FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391978 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1365 on: May 26, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »
Wow!!  That's awesome.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline starlight

« Reply #1366 on: May 29, 2016, 08:12:12 PM »
When your friends are all at a birthday party at a place you're afraid to eat or drink at due to yelp reviews of their bad handling of peanut allergies, but you shower and dress anyway because it's a super popular place that you're sure 10-15 people won't be able to get into on a Sunday and they'll just move on someplace else, and they get in and decide it's super popular for a reason and that they're just going to stay there all night.

:'(

ETA: and you asked a friend to take pics of the glassware because it's a tiki bar and she texts you to tell you she took a picture for you of the whole group with their drinks.  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:15:34 PM by starlight »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #1367 on: May 29, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »
:console:  I'm so sorry, starlight. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1368 on: May 29, 2016, 09:53:05 PM »
 :grouphug:
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline starlight

« Reply #1369 on: May 29, 2016, 11:16:16 PM »
They did finally move on. :happydance:  Thanks guys.  :grouphug:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1370 on: May 29, 2016, 11:22:19 PM »
I'm sorry starlight.

:console:

I used to go to a tiki bar dive in Hyde Park: Jimmy's. It was not wonderful. I'm hoping you didn't miss much

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1371 on: May 30, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »
Since I cannot find safe brown rice flour or white rice flour in the stores, I spent my afternoon making my own: rice + Vitamix high speed blender, then sift through a very fine sieve.  It takes a while but I am hoping it will be sufficient for the recipes I want to try.

Now I am curious to find other flours that can be made this way... (I make oat flour often but haven't tried making other flours.). This could open a whole new world of recipes. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1372 on: June 01, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
I thought we were done with the whole sports/snack issue.  DD had softball practice - she has been running all day - she got home from school at 4, we let for dance at 4:15, stopped home at 5:30 for 10 minutes to grab a quick meal and ran to softball (so she is tired).  After practice they sang happy birthday to a team member and then it was announced that there were cupcakes in the dugout.  9-10 year olds.  Thank goodness I had some at home so when DD looked sad and defeated, DH reminded her that she could have one when she gets home.  She was good with that BUT I am annoyed and I am sad bc I saw her initial disappointment.  If we didn't have that to offer, I could see her melting down bc she was so tired.  Sometimes it just sucks.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1373 on: June 01, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »

Yes, it does suck. And we haven't found that it actually ends (said by a person whose son is about to graduate).

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1374 on: June 02, 2016, 07:50:32 AM »

Yes, it does suck. And we haven't found that it actually ends (said by a person whose son is about to graduate).

That stinks, Mac.  You know most days we go with the flow but yesterday just rubbed me the wrong way.  Maybe its PMS.  DD was totally fine to have a cupcake at home but had I known about the darn cupcakes I could have brought one and she could have socialized with her teammates.  Her pizza challenge is 3 weeks from today.  It would be so amazing if she passed.  Trying not to get my hopes up...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1375 on: June 02, 2016, 08:01:34 AM »
I hope that it's a pass! 

Offline MamaBear

« Reply #1376 on: June 08, 2016, 01:59:50 PM »
Hello! I'm happy to have found this thread and am hoping this is the correct place for my post. I have 2 children (DD and DS), DS has multiple food allergies, environmental allergies, and eczema. DD and I have OAS and outdoor allergies. DS is 14 months old and is allergic to eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, dogs, cats, and dust mites. Learning to navigate through the food allergies is overwhelming. I spent most of my morning today on the phone with food manufacturers, trying to determine which ones are safe for my little guy to eat. It is challenging to find things he likes that he can have. He recently reacted to DiGorno (sp?) frozen pizza. Come to find out it is made in shared lines with egg products. We also struggle to keep his eczema at bay. Any advice and/ or pointers is much appreciated!!
DS- eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, environmental, and eczema

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1377 on: June 08, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
Hi MamaBear!  Welcome!

Spend some time searching our specific forums, there is lots of info.

Ask pointed questions and we will chime in.

My DD also has multiple food allergies, environmental allergice,  OAS, eczema and asthma.  She was a mess at first way back as a toddler.  Lots of years learning, reading, and conversing with many people here. 

Now at age 16 she is fairly independent, has beautiful skin, and very well controlled asthma!

Lots of advice and pointers to share, enough to write a book!  Many others here with years of experiences and knowledge to share too!

Offline Puddles

« Reply #1378 on: June 08, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
Living with Food Allergies lead to wonderful (not) e-mail responses like this.

Hi XXxxx

Thank you for writing.  The recall

Thanks again for reaching out to us! We value your loyalty and hope you'll continue to enjoy products from <company name>.

Best regards,

XXxxxx
Consumer Relations

I had contacted them to find out if a recall affected products sold in my country. I also asked about other products which may run on the same equipment, and what other products use the contaminated flour.

Clear as mud!

Offline MamaBear

« Reply #1379 on: June 08, 2016, 09:19:53 PM »
Thank you, PurpleCat! And, Puddles, I have been experiencing similar answers with some companies as well. Some have been very helpful and clear though. I just wish all the labeling was the same and included may contain statements across the board.
DS- eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, environmental, and eczema