FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Who is "Food Allergy Foundation"  (Read 10994 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Who is "Food Allergy Foundation"
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
http://foodallergyfoundation.org/contact_us

No names that I see at website so far as humans . . . unless I missed them.

25050 Riding Plaza

Suite 130-135

South Riding, VA 20152

(202) 540-0860

Copyright 2011 Food Allergy Foundation. All rights reserved. A 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization. EIN 45-3703018

The Food Allergy Foundation (FAF™)   25050 Riding Plaza, Suite 130-135   South Riding, VA 20152   (202) 540-0860

info@foodallergyfoundation.org    www.foodallergyfoundation.org

Is this a splintered portion of FAAN in some way?  Other?  Anyone have reliable info?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: Who is "Food Allergy Foundation"
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
OK, further sleuthing gets this from Facebook:

Jon Gonzalez:

Food Allergy Foundation

C.E.O. · Washington, District of Columbia · May 2011 to present

The Food Allergy Foundation (FAF™) is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to helping families, individuals and children with food allergies. We are the "louder voice" in the food allergy community focusing our efforts on funding food allergy support groups, education, awareness, advocacy and research across the country and around the globe. We invite you to help us help others...

more on him:

United States Charity Fundraising

President/CEO · Washington, District of Columbia · Mar 2008 to present

Founded United States Charity Fundraising to address the growing needs of large, medium, small and new charities, non profit organizations, families and individuals across the country in need of financial support from their communities. From Boston to Florida, Dallas to Chicago, to San Francisco and Napa Valley, offering a comprehensive array of services including writing and evaluating foundation, corporate and government grant proposals, assisting local charitable organizations in securing corporate sponsorships and individual donations as well as instituting planned giving programs. Providing on-location and on-line employee and volunteer training and coaching services custom-tailored to meet specific targeted goals. Assisting charities in creating major donor profiles through personalized solicitation. Creating and implementing multi-tiered marketing strategies designed for immediate and lasting impact. Delivering quality consulting and planning tools including Board of Director

and then this:
Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network

Chief Development Officer · Jan 2011 to Jun 2011

The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) was established in 1991. Anne Muñoz-Furlong founded the organization after her daughter was diagnosed with milk and egg allergy as an infant. She discovered that information vital to raising a child with food allergies was not widely available.

FAAN’s membership now stands at approximately 25,000 worldwide and includes families, dietitians, nurses, physicians, school staff, and representatives from government agencies and the food and pharmaceutical industries. FAAN serves as the communication link between the patient and others.

FAAN is funded through membership dues, sale of materials, donations, and grants.

FANN LA Gala

Feb 2011 to present
FAAN will be holding its first ever Los Angeles Honors Gala. The gala will be a cocktail attire event and include entertainment and awards. The Master of Ceremonies will be: Frank Dicopoulos, Actor, FAAN Ambassador Who Cares. Entertainment will include performances by: Charice - "Glee" Guest Star, The Backbeats - "The Sing-Off" Finalists, Luke Pilgrim - Singer, Songwriter. Thursday, February 10, 2011, 6:00 PM - 10:30 PM, The El Rey Theatre, 5515 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036 - http://www.foodallergywalk.org/site/Calendar?id=100261&view=Detail

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:28:18 PM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »
The guy who started this foundation used to work for FAAN.

I asked him for financials. He opted not to provide them.

That's all I'm gonna say. Caveat emptor.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
That's all I'm gonna say.

Except to add that he's in the running for a Bitchie Award.  ;D
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:37:44 PM »

Well.  THAT certainly makes following the money a bigger challenge, now doesn't it?   :bonking: :watch:

What exactly does this organization DO, again?  Other than raise monies, I mean.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
Sorry, but if they are a 501(c)(3) their 990s are public. Now their revenue may be less than the threshold ($250k I'm thinking off the top of my head) they don't have to file a 990.

990s can be found through Charity Navigator and Guidestar.

He was FAAN's head Development officer and he is refusing to give financials? That's just dumb. Note: this does not reflect poorly on FARE necessarily.

Okay--found them on Guidestar. No 990, no financials (my NPO'sbarebthere, for example). However, it seems from what you posted it could be newly formed, so they may not have an audited annual financial statement yet (which is what I send someone if they want to see our financials--and an annual report.  But they are on our website, too). 

I do see on Guidestar FAF is required to file a 990. But again it may be too early.

But a louder voice--a good thing in general, yes?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
Suppose that depends on what that louder voice is saying, to be honest.

Some people I'd like to put a muzzle on, quite frankly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:20:41 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
I read that as a group that doesn't think FAAN was doing enough advocacy work.

Sound familiar? :)

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
I believe newly founded -- sometime last year (also judging by timeline) -- looks like with the announcement of FAI and FAAN merger he may have been out of job at that point?

SOoooooo . . . I cannot find any "work" or much posting by/about Food Allergy Foundation.

Hmmmm . . .

Thanks, boo, for the "nope-to-financials" tip.   :smooch:

Edited to add:  other related website (there's more -- linkedin was helpful)

http://dccharityevents.com/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:00:21 PM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
And I've also seen this 2/4/2013 mention of him on the web:

Great to see the leadership of AAFA (Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America), KFA (Kids With Food Allergies), FAF (Food Allergy Foundation), and FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education, formerly FAAN) all in a single 2-day trip to DC! Rest assured food allergy community that we have some amazing individuals and organizations working tirelessly on our behalf!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
This is one of the more intriguing things about this organization--

Our efforts include providing support and emergency financial assistance to families coping with life-threatening food allergies as they struggle with devastating budget issues.

To whatever extent this is true, that DOES make this organization somewhat unique.  It also means that transparency collides with privacy, which is also interesting from a functional legal perspective.

I'm intrigued, however.

(If you check out their website, they DO have a 'donation' mechanism and a specific child/family for whom donations are evidently earmarked, in addition to other fundraising-- apparently this effort is not only for traditional anaphylaxis support, but also for eosinophilic disorders, judging from the description.)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:44:14 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
I'll be interested to learn more as the .org ages and paperwork is filed such that it is viewable . . .

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
This is one of the more intriguing things about this organization--

Our efforts include providing support and emergency financial assistance to families coping with life-threatening food allergies as they struggle with devastating budget issues.

To whatever extent this is true, that DOES make this organization somewhat unique.  It also means that transparency collides with privacy, which is also interesting from a functional legal perspective.

Not necessarily. No financials of an NPO will give you the minutia of where money was spent.  The 990s will tell you the largest salaries. Aside from that, expenses are in larger categories.  Even in their annual report, these would be lumped under the particular program's expenses. Legitimately so. 

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
Right-- I just meant that this would limit things to that, and probably little more-- at least in that particular budget category.

Many NPO's I've worked with (or been involved with on boards or just as a volunteer) have been significantly more open about their financials than what is required under law.    This is just an instance where it seems clear that anything MORE than to the extent mandated by legal disclosure might violate privacy of recipients.  Sort of like Make-A-Wish.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
What's his LinkedIn say?