FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391830 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1245 on: September 03, 2015, 07:50:43 AM »
I forgot to post this the other day.  We went to a neighborhood BBQ last weekend.  DS has found 2 other boys on the street that are 11 (although both are in 6th, DS is in 5th).  They hung out together at our house and riding bikes up and down the street while the adults played golf in the neighborhood.  So at the BBQ, I hear a kid's voice saying...if you eat any nuts, stay away from DS's name.  I think it was the first time I've ever heard/seen another kid looking out for DS.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1246 on: September 03, 2015, 03:25:46 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1247 on: September 09, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
Latest Allerject and FloVent refills = $0!!

Reason: I've had so many prescriptions this year that I maxed our co-pay amount.  Three ana reactions and resulting auto injector refills pushed that number over the threshold, certainly, because it's very rare for us to reach the co-pay threshold. For us, that means all our prescriptions for the rest of the year are free.  Woohoo!  In a sort of sad way, but we're on a reduced income right now, so every bit helps.

But my thoughts are with aggiedog and her post about Epipens being so expensive for her. I wish I could share my benefits with some of you. 

And really, it's heartbreaking that life-saving medications cost so much in the first place. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #1248 on: September 09, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »
Wow-- I'd say "that's great" but-- um-- yeah.

:console:

I'm glad that you're getting some relief with the expenses, but I hate how that had to happen for you. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline starlight

« Reply #1249 on: September 09, 2015, 09:28:24 PM »
Latest Allerject and FloVent refills = $0!!

Reason: I've had so many prescriptions this year that I maxed our co-pay amount. 

Me too! So exciting! I sprained my hand super bad at the beginning of the year + prescription costs now counting toward max out of pocket = all my scripts are now free. Gonna stock up on Auvi's at the end of the year even though I don't need them, just for the hell of it.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1250 on: September 17, 2015, 06:06:18 AM »
You'll never guess what I had for lunch yesterday. Ordered from a restaurant. By delivery.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1251 on: September 17, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
I actually teared up while talking with the manager. While I was at work.

It was amazing to eat a sandwich like this.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1252 on: September 17, 2015, 07:51:24 AM »
YUMMY!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1253 on: September 18, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »
Wow-- that's WONDERFUL, Mac.    :smooch:

(It looks delicious, too!)

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #1254 on: September 22, 2015, 07:13:23 AM »
4 bags of food and accoutrements plus a cooler.  I might have room for the kids  :misspeak:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1255 on: September 22, 2015, 07:43:02 AM »
LOL!  Been there.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1256 on: September 22, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
LOL here, too-- sounds like pretty much every trip anywhere, ever.

Our suitcases when we went to Europe were 1/2 shelf-stable food by volume.  {sigh}

What's especially funny about this is that people with FA's, I'm convinced, know how to pack ULTRA light-- to accommodate the food without looking freakish.  We wind up looking "typical" but what we pack...well, way different.

DD and I went away for two weeks.  We each had the equivalent of a single carry-on for our toiletries, clothes, spare shoes, and electronics.   The rest was all allergy-related. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1257 on: September 22, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »
Completely relate!!  We are packing for vacation right now.  Too much of my suitcase is full of shelf-stable food and I'm trying to cut down on clothes to maximize the amount of food I can fit.  Fingers crossed I don't get the same US customs officer as last time who threatened to deny my entry and cut up my passport for having an 'unreasonable' amount of food. Unfortunately, doctors cannot write notes saying you must bring food across the border due to food allergies, as there are legal restrictions on importing foods.  Most officials accept food under 'medical supplies', when accompanied with documentation of food allergy, but not all.  (This particular official was convinced I could easily find safe food in America.)

We pack food in all our suitcases, in case one gets lost.  Having it all in the carry-ons isn't possible due the amount of other medical supplies (8 auto injectors, 3 inhalers, spacer, antihistamines, etc.) and a DSLR camera I wouldn't trust in checked baggage.  (Not all airlines let me take on a bag of medical supplies in addition to the normal carry on.)  I also bake a huge batch of muffins to take with us to eat something 'fresh' for a day or two, since home baked goods are allowed across the border - those go in carry on as well, along with as much fresh produce we can consume before the border crossing, if we have connecting flights.

Also, on vacation I eat to survive, and don't always enjoy it.  Plain rice cooked in the hotel room microwave, mixed with some plain tinned beans and cut up vegetables isn't exactly appetizing, but it's safe.  Especially when you're in a foreign country and don't know which brands have cross contamination, good labelling, etc.  You can only eat so many instant oatmeal cups, bananas, and granola bars in two weeks.  I wonder if I am allowed to bring some seasonings across the border: salt, pepper, herbs??

(I'm wishing we never booked vacation right now... planning food away from home, in another country, is very stressful.  And half our trip will be at Disney!  Even that is stressing me out, though I know it shouldn't.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #1258 on: October 07, 2015, 07:22:29 AM »
In response to recent in-person events:  Seems that more and more I am encountering people with self-diagnosed or faux-medical-professional-diagnosed "allergies" . . . and the manner in which these people present their condition is obviously making it harder for those of us -- who have TRULY DIAGNOSED and REAL life-threatening allergies to foods or things that DO represent danger in an everyday way -- to be taken seriously.

Need a bonking wand these days.

:bonking:

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1259 on: October 07, 2015, 07:26:08 AM »
Make that a double bonking wand!