FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: USDA  (Read 2662 times)

Description: General School Meal Rules and other

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
USDA
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »
http://blogs.usda.gov/2012/10/01/ask-a-school-meals-expert-how-are-schools-helping-students-adjust-to-the-new-school-meals/

Thought a dedicated USDA thread might be good too -- not as to the USDA form for LTFA student, but for other possibly related to food allergy & school.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:23:06 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: USDA
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »
This may be a good place to post that really helpful USDA doc.  I'll look for it tomorrow.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »

(Outdated post)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:11:36 AM by LinksEtc »

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
I absolutely must find the link later, must, but I saw an article regarding the USDA setting a limit on extraneous calories in school settings to 150 per some time allotment I fail to recall at the moment, But, you all are gonna LOVE this, it was limited to preserve the traditions of in class birthday treats, food based celebrations, and other extra curricular activities using food. Clearly that'll address those extra calories!!! Granted I'm a latchkey kid from NYC, Southie (Boston), and NJ public schools but when did this grand tradition start? We got detention for any food outside the cafeteria.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »
twinturbo, I know we're heading off topic with this, but wanna say as to "when did this tradition start" --

some of us have discussed in the past and it has to be a 70s thing.  Most of us recalled little-to-none of that "it's my birthday and I'll cupcake if I want to" crap when we were in elementary school in the 1960s and early 1970s.

However, it may vary by region in the USA.

In Nevada, there was next-to-none of that crap for birthdays:  we went to each other's bday parties AFTER school or on weekends.  Formal, written invitations were received, RSVPd, and the simple, appropriate party enjoyed OFF SCHOOL TIME.  Closest friends were invited (ONLY), children arrived on time and left on time, there might have been a single party favor (not a loot bag).  Thank yous were handwritten and sent promptly.

If it all sounds a bit "Leave it to Beaver"ish, well

IT WAS.

And it was appropriate, right-sized and NOT AT SCHOOL.

Whew.

Clearly I'm a bit passionate about this topic.   ;D
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline MarkiesMom

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
twinturbo:

This month the USDA proposed a new "smart snacks in school" standard for any foods sold during school hours.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/pressrelease/2013/001913

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5118/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=10805

It would not impact after school fundraisers or school parties, but would place nutritional limits on all foods sold in the cafeteria and anytime/anywhere else during the school day by vending, school stores, PTA, etc.
DD (11) NKFA
DS (9) TNA (h/o ana to pistachio/cashew), asthma, dogs