login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 385225 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline SilverLining

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1530 on: April 06, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »
How odd!

I just went to their website to see if they specified how think of clothing you could inject through, (I didn't find an answer, just that you can inject through clothing.

But...I did find this,

http://epipen.ca/en/about-epipen/how-to-use

They are back to "swing and jab"? Was "hold and press" not working?

hummmmmmm.....could this have something to do with the recall?  "a defective part that may result in the devices’ failure to activate"

I don't think so.

It would mean someone is really on top of things (not an impression I get from the company otherwise).  And defective is defective.

But I always thought the swing resulted in unnecessary bruising, as well as the risk that the patient wriggles and you can inject wrong place or even wrong person.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1531 on: April 06, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
Denim is about 1mm thick. My wetsuit is a 5:4, meaning 5mm on the torso and 4mm on the joints and lower limbs. Granted, I have an athletic body (leaner than average) even though I carry more fat on my thighs.

I think the jab helps the needle go deeper, especially when needle length may be a concern. I think I read somewhere that injecting into fat still works, just less efficient and slower to work than into muscle directly. Don't hold me to that fact though.

You could contact the company to see if they know. I find they respond through their Facebook page.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1532 on: April 12, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »
Interesting, dental hygienist came out to get DS for his appt and asked about allergies.  I said he is still allergic to tree nuts.  She said then they will do the floride foam, not the varnish because "the varnish is related to pine trees so therefore pine nuts".  I just said ok, didn't want to get in a debate. First time they have ever said anything.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1533 on: April 12, 2017, 04:28:33 PM »
The rinse and varnish both make me vomit for several hours... Now whether that is a pine nut cross reactivity or not who knows, but my bets are on another ingredient/allergen causing it. No more fluoride at the dentist for me; I have a special fluoride toothpaste now.

My note of the day: there needs to be some sort of course for avid bakers who have to remove wheat from the pantry.  I used to bake frequently (almost daily) for stress relief and now baking is causing me additional stress.  My baking used to be better than most bakeries (per friends and relatives) and now it is awful.  If anyone has any links to some sort of GF baking 101 it would be appreciated.  Bonus points if they don't rely heavily on potato or sorghum like almost every tutorial I have seen does.  (Also forbidden ingredients.)

And then... The neighbour was baking fresh bread and I could smell it from my terrace. What I would give to have fresh made bread right now.  You know, if it didn't make my throat swell shut.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1534 on: April 12, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
SC, I bake gluten free for 2 friends quite often.  Gluten is not an allergen in my home but I learned to bake for my friends.  PM what kinds of things you are trying to bake and I will offer what I have learned and what tricks I use.

I will say if you want bread, I gave up on that.  My bread machine is not conducive to gluten free baking (the cycles are wrongly timed) and from what I have learned a hefty stand mixer is a better choice.  I don't make gluten free bread.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1535 on: April 18, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »
The kids had their annual allergist appointment yesterday.  DD's skin tests looked about the same or a bit smaller than last year.  Cat went down for sure.  The allergist said she will not challenge her for awhile.  Its because she convinces herself she is having reactions.
DS's milk was larger than egg and the egg was almost negative.  Its so weird since DS eats pizza all the time.  She wants to do baked egg again.  Thats the one he failed last summer - stomach ache and then trouble swallowing.  I guess we will see what the blood test results say.  She also wants him to try baked mac and cheese.  She told us that a year ago but DH never gave it to him.  I am way to anxious to do it.  DS said he didn't want to do baked egg again but when we told him all the things he might be able to try he changed his mind....

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1536 on: April 18, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
It's tough Mary. 

DD has always decided when she wanted to challenge.  It's a big scary risk for them and a huge disappointment if they fail.

We have DD's cashew challenge tomorrow morning.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1537 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »
Good luck tomorrow, PC!

DS really wants to kick the milk allergy and has been having success with that.  BUT being able to add baked egg would make a big difference.  He seems on board and its totally up to him.  I am hoping DS does the baked mac and cheese with him in 2 weeks when I am out of town....I am such a coward  :hiding:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1538 on: April 18, 2017, 12:26:40 PM »
I would really like a company to make prepackaged sunbutter sandwich crackers!

