FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391308 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline krasota

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »
Why did it make me laugh?  because it was brought to you by Honey Nut Cheerios.    :dunno:

I'd've laughed, too.

I laughed upon reading the ingredients of the purportedly Sensitive Skin hypoallergenic formulation of Neutrogena's sunblock  . . . and not because it had a half dozen ingredients that give me eczema or hives.  No, I laughed because two of the top three inactive ingredients were arachidyl alcohol and arachidyl glucoside.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »
Lol.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
Why did it make me laugh?  because it was brought to you by Honey Nut Cheerios.    :dunno:

I'd've laughed, too.

I laughed upon reading the ingredients of the purportedly Sensitive Skin hypoallergenic formulation of Neutrogena's sunblock  . . . and not because it had a half dozen ingredients that give me eczema or hives.  No, I laughed because two of the top three inactive ingredients were arachidyl alcohol and arachidyl glucoside.

yes!  just had that headbanging conversation at whole body tonight.  my regular guy wasn't there.  the woman who was working was pushy, zero listening skills.  I said i needed something with no nut or tree nut ingredients, along with a handful of fruits.  she first said putting on skin no problem.  i regroup with her and say it is a problem. 
then, everything she gave me was "hypoallergenic" um except for the almond oil, the shea butter, the macadamia nut oils the, black walnut hulls.  OMG.  I finally told her I'd fend for myself.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
Please do not tell me your child has severe food allergies and does not require an epinephrine autoinjector and expect me to take them to camp.  I'm trying to educate, but I'm also freaking out because ultimately this child will be my responsibility for a weekend. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »
My son today (after I made a safe version, rolled in crushed pretzels):  What's a cheeseball?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »
After youngest's latest yet again reaction out of seemingly nowhere, possibly heat from exercise or jumping around, wondering if it's time to start the conversation with doc about Xolaire. Have we reached that point? Are we heading there?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
Talk to RC about Xolair. 

I took it for a while. Man, you can feel that stuff go into your arm.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »
Today I discovered that my local grocery store does in fact carry my favorite variety of safe sandwich buns.  I had been driving all the way across town (like 45 minutes round trip, at least) to buy them.

Why have I not found them yet?  Because they aren't in the bread aisle, where there are other sandwich buns by the same manufacturer, and where, you know, it would make sense to put them.  Instead, they are on a small, low shelf in front of the deli case.  Where I never go, because I can't buy deli sliced products.  Saw them by total chance.  Arg.

But at least I know where to get them now. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Janelle, which buns are these?  And which allergens are they free of?  With the disappearance of Wonder, we're having a bit of a bun crisis.  I'll have to post about it in Manufacturers.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
I use the Pepperidge Farm onion buns, which are way, way better than any other commercially made onion bun (smaller, more flavor). 

I do not avoid peanuts or tree nuts.  They work for my egg and soy allergies, but do have soy oil and lecithin, and my egg tolerance is pretty high.  They also have poppy seeds, so would probably be a no-go for anyone with seed allergies.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »
I've never seen the onion buns, I'll have to check them out.  Their regular buns list sesame as an ingredient, so these might too, but you never know.

Thanks!
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »
GN - I just checked them, and they have sesame as an ingredient.  Sorry.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »
Gah! 

Thanks anyway Janelle!
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »
A volunteer fed peanuts to the birds at work yesterday.  Not knowing this (because the staff know the animal food has to be TN/PN-free), when I picked up the bird I got hives all over my arm and neck.  Major sinus headache too.  We've now posted a sign in the room.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2013, 01:42:05 PM »
Ugh.

Today: ants.

For the last couple of days we've seen tiny black ants in the kitchen. I want to get rid of them. I bought some ant traps. Yes, I know they have PB in them.  But ugh.  When I opened them up last night WHOOOSH came a strong peanut smell. Ick. 

The ants were going close to the pantry this morning, so I created a wall of cinnamon that they won't cross.  It will keep them in the area where the traps are.  At first I could only find teh good Penzey's cinnamon, but DH pulled out the giant container of cheap cinnamon. I don't like cinnamon--didn't know we had an el cheapo brand.