Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 127255 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1620 on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »
Space, practice self care and do what's right for you!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Online spacecanada

« Reply #1621 on: October 06, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
I had a long chat last night with my best friend, who will be there with me - it really helped.  Having a support network is essential. 

In the airport now...
anaphylaxis to tree nuts, peanuts, and potatoes; severe dairy intolerance; vegan (preference)
family members allergic to dairy, egg, peanut, sesame, shellfish

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1622 on: October 06, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
Enjoy the rest of your travels, SC.  I'm so glad your friend is there to support you through this!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1623 on: October 06, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
 :grouphug:

Online spacecanada

« Reply #1624 on: Today at 02:44:30 PM »
'Certified Gluten-Free' doesn't mean a wheat-free facility.  Nope.  Every label, every time.  And call manufacturers often.  My husband just bought cereal that was certified gluten-free but made in a facility with wheat, soy, dairy, tree nuts, and sesame.  It's for him, but the legal caught my eye.  I could see some wheat-free families getting caught by this if they think everything with the certification is safe.
http://www.gfco.org/get-certified/faqs/

We just stopped using Natura soy milk because my last call and email (this summer) resulted in news that they would be adding almond to their facility soon, with shared lines.  Whilst I was away last week my husband called me to say one of his containers of soy milk tasted distinctly of almonds.  Phew, dodged that bullet... but the fact manufacturers don't have to disclose that manufacturing change on labels is disturbing.  (Same thing happened with the brand of popcorn we used to buy for years and years too.)
anaphylaxis to tree nuts, peanuts, and potatoes; severe dairy intolerance; vegan (preference)
family members allergic to dairy, egg, peanut, sesame, shellfish