login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384756 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1635 on: December 11, 2017, 05:57:20 PM »
Awesome story.  Someone gets it!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Ciel

« Reply #1636 on: December 11, 2017, 06:30:36 PM »
Wonderful teacher!

Your dd sounds pretty wonderful too.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1637 on: December 12, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »
Wow. That is great. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1638 on: December 12, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
Awesome!

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1639 on: December 27, 2017, 10:02:20 PM »
Went to a cookie swap in the neighborhood tonight, it was all fun and games until one of my neighbors ate a cookie with nuts in it...looked like a shortbread cookie but obviously wasn't.  She knew immediately that she was having a reaction and decided to leave.  As she was putting her shoes on, she was starting to do the classic clearing of the throat sound.  She insisted on driving her own car home, about 1/2 a block.  One neighbor jumped in her car with her, I drove behind her...her husband was home, I didn't have my purse with me since I was just down the block and no DS with me.  She said she was going home to take benadryl...I wanted to argue with her that wasn't the best choice, but she is an adult.  I don't know if they keep epi pens in the house.  The neighbor who rode with her said by the time they got there that she could barely talk.  I will send her an email tonight.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1640 on: December 28, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »
Did anyone know about her allergy?

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1641 on: December 28, 2017, 12:46:28 PM »
Yes, I think some of the neighbors do.  I found out this summer because she didn't know about DS's until sometime this summer, but I know their comfort zone is much more relaxed than ours.

Online spacecanada

« Reply #1642 on: December 29, 2017, 05:19:53 AM »
How scary! How is she today?  I hope she had Epi and a trip to the ED, not that I ever wish that on anyone, but the alternative is worse.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1643 on: January 09, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »
N.E. US

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1644 on: January 09, 2018, 06:36:40 PM »
Sigh - my anxiety is getting the best of me.  I used to use Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili kit as a starter for my chili.  It was part of the great cumin recall a few years ago.  I just bought a package and some beans (which I have never had an issue with but haven't eaten in a few years) and I am too anxious about the recall/having a reaction to us it or the beans.  I think I will just buy some McCormick Chili powder and use their cumin and figure out how to make a similar spice blend.  The only reason I am nervous about the beans is bc its been a few years since I have had kidney or small white beans.  I have eaten black beans somewhat regularly. 

Am I the only one who is not keen on using products that have been recalled?  I have eaten a Rold Gold pretzel in years.  I may just return the kit...

Online spacecanada

« Reply #1645 on: January 09, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »
You're not alone Mary.  I still have cumin and paprika on my chef cards as prohibited foods for that same reason.  As for the beans - did you have a questionable experience or reaction to beans in the past? 

Sometimes that anxiety is there for a reason - your gut just keeping you safe.  McCormick makes some spice mixes too that you could try; I wonder if they have a chilli one? 

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1646 on: January 09, 2018, 07:13:40 PM »
Thanks, space.  The bean thing is totally irrational - I have eaten many types of beans for years with no issue.  I just haven't had them in awhile.  The store was sold out of McCormick Chili powder today :(.  I know their cumin was not part of the recall.  I have some of that.

Online spacecanada

« Reply #1647 on: January 09, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »
 :grouphug: Mary.  I totally get it; it happens to me too.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1648 on: January 10, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »
DS had a routine appt with allergist today.  She told him a story of a patient going to a friend's house without his epi pen and having a reaction, don't know the details but basically rushed kid home for his epi pen and everything turned out fine...she then asked DS if he knew where is epi pen was.  He said yes, and patted his pocket. 

I told her about my experience with my neighbor...she said sounds like she is in denial.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1649 on: January 10, 2018, 07:57:25 PM »
I’m having major anxiety b/c DS and his girlfriend are going away this weekend with a large group of friends. They have rented a vacation home in a tiny town that is a minimum of 45 minutes away from the nearest hospital ( and that is under dry road conditions, which they are not likely to have).   They did this last year in a different location, and a local business catered the whole weekend. They are doing the same type of thing this year.

DS is very confident that everything will be safe, and his friends even ordered a birthday cake for him from a nut-free bakery. (Why a 24 year old would prefer the company of his girlfriend and friends over his parents on his birthday, I have no idea.  :tongue:). Of course, I am not nearly as confident. I made him get 2 more Epi refills. 

My anxiety about this trip has been mounting since he told me about it 3 weeks ago. Now that it is here, I am freaking out.  And depressed.  Why does it have to be this way?  I can’t stand the constant background noise of anxiety; and then when there is a departure from routine my anxiety just spirals. And the fact that he really isn’t as careful as he should be makes it worse.

I suggested he bring safe food, which resulted in a withering glare. What’s a mother to do?

N.E. US