FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 393412 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
DS1 has never had a cute cake.  Ice cream sundaes, popsicles, Enjoy Life cookies with dollops of icing.

He knows my limitations and never complains.  It makes me love him all the more.

(Which I really needed to remember today since DH told me my meatloaf tasted like poo due to his "diet" restrictions).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2013, 07:55:30 AM »
Today.  I feel like there's a giant target on my back....and instead of darts, I'm getting hit with guilt.

Ya!  This is fun for me too. 

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »
Need to remind myself to go back to Whole Foods and buy some Ataulfo mangoes and prepare and freeze them so son could use for possible food challenge this summer.

So much yummier than the other mangoes . . . but am also wondering if I should get some of both varieties so he can food challenge both?

Hmmmm . . . might not be bad idea.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »
While cleaning my kitchen this morning, I suddenly realized that with food allergies in our lives, we have the following situation--

"safe breakfast" always means that somebody isn't sleeping in.

Hot fresh bread?  Means that someone has been up FOR HOURS. 

Meh.

On the other hand, I'm also pretty convinced that most people don't actually understand what I mean by 'hot, fresh bread.'  So maybe that's okay.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
One of my friends sent me a wonderful Mother's Day gift. A really beautiful, too-expensive-she-shouldn't-have box of nuts delivered to my house. Good thing I had DH open it outside.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
I refused to purchase my avid bookworm of a DD a book today.  A promising-looking book about social/cultural constructivism, actually-- which I initially was perfectly happy to get her.

Why?

It was THIS book.

Those who have been around a while will no doubt recognize this author's name and claim to 'fame' (well, okay, infamy is more like it).

I explained why with a message with the subject line:  Why no book by Christakis will ever darken my door

and explained that some things never die.  Hatred borne of righteous anger.  Evil.  That sort of thing.  This is both, obviously.

Gosh, that still makes my blood boil and it's been YEARS. 

I also went on (probably in a fit of pettiness, it's true) to explain why people who aren't actually smart enough to get MD's and PhD's...( er.... and truth be told, most people in med schools and grad programs would argue that this particular linkage is incorrect, as that should be "or" LOL) are the only ones that think that an MD/PhD program is "better" than one or the other.  Nobody else is much fooled by them, and they make both lousy researchers AND lousy clinicians, because the programs are effectively watered down versions of both things, and not really good for much but producing mediocrity to begin with.   :evil:

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »
I'm sick.  I want soup.  And I don't want to have to make it.

Prepared soup does not exist for the soy-allergic, for the most part.  And it definitely does not exist and the grocery store that is close to my house.  And it kind of defeats the purpose if I have to make a special trip to a different store.

It probably doesn't help that what I really want is Campbell's chicken and stars, the sick food of my childhood (and I was sick a lot).  Never going to happen.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
Hugs Janelle  :grouphug:  I so understand that problem, I truly do.

I wish I knew a way to mail safe soup to you :(
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2013, 04:46:34 PM »
Stuff like 37 tons crab meat dumped on Utah freeway
used to just strike me as funny and peculiar.

Now, not-so-much.

More like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »
I treat milk trucks on the highway with the same respect (and stopping distance) as I do fuel trucks. Someone spilled beer at Target and we had to decide real quick whether that much hops and barley in the air or on the floor was going to be a problem.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
Three ice cream parties, cupcakes out the wazoo, more candy.

Why do I send my kids to school?  And yeah, that is just next week to celebrate the last days of school  :insane:
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
I think we might have you beat YKW.  Notice came home saying there were 5 May birthdays and 6 summer birthdays to be celebrated before the end of school.  The notice came out with 22 days left which mean if everyone signed up (I told the teacher we were not participating), there would be a treat every other day.  This does not include the popsicle they were given for doing a good job in the 2nd grade musical.  It also doesn't involve the popsicle to be given out for field day as well as one for the 2nd grade round up day (which is essentially a repeat of field day for only 2nd graders).  Unbelievable...here's a math problem for you...How much junk food can the school cram into my child before the end of school?

I can't wait for it to be over

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »
I was thinking of you Hezz.  That is just so unbelievable. So unbelievable.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
For the past several months I've been grocery shopping like other people do; trying something new if it looks interesting, putting things in my cart as if on autopilot.

DS returns from college tonight, and this week's shopping was back to label checking, not buying the kind of bread I like, and being angry about how much stuff is made on shared equipment.  :tongue:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »
humour is different when you have allergies.

I was flipping through news stations.  HLN was showing a short clip "The Human Factor" it was about the twins Evan and Erik that invented the Auvi-Q.

Why did it make me laugh?  because it was brought to you by Honey Nut Cheerios.    :dunno: