imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384715 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1680 on: June 13, 2018, 08:41:47 AM »
Since she tried, what I would do is eat beforehand and fake it at the wedding. Or mostly fake it and have one or two things that would be very unlikely to be XC.

But it’s very cool she thought of you and cool that you’ll be able to contact the company.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1681 on: June 13, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »
At a bd-party she brought cupcakes that she said were a peanut/nutfree bakery. And she actually said “I know you might not feel safe without contacting them yourself”.

Absolutely awesome family. So, I’m really hoping I feel safe with them after contacting myself.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1682 on: June 14, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
That’s awsome!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1683 on: June 18, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »
I don’t need the contact info.

Was speaking to the bride today. She said she was talking to the caterer on the weekend, asked a few questions and said she didn’t think it was safe for me.

The buns they buy do not have sesame seeds. And the bride knows that means nothing.  The bride actually buys buns from the same bakery and knows they do have products with sesame seeds. However, it is completely fine for me to bring my own food.

I’m fine with this. I do not want someone attempting to be sesame free. They think they get it....but they don’t. Rather than feeling upset or let down.....I felt relief.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:30:51 PM by SilverLining »

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1684 on: June 19, 2018, 05:43:26 AM »
The place my sister and I went for a pedicure yesterday asks if you have any nut allergies before they use their finishing spray (some sort of almond oil spray).

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1685 on: June 19, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »
I'm with you, SL.  Much easier on everyone.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1686 on: June 19, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »
The place my sister and I went for a pedicure yesterday asks if you have any nut allergies before they use their finishing spray (some sort of almond oil spray).

Our nail salon uses this unless DD is in the room.  Then they don't allow anyone to spray it unless they go outside.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1687 on: June 22, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »
I sent an email to check safety of some maple syrup products. Their website does not list ingredients, so I wanted to know if their packaging listed “may contain” when there is a risk of cross contamination. They responded that some of them do. And I could call to get information on specific products and they would attempt to get the information for me.

Attempt? Attempt? <gives head a shake>

I responded that calling every time for every product is unreasonable and has proven untrustworthy in the past.

She responded that I should stick with products with the warning. You know....the products that actually tell me they are unsafe.

Thanks...but....I’ll stick with L.B.Maple. Harder to find but peanut free.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1688 on: June 22, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »
^^ Why does this all have to be so bloody difficult?  :banghead:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1689 on: June 22, 2018, 01:56:07 PM »
Oh my goodness, ridiculous!  I hear stuff like this far too often, making trying anything new just not worth it most of the time.

We use LB Maple whenever possible, too - they've been good with allergy labelling and service -- and their maple butter tastes like magic.  (PC and Western Family have been good to us with allergy information as well.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1690 on: June 23, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
When I find new safe foods, I binge on them for a week or two.  With the way my allergies and manufacturers change over time, those foods be not safe in the future.  Enjoy them now, while it lasts!

It might be time for a salad this weekend.  ;) 

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1691 on: June 23, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
Family members are in town.  They are insisting on taking us out for dinner, to which I refuse because every place we have called since moving hasn't been able to accommodate me, and the last place a I thought I could trust sent me to hospital.  And so, to propose an alternate, I actually called to ask about a float plane courier bringing over Chipotle for dinner.  Hahaha... Seriously! 

It actually isn't that expensive; if we don't do it now, we may do it for a special occasion some day.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1692 on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »
Space did you order the Chipotle?

~~~~

I’m posting here because I’m an idiot. (But it explains why when I babysit I insist babies and toddlers stick to peanut/sesame free while in my care.)

When we went to meet dil at the hospital Saturday, she wanted milk and donuts. I brought milk from home and we stopped and picked up a small box of Timbits on the way. I handed her one and she wolfed it down. Handed her a second one and my fingers got sticky so I did the normal thing and licked the sugar off before grabbing a wet one. :misspeak:

“Sh*t, that was stupid.....oh well. At least I’m in the right place to have a reaction.” DIL actually laughed when I said that. (Not at me...just at the situation.) She suggested I take benedryl just in case. I opted not to. I figured I was better off having the reaction while I’m in the ER rather than masking it and getting it worse at home.

Anyway, no reaction. But what a stupid thing to do.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1693 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
It's tonight.  I may jokingly recommend it, but in reality I will probably go home whilst everyone else eats out.  I am stressed beyond a healthy amount right now because of it.  These relatives don't eat quick service food; they dine at fancy restaurants every night.   The Keg is considered low end to them.  The two places they recommended have told me they cannot guarantee a safe meal and recommend I not dine there.  My allergies are just too limiting, I think.   Even at Disney I cannot eat anything from quick service locations - except one place in Pandora, I think.  (I still have to check ingredients.)

Oh, I am glad you are ok, SL!  I have done similarly absent minded behaviours too. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1694 on: July 08, 2018, 07:21:16 AM »
We went to a Blue Jays game yesterday. Before the game even started some guy who seemed drunk started throwing peanuts at people. I tried to text guest services, since the person watching that area was ignoring it, but I was shaking so bad I texted the wrong number. Some random person got the text.  :hiding:

Of course being hit with peanuts resulted in a lot of people saying “I need peanuts” and suddenly they were all around me.  I left. We had really good seats too.

It was packed in there too. Lots of Yankee fans. So I couldn’t just go sit in different seats.

I went to the gate where people can upgrade tickets and explained my situation. They got me seats in a similar spot.

Fortunately, though there were a few people eating peanuts none were right close to me none were throwing them around.