FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Why you shouldn't let me feed you or your allergic child  (Read 2175 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Why you shouldn't let me feed you or your allergic child
« on: February 08, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
I could kill you--that's why.

The other day I was making some cornbread. We were out of eggs, so DH got out some powdered egg whites.  I used a measuring spoon for that and two minutes later used the same measuring spoon for the baking powder.

Two days ago I was making egg salad.  I was stirring up the peeled eggs. While I had washed my hands after peeling them, I got a bit of egg on my hand just before I reached into my utensil canister for the right spoon.  Ooops--my hand brushed against a spatula!!  So sorry!

I was making a grilled cheese sandwich today for lunch, and while it was cooking I unloaded the dishwasher. I had washed my hands after making it, but  oops, I did it again.  I picked up one piece of bread from the griddle and moved it.  Got a little butter and bread on my hands and I touched a bowl before I realized tjat I actually had butter on my hands. 

Our wooden cutting board has been used to chop pecans.  I do not run it through the dishwasher.

And this is me--I am aware of what I do for the most part.  We live with several food allergies, and i get cross contamination.  But my house is really not safe for anyone dealing with food allergies other than peanut, sesame, and shellfish. 

So--what cross contamination risks do you perpetuate?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
Re: Why you shouldn't let me feed you or your allergic child
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
I don't cook as much, but I've probably done some of the same things-- esp. the bit with the measuring spoon. 
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
I know that members of our household double-dip with Nutella and Sunbutter both.  So all of our jelly is contaminated with sunflower and hazelnuts.

Flour.  OMG-- the amounts of wheat flour that I use are overwhelming, because I make all of our bread and pizza dough from scratch with my mixer.  Our entire HOUSE is probably a wheat risk.

I also think of others here when we use hummus-- and we do quite frequently, since I'm semi-vegetarian.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline krasota

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »
Anything we're not allergic to.  So, almonds and sesame are all over.  Apples, rice products, corn, sunflower seeds, etc.

We're very careful with eggs, dairy, pork, carrots, chamomile, echinacea, and tomatoes.  DH is very careful with his oats.  We keep the house free of mango, papaya, gluten (except for DH's three oat products), cashews/pistachios, hazelnuts, peanuts, aloe, lavender, and soy. 

No doubledipping, ever . . . except when I wipe off a teaspoon after getting cinnamon and then dip it into the baking soda.  That's it, so don't touch my baking soda if you have a cinnamon allergy.  We go through a lot of spoons and knives and are good at wrist-flicking.  Heck, I don't even close up my bread (Udi's, contains eggs) without washing hands first and then again.  DS doesn't use the grate on the toaster oven, only things in pans.

And kiddo is always washing up because he eats a lot of cheese and fruit products colored with vegetable juice (often carrot or tomato instead of beet).
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
Eggs - we make them every morning with specific pans and spatulas.

Peanuts - several members of the family eat them and peanut butter - designated eating locations only (we have clear rules about who can sit where at the table).

Wheat - We have wheaty items in the home (again the reasoning behind who can sit where) but after a few disasters of mixing while aerosol allergic child was home, I have basically put the kabash on it unless item comes into the home as a premade dough.  I have baked one item while he was at school and MIL keeps mentioning buying a small bag of flour, but I am still not comfortable with that.

We have segregated pans. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
My flour, sugar, baking soda/powder will all be cross contaminated.  Open stick of butter also.

With spices, I really try to pour onto the measuring spoon instead of dipping in, but no idea what DH does.

For this reason, I love squeeze bottles of mustard and mayo.  When we travel, I buy squeeze bottles of jelly or honey for sandwiches so a knife cannot go into the jar.

When we stay at my sister's house, she buys all new baking supplies, labels them and keeps them on a DS "safe" shelf.  If there is any doubt at her house, we just buy a new box/bag of whatever it is.