Mr. Barlow

« Reply #1539 on: April 18, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
I'm in the market for wall-mounted EAI holders like Epi-Ready.  Epi-Ready seems to be discontinued?  If anyone knows of such a product please post here.  Quality and reliability more important than price.  And yes, I've already looked at Amazon, quickie Google search.  I must not be using the right search string.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1540 on: April 18, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »
My first thought was one of those wall mounted dry erase marker clip holders like this:

But then I found this (or one of the other choices on his website) that would probably work better...
https://www.allergyemergencykit.com/product.asp_Q_catID_E_80_A_subCatID_E_137

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline nyguy

« Reply #1541 on: April 25, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
Went to the allergist today. All scratch kin tests were completely negative on the food front and they tested a ton of things between food and environmental. I haven't taken an antihistamine or a product containing an antihistamine (sleep aids, decongestants, painkillers that bundle it as a sleep aid, etc.) in over a month. We'll have to see what the blood test results show and go from there... [etc. etc.]

Blood was totally negative for any food related allergyand now I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm content to do a basic challenge, continue carrying epinephrine, and then not eat the foods directly but eat baked goods with small amounts of eggs and eat foods cooked on shared surfaces/oil/etc...

My poor mother is in a panic though. After the incident in my childhood (negative test for eggs, 7-8 IgE + massive hives two and a half months later) I can't say I blame her. My travel patterns aren't exactly fortuitous for being adventurous in my diet. Mother's concern is around having lowered my immune response by strictly avoiding eggs/seafood for so long and maybe rarely being accidentally exposed to minor amounts of cross contamination, and that further exposure via cross contamination on a regular basis might lead to an increased immune response. I can't say I entirely disagree with that, although new allergist is not concerned, she is content to let me work at my own pace.

Also, noticed twin brother's bag was open today and saw EpiPen (surprised he wasn't carrying Auvi-Q). Expired mid-2013. Gave him a bit of a hard time over carrying 3+ year expired lifesaving medication...

Currently at a hotel bar working off of some liquid bread. (I'll get dinner eventually here, but sadly Sam Adams sometimes serves as a meal substitute at certain airport restaurants with small kitchens... due to cross contamination issues I've elaborated on earlier in this thread).

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1542 on: April 26, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »
You can skin and blood test negative to a food you are allergic to.  It is rare, but it happens.  (My mother and I are part of that minority for some of our allergens.)  Be sure to ask about an in office food challenge and incorporating baked egg into your diet if your allergist thinks it is safe to do so. What a crazy allergy roller coaster of uncertainty for you,  I hope it all goes well.

And good job at hounding your brother.  The good news is that he HAD an EpiPen when so many people don't carry one at all.  But yeah, three years out of date may not be much help in an emergency.  Here's hoping he refills his prescription ASAP. (And will now carry two!)

Mr. Barlow

« Reply #1543 on: April 26, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
What about the control and negative?  Baked egg is a very reasonable goal.  There's enough consistent reproduced results that point to high heat labile proteins not recognized by the body as their 3D whole counterparts are.  It would be a good bang for buck addition given how much you travel, and strong evidence it can lead to increased tolerance.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1544 on: April 27, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »
I went out for dinner with my running group last night!  I didn't eat anything but I wanted to comment on how understanding and supportive that group of people are.  It didn't matter that I didn't eat anything.  Nobody questioned me or asked me any awkward questions.  We all had a great time.

During our post-run workout (before dinner) someone saw a peanut on the ground and let the group know because they thought they heard someone was allergic.  I avoided that spot and was able to educate a curious runner who didn't realize that peanuts or peanut shells on the ground could be a hazard.  He was grateful that I told him so he could warn me of hazards in the future.  Just so friendly and supportive.

I wish everyone everywhere could be so nice and understanding.  I am feeling quite teary about it, in a good way.  I really lucked out with this run group, for many reasons.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:08:51 AM by spacecanada »