table that was hers.  Maybe that can help?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #918 on: January 15, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
Another day, another pair of allergens.

{sigh}

Dog and cat both.  Didn't test other animals, as we already know that rabbit is positive too.

Alternaria (outdoor mold) also really big-- impressively so, in fact-- flare on that one was the diameter of a baseball. 

I'll post photos.

We're probably going to do shots-- and in that case, we'll top off the grass, tree, weed pollen mixture in the other arm, as well-- since it's been three years and that one is wearing off a touch.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #919 on: January 15, 2015, 07:13:55 PM »
Does everyone end up re-doing allergy shots?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #920 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
Nah-- for some people they REALLY stick.

DH seems to be in that category.  I have no idea whether or not I am, since I didn't do them long enough.

Here are her photos:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doc agreed that the one remaining cat is likely to be a low felV1 shedder (from our description), and that desensitization is likely the way to go.

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #921 on: January 19, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »
Five "mild" reactions in the past month and a half (two should have had Epi :hiding:), plus two scares, and the cumulative anxiety has run me over.  I am making an appointment with a psychologist, although I think I should just move to my own allergy-free island paradise where I grow all my own food from scratch.

Wouldn't that be nice, an allergy-friendly island where we all understand allergies, labels are 100% reliable, people aren't eating everywhere and at all times, no food in the classroom, people wash their hands after eating, and everyone is kept safe and worry-free?  Sign me up!

Yep, that kind of day.  I may make some safe cookies later to cheer me up.  (Oh, the irony!)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #922 on: January 19, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
Sorry about all the cr@p you've been through.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #923 on: January 19, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »
I'm sorry spacecanada.  Sounds like you've really hit a rough patch, and are doing the right thing by getting some assistance in dealing with it.  :console:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

guess

« Reply #924 on: January 19, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
I'd like one of those amazing treatments supposedly on the near horizon that are bandied about.

Space, I wish you best of luck, health and supportive thoughts your way.  You've always tackled the stress head on with a plan and goal.  :cocktail:

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #925 on: January 19, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Sometimes I just need to vent and get some reassurance from someone other than my husband.  This site is the best.  Psychologist appointment will be next week.

Now, the big dilemma of the day: which type of chocolate to use in basic chocolate chip cookies: Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels, Enjoy Life mega chunks, or Camino semisweet chips?
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline starlight

« Reply #926 on: January 19, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
spacecanada, very basic chocolate chip cookies usually have semi-sweet. Or, you know, you could just use some of each.  :happydance:  ;D  :hiding:

My self-created allergy drama: I bought a box of enjoy life apple cinnamon bars. They have sunflower(?) butter in them. I know I'm not allergic to anything in them. But I'm having a hard time ramping myself up to try one, my self-preservation instinct just flares up. I've never tried any of the nut-free imitation butters, they all just look too similar and freak me out and I thought this would be a way to ease myself into having at least one new healthy(-er than usual at least) option.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #927 on: January 19, 2015, 10:57:42 PM »
Which type?

YES.

There.  That was easy, now wasn't it?   ;D

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #928 on: January 20, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »
Starlight are you thinking it will be easier to try it for the first time as an ingredient and not just out ifnthe jar?  I might buy a jar (do not get the kind that is not mixed--not sure if they still make the one that needs stirring). Grab a (totally PF spoon--keep it in a ziplock or something), head to the nearest hospital and eat it. You will be fine of course (if you're not allergic to sunflower). I think I would have an easier time dealing with one ingredient, well, one as in sunbutter, than several at a time.

But yeah--you know what--if your life is complete without Sunbutter maybe don't worry about adding the new bars, yk?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #929 on: January 20, 2015, 07:51:48 AM »
Starlight - the first time I bought Sunbutter - 11-12 years ago- I opened the jar, smelled it and then waited for DH to cme home from work.  I smelled so much like pb.  I was afraid to try it.  I eventually did and loved it but I can't eat it anymore.  Not sure if I'm allergic to it (I eat plenty of things with sunflower oil) or if it's OAS.

Spacecanada - good luck.  I have been following your posts and I think you are amazing.  I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. 

With regards to my DD.  I have an appointment for her in early February with a psycologist at Mt. Sinai.  I do think she is doing a bit better but still needs some help.