FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Summer/PT jobs with food allergies?  (Read 14641 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Summer/PT jobs with food allergies?
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
What creative solutions have you come up with?

(It's probably helpful if you give some information about your specific allergens and what kind of precautions you find necessary in your daily life, too-- for example if you are milk allergic and can't eat in any restaurants safely, versus treenut allergic and pretty much live like anyone else that you know, except that you read food labels.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
Re: Summer/PT jobs with food allergies?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
My son simply got a non-food job. In a pharmacy! (So there's even an extra Epi-Pen in a pinch.)

I think it can actually help during the job form/interview process to briefly note the food allergies as a reason why the kid is pursuing a non-food job.

Also, kids with Epi training are greatly in demand as summer-camp counselors. Parents are very reassured to hear the counselor knows how to give an Epi-Pen.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
Also, kids with Epi training are greatly in demand as summer-camp counselors. Parents are very reassured to hear the counselor knows how to give an Epi-Pen.

Absolutely.  When my son went to a camp with his class, I felt better knowing several of the councellors carried epi-pens.  A few had the same allergy as him.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

Absolutely.  When my son went to a camp with his class, I felt better knowing several of the councellors carried epi-pens.  A few had the same allergy as him.

Ditto.

DS had an office job.  Food was not a problem; they had a fridge and many days he brought his lunch, if not there were several safe choice within a few blocks of his office (Chipotle being his fave).  I'm anxious to see where he ends up this summer.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »
DS is looking to get a job as soon as the musical is over to save up for the traveling speech team in case he makes it (the team coach asked him to try out for it--and spoke to us suggesting he audition, so we think he'll probably get in).

He thinks Marshall's or TJ Maxx "because they hire 15 year olds."  DH and I were talking last night about the interview process and how DS should tell about his peanut allergy after the offer.  It's what I do it, unless it's relevant to my ability to do the job.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
Page in a library.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
GP has your DD done that? That's a great job.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »
No -- I keep suggesting it to her.  I know a few of her friends who work at the library as pages --- the hours are very, very flexible for school activities. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline BensMom

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
DS is hopefully on his way to a job at Kumon. :crossed: He's sort of in a trial period. I don't know what their rules are on eating there. He's allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, but can be around other people eating them.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »
Bagging groceries at a higher end grocery store that does not have an open bin of peanuts--with a peanut allergy:  tell me your thoughts.

Offline starlight

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
Bagging groceries at a higher end grocery store that does not have an open bin of peanuts--with a peanut allergy:  tell me your thoughts.

For your son, with what I know of his sensitivity levels, I'd say it might be do-able if wears gloves and he doesn't touch his face. I used to work at McD's when the McFlurries came out and I actually made the Reeses ones with no problems. But is it worth the stress psychologically? Having to bag literal bags of peanuts, PB, Reeses, then paying attention to exactly where you're putting your hands. Even though the environment is probably littered with peanut protein everywhere you go, actively, knowingly touching it isn't easy. Especially if you can't get away to wash your hands immediately after.   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
He wants a job to save money for a school activity that will come with a very hefty price tag. He had created a (nicely done) resume and completed an application for a discount clothing store that he thought hired 15 year olds. He was called for an interview, but they once they determined his age said they couldn't interview him (but did say that his application stood out among the others they had and to please reapply next year :) ).

There are few options for him. He could detassle corn I assume, living where we do now.  This is really not the first thing I would think of for my kid, but it's an option. 

The grocery store he is thinking of hires 15 year olds (well, that's what he said about the other store, but he said they even hire 14 year olds). 

We talked about his having some wipes with him at all times. He thinks in his pocket and I think under a checkout counter. At this grocery store, sackers typically stay in one line. DNQ At this grocery store, there is no carry out (you drive through to pick them up).

Hmmmm.  I don't know.  I think it could work. This store seems good about hiring people with disabilities. One of the sackers I often get (got this evening) I think is on the spectrum.  Not that I am a professional diagnostic person, but just based on conversations and the mistake I made once of switching my bag preference for a few of my items (when I needed more than I brought).  And there are a few other folks there with disabilities. I'm thinking it would not be hard to work out an accommodation with the manager.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:24 AM »
If they use plastic bags, he could presumably handle anything suspect (bakery items, deli trays, that kind of thing) with a pair of those in a pinch, yes?

No harm in interviewing, at any rate.

:yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
Just thinking about detassling --- it's a big summer job around here for the younger teens and actually some good money and not toooooo terribly unpleasant -- but my kids could not do it, due to their environmental allergies.  Does your DS have such allergies?  (trying to remember)

I walked beans one time and was a total itchy mess. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

twinturbo

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
Some of the cashiers I've seen wear nitrile gloves while working. And I've certainly used them where I had to touch questionable people and their items